SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
Working and living with wife in Helsinki
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
Discussion
Back to gliders after 13 year break

hi all.And greetings from helsinki finland.
my name's chris.dunno what made me leave this great hobby.i guess i got to pursue other things.anyhow after a long long pause im back and hooked.

im almost done building my spirit 2m. has gone well, a bit slow.Must admit the manual is pritty shite and quite vague at times.Keeps you wondering, did i do this right now? and loads of typos also in the grammer.not very pro!

i had so planned to include spoilers in this spirit, but now at last minute, i decided not to.i guessed it must make it a pain everytime you go flying to have to hook up the cables to the wings and servo each time you take off the wing. Having also not been flying for a long long time, i think i best take it easy and learn how to do it again. i was about 15 when i quit the hobby.
perhaps my next plane that i build will have spoilers then.probably not a real must anyhow for the spirit.

while in germany just awhile ago i bought the DG-1000 rc scale sail plane.i think i will train first on the spirit.im guessing the dg-1000 is more sleek and a faster flying sailplane surely.

Hope to get my spirit flying within the next 2-3 weeks.Id like to enjoy august and september here in finland, before it goes all winter on me.

ordered a high start from Tower the other day. sure will be abit nerve wracking to shoot the aircraft up first time..probably no sudden movements though ehh..nice and easy.

Anyhow i wont go on any longer...but nice to meet you all.

c
bubbly1 is offline Find More Posts by bubbly1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:05 PM
Joined Jun 2005
599 Posts
Spoilers are great for getting out of thermals and increasing the rate of descent for landing in a small area.
If you have adequate space to land in you will be fine without them.
guy mckenzie is offline Find More Posts by guy mckenzie
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:08 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Welcome back! I fly a Spirit 2m RES and the spoilers are wonderful. The way mine is rigged it only takes a couple seconds to hook in the cable. The biggest hasel is banding the wings on, not the spoiler hooks. If you reconsider the spoilers, I have a great configuration that works flawlessly and would be happy to share it with you.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:15 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Welcome Back

I have quit and come back a number of times. I can just never stay awy on a permanent basis. .. Just something about soaring and friends. The nicest folks are the in soaring family. Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
hey guys thanks for the hellos. Ahh darn you now i just sealed up my wing panels, so looks like no spoliers on this baby anymore. just have the fuselage to go. You know dunno if any of you with a finnished spirit may have some close up "completed" shots of your plane, it might help me to see, and make the rest of my building a little easier, such as where you have put servos and so on. Having done this a lot earlier im sure my old memories will come back. But nice anyhow to see your birds.
I think i will add spoliers to next plane..

im really considering the Minimoa from here..just love that plane.Unfortunately these are arf's i think..i guess a bit hard to balsa make some of these, especially fuselage design etc

http://shop.strato.de/epages/6131678...egories/Segler

dunno if there are any cool pure balsa kits of like older style gliders.I like glider kits with canopys. Sophisticated Lady still isnt a bad look plane, but i have built 2 i think already back when i was a kid.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
Sorry i think my link wasent all that clear..but this sure is a beauty..i guess its balsa made wings and fiberglass fuselage. and price isnt all that bad either.
http://shop.strato.de/WebRoot/Store1...Goeppingen.jpg
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:49 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
The best place to buy wood sailplanes is from Skybench Aerotech www.skybench.com . There are many Oly III's being built over the globe right now...got one myself. Ray has lots of great designs and the kits are super...just FYI
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:53 PM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
hey dwells..i actually just had a sudden after thought..im thinking, maybe..maybe is it still possible to add in the spoilers.im basically at the point where i have sheeted up the leading edge of both wings, and put sheeting on the inner wing bits.so i have closed off that area.Perhaps making it darn hard to do the spoliers still??? i did buy the wing servo tube + wire. and i guess one needs to drill.i mean i have a pritty good idea how it goes. but im just thinking that now, at this point in time, would it still be worthwhile to add the spoilers.it does seem like a pritty big job, at least with very minimal instructions on the manual. So i had thought, i wana get out and fly this baby, and perhaps save myself 2 weeks of extra hastle with spoilers. this has been a pritty slow plane coming, had some neck problems this summer, so building wasent as intense and im about a month behind schedule.But let me know what you think Mr.Dwells..id rather not start cutting up and ripping things apart to get those spoiler tubes in =)
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:59 PM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
oh yea hey thanks mister wells very much for this. i have indeed been to this site before.i actually emailed them, dont think i ever got a reply.but yeah for sure, need to keep this one in mind. will have to order a kit from there. i live in finland myself.might cost 30 euro or so for mail order. nice to see some of these old style kits coming back. such a shame to see that ARF's are taking over the world =)
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:11 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
ARF's are a quick way to get stick time. My Spirit is an ARF and was built very well. There are some mods to the Spirit that will make it a better flyer. Please review this page http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...spiritmods.htm . If you've already sheeted the wings, it's not worth ripping it apart for the spoilers but any of these other mods that are not too late to incorporate will give you a more stable plane. There is also a recent build log on the SP2m.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:41 PM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
spirit

ahh many thanks for this link. you know throughout the building of the wing i kept wondering why the whole leading edge was not to be sheeted. seems very weird.i think maybe while i still can, i should at least sheet the outer leading edge panels of the wing..funny the plans dont call for this.
you would think spirit could update their manuals a little ehh with some of these clearly mistakes.

i think perhaps rather than having to carve 1/32" out of each spar back to make sheeting fit, i will just use some balsa filler, thank god for that and sand and try to make a smooth surface.balsa filler works like a charm. didnt have that back in 1989! =)
Old Aug 01, 2008, 10:20 AM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
spirit 2m

boy i tell you its sure gonna be a tight fit for the wing joiner for my spirit.
must say i have seen better joiners, this one seems a little silly..
its sure gonna be tight. and looks like i have 1 1/16th ply left over..anytime you have something extra you think, "what did i do wrong"
but might take some heavy sanding to get this wing joiner to fit.
im just wondering, am i supposed to glue the joiner into one of the wings.Obviously i built the removable wings option.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:50 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
IMHO, I would'nt glue the joiner to the wing as they are prone to breaking or stress fracture on hard landing. I would however use it to make a template so you can have a few on hand in case of any harsh landings.
Welcome to RC Groups and back to flying
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Aug 01, 2008, 12:31 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,012 Posts
Mimimoa kits

bubbly1, if you like Minimoas, and also like building, look here :

Krick Modelltechnik (http://www.krick-modell.de/frameset.html ) :
1:5 Minimoa, 3.4 m span, all wood kit, die cut parts : http://www.krick-modell.de/shop_fach...tailseite.asp?

CNC Modellbautechnik Bayer (www.cnc.modellbautechnik.de )
1:3 Minimoa, all wood kit, cnc-router cut parts : http://www.cnc-modellbautechnik.de/h...e/minimoa.html
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts
all praise be to allah

good lord...love that minimoa...nice stuff..have to save all these links.