HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
223 Posts
Mine arrived safely took it out of the box and checked parts all seems well, ive took the lander metal 3s fan out, i will be putting a lander 10 blade dps fan in and running on 6s, will start the build as soon as my fan arrives should be a quick build
disho is offline Find More Posts by disho
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,372 Posts
Mine wasn't a quick build...... 18 mths (?) later and still not finished.... LOL
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC/Battery Anti-Spark lead
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:47 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Simon View Post

For the record setup is L2855 2300 kv on 5S 3000 mah and CS10.
Glad to hear that the maiden went well! Mine's still languishing in its box, due to the fact that I can't find a suitable pilot. Anything I find that might fit is out of stock! Would you mind letting me know where you got your pilot from and what it is? Thanks!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:06 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
2,884 Posts
The CS10/Turnigy L2855-2300kv is a good option for the Panther for scale speeds and it doesn't the stock 60A ESC to be changed.

The Lander Alloy 10Blade 6S EDF should make it go.

The airframe can handle some weight very well but needs to be brought in for landing with some power. CG is very important (62-65mm) to avoid balooning when power is cut.

Had a few flights on Sunday...

RC Lander Panther F9F-2 - ChangeSun 10Blade EDF/L2855-2300kv 5S - Flight 30 (3 min 7 sec)
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
Glad to hear that the maiden went well! Mine's still languishing in its box, due to the fact that I can't find a suitable pilot. Anything I find that might fit is out of stock! Would you mind letting me know where you got your pilot from and what it is? Thanks!
Hi Gordon

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x56x66mm_.html

Unfortunately out of stock...
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:30 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,014 Posts
Simon - thanks for that - seems that size pilot is a bit of a rare beast right now!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:04 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
The CS10/Turnigy L2855-2300kv is a good option for the Panther for scale speeds and it doesn't the stock 60A ESC to be changed.
Nice video, and great - quiet - sound! You have the bottom cheater completely open if I remember correctly, and no cheaters cut in the top of the fuse?
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:58 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Nice video, and great - quiet - sound! You have the bottom cheater completely open if I remember correctly, and no cheaters cut in the top of the fuse?
cheers
Clemens
Clemens,

the bottom cheater is 90% open and 2 small cheaters on the top.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:26 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Mine has the perforated screen at the bottom and the two cheaters fully opened and is as quiet as Anlucas'

Definitively my quietest EDF so far
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:07 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post

The Lander Alloy 10Blade 6S EDF should make it go.

The airframe can handle some weight very well but needs to be brought in for landing with some power. CG is very important (62-65mm) to avoid balooning when power is cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--thswpCJQ4
i have tried mine at 65mm cg and as far forward as 58mm cg. although this reduces the ballooning a little, i believe you will never really eliminate it while using the bottom cheater hole. it creates a significant area of low pressure when the power is on, hence when the power is removed the area of low pressure goes away and the plane starts to climb. conversely, i have noticed that when you add power after gliding and allowing the plane to slow down , the plane will dip or lose height for a fraction of a second before the thrust and lift equal things out. try to think of it as having a vacuum cleaner installed in the plane and the intake for it is underneath. i also hand launch and have the wheel wells open to use as hand holds and allow extra air- this has the same effect as the cheater hole. all you can do is anticipate the pitch change when throttling on or off. the bad part is when you are low and slow (are gliding)and are about to drop short of your landing area- you add a little power to extend your flight path and initially it sinks-you just have to be ready for it or add power a little sooner
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:36 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0005 View Post
i have tried mine at 65mm cg and as far forward as 58mm cg. although this reduces the ballooning a little, i believe you will never really eliminate it while using the bottom cheater hole. it creates a significant area of low pressure when the power is on, hence when the power is removed the area of low pressure goes away and the plane starts to climb. conversely, i have noticed that when you add power after gliding and allowing the plane to slow down , the plane will dip or lose height for a fraction of a second before the thrust and lift equal things out. try to think of it as having a vacuum cleaner installed in the plane and the intake for it is underneath. i also hand launch and have the wheel wells open to use as hand holds and allow extra air- this has the same effect as the cheater hole. all you can do is anticipate the pitch change when throttling on or off. the bad part is when you are low and slow (are gliding)and are about to drop short of your landing area- you add a little power to extend your flight path and initially it sinks-you just have to be ready for it or add power a little sooner
I have experienced all this when the cg is behind 62mm.

With the cg set 60-62, I get no balooning at all when cutting power for the final approach. I think it's almost visible in the video but not quite...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:19 PM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
909 Posts
So the CG can go as far forward as 60mm? I've yet to maiden mine
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:13 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,759 Posts
yes , the elevator does get less responsive , but doable.

remember, a nose heavy plane may fly lousy , but a tail heavy one flys once
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:19 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooyukvoon View Post
So the CG can go as far forward as 60mm? I've yet to maiden mine
It's not necessary to go that far. It may take longer to rotate on take-off.

62-65mm is just right.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:58 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,393 Posts
Motor and Fan Replacement

Last night I replaced my E-Flite DF15 (3600kv) with HET 6904 fan (which was anemic in performance together) with a Cyclone Power 480-3300kv 4S/5S w/ CS 10 blade setup. I'm using SkyPower 100 amp ESC w/ 6 amp SBEC (HeadsUpRC).

Here are the numbers using Zippy Compact 35C 3300 4S battery:

Amps: 70 max
Watts: 985

Ran at about 650 watts and 45-50 amps at 60% throttle where I think it will run most of the time.

Ran for 3 minutes mostly at 75% or higher throttle and it had 3.75 to 3.8 per cell. The ESC was just warm to the touch, the battery was just warm to the touch and the wires from battery and to motor were cool but the smaller wires next to my watt meter were HOT. I use EC5's for connectors on battery/ESC and use 5mm connectors to motor even though it is a patch cord down to 3.5 mm that came with motor...can't reach those wires to see how hot they were since they are under the motor housing and don't stick out any.

Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014