SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:10 PM
Joined Apr 2008
50 Posts
Discussion
putting a gyro in a PA Addiction

is it possible to put a gyro in an Addiction to make it hover? I just cant seem to be able to hold it there on my own and thought with a little help I could learn it better.If it is possible what type of gyro would I use and what control surfaces would it control? thanks
graggy@dejazzd is offline Find More Posts by graggy@dejazzd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:20 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
It is possible but dont bother. Just grit your teeth and learn the hard way. The addiction is a breeze to hover check your setup. CG etc.
Good luck
jrubenis is offline Find More Posts by jrubenis
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:21 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,117 Posts
possible...yes....good idea....no
Problem with gyros is while it will hover...it will make it where it doesnt want to do much else.

Better to correct your CG, and learn how to hover without the gyro.
Bryan Davison is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Davison
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:31 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Like the other guys are saying...perhaps move your COG back a bit or slow down your thumbs a bit,or even consider carpet bowls.Gyros are for choppers IMHO.
Bleary
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:47 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
instead of a gyro, put money into a sim... keep hovering until you get it. Next time you go back to the real thing, it'll be muuuch easier.

I could hover, but it's pretty clear that I learned torque rolling on Aero Fly Pro Deluxe. There's a lot to be said for repeatedly and fearlessly practicing the same thing over and over until you get it down
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jul 31, 2008, 02:18 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
.. or get a cheap foamie until you're more confident. $12 for an airframe can't be beat!
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/yak55.htm
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:53 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
I have used gyros on the rudder of several planes with success. I found they worked against me on all other surfaces. a simple rate gyro works well with the gain set fairly low.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:54 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
also, if you would search you would see that this question gets asked every week. there is alot of info already here for you to read.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:57 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
I agree with most on this, a gyro in an airplane just isnt practical, or nessicary and besides if you did get it to work as you wish, it isnt you with the skill but rather its the device. And you wont ever develop the skill you wish to have, you only get that by working for it.

And yes, search. Questions get asked here everyday every hour on the hour for which the info already exists, and often it's right in front of you a few threads away.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:03 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
I did learn the hard way (without gyro) but if you ever decide to just have some fun with this hobby, go ahead and install one as it is quite fun and very easy to operate. Most naysayers have never tried it. I also beleive it is a good training tool for hovering. As you get better you gradually decrease the gain on the gyro till you can do it by yourself. Again, the only place that I have found to put it that wouldnt have adverse effects on the rest of the flight is the rudder.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:04 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
I have read a few times on Horizon Hobby website where Mike McConville describes hovering and he always says to turn on the gyro at this point as if it is standard operating practice for him. I beleive it is in the tutorial section at Horizon.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 12:08 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
I have read that too and I think it's a little odd, because gyros are illegal in competition. If you're just a weekend flyer, I think it's fine to use them, but the Addiction is one of the most stable planes in its size, and you should be able to hover it just fine without electronic help. If you can't, you either need more practice, or you have something set up wrong. Lateral balance and a straight rudder is pretty important, as is balancing the prop and having the correct thrust angle. You can hover a plane without these things, but it's gonna be really hard.

I second the Yak-55 foamy - if you are afraid of busting up the pretty plane, get a cheap foamy. If you can learn to hove the Yak-55, you can hover anything.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 01, 2008, 02:20 AM
I butcher foam
Springfield, MO
Joined Jun 2008
1,559 Posts
Gyro for hovering..that's not ninja at all..
rballz is offline Find More Posts by rballz
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:56 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,397 Posts
I read once where, if all you want to do is hover a plane, make it real tail heavy... Putting the battery in the tail section will allow hovering, but not anything else.

Or, if you don't secure the battery pack good enough in a vertical maneuver.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:06 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Yeah, get a sim and learn how to hover "the real way." The new RealFlight 4.0 has a really nice hovering tutorial, too.

I don't mind using technology for helping me fly better (mixes, expo, ...) , but using a gyro almost crosses the line of "cheating" in my book....
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94