SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:37 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
363 Posts
It only took a second to knowi want the electric retracts.
splais is offline Find More Posts by splais
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,658 Posts
F9f-2 Manual

Here is the shortcut to the manual:
http://www.rclander.com/Files/%7Bb8f...l%20Manual.pdf

Russ

P.S. Ran four batteries through the Panther yesterday...on the 4S Eflite 3600kv motor with 4000/4500 Zippy 40C batteries and HET 6904 four blade fan, it is not overpowered by any means but it flies well. I hv 80 amp ESC and it and the batteries come down just barely warm after 4 minutes of 80-100% throttle. It flies "heavy" to the touch, especially on landings. It glides in nicely with flaps but it will run out of elevator if you don't come in with enough speed. It runs out pretty long even with flaps. I have over 400 feet of runway and I usually use it all but I don't worry about trying to stop too short. I'm sure 200 feet would be doable. The nav lights aren't very visible but the afterburner is. The "headlight" on the left wing is great on landings. Wish there was one on each wing. The electric retracts are a must and the RC Lander version is stout.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Drawing to a close!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
It's watts for dinner
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
963 Posts
RE: the new 10-blade RC Lander fan setup - a few pages back there were some posts about losing power without the old cheater intake being opened up. Is that still an issue for folks with the new 10-blade factory setup, or has another solution been found?

I was thinking about getting one of these with the new 10-blade but am a bit concerned about the lack of airflow impacting performance. I'm not totally averse to opening up the cheater but for the pricetag of a loaded Panther I rather think that type of field mod shouldn't be necessary to get optimal performance...
sjw985 is offline Find More Posts by sjw985
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:31 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,658 Posts
Edited video of Panther flights from 3 sources

Contains never before seen footage! Available In H.D. !!!

Hehe...

RC Lander Panther Flight (Navy Version) (4 min 39 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Nice flying and video.

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,658 Posts
Thanks Mike. It's addicting, isn't it?

Hi, my name is Russ. I've been RC'ing for 25 years. It's been 3 days since I last used RC foamies...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:50 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Thanks Mike. It's addicting, isn't it?

Hi, my name is Russ. I've been RC'ing for 25 years. It's been 3 days since I last used RC foamies...
It is addicting.......no foam for three days ur hands must be shaking. ; )
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jul 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985 View Post
RE: the new 10-blade RC Lander fan setup - a few pages back there were some posts about losing power without the old cheater intake being opened up. Is that still an issue for folks with the new 10-blade factory setup, or has another solution been found?

I was thinking about getting one of these with the new 10-blade but am a bit concerned about the lack of airflow impacting performance. I'm not totally averse to opening up the cheater but for the pricetag of a loaded Panther I rather think that type of field mod shouldn't be necessary to get optimal performance...
I would be interested in another solution as well. With the closed cheater whole its definitely half as fast as with the open one. Maybe you could open up the sides of the fuse as nighthawk mentioned.
Its absolutely worth flying on 6s. I am using a 6s 4000mAh without problems.
rexmexx is offline Find More Posts by rexmexx
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
550 Posts
I hand launch and land. I took the gear covers off to open it up. Have not maidened yet.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmexx View Post
Nighthawk, did you open up the sidewalls on yours? Do you have pictures? I have the same setup like you and opened up the cheater hole cover at the bottom... not happy with this solution.
Yes, opened up two large ducts on the sides of the fuse. Fan now has plenty of flow, the top spring loaded intake doors barely flinch now.

Only problem is I'm only getting 1400watts and 64amps out of my fan. This is on a 6S 3700 25C Zippy Compact. Battery is at ~21.8V under full load. Buddy of mine with the same fan is getting almost 1700watts peak and 75amps with a 6S 4000 25C nano.
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, FL, North Palm Beach
Joined Sep 2003
103 Posts
Air Worthiness Notice RCLander F9 Panther – Maiden flight elevator failure

I usually just “lurk” and read all the useful comments the members send in. However, I felt this might help someone else.
First, I recently purchased this kit on line so although it was in perfect condition it was not recently built in the RCLander factory. The workmanship was the best I’ve seen on this type of EDF and I used a 6 cell (two three cell) 3800 40c battery with the CG at the two wing mounting screws. The kit came with the metal mechanical retracts but had the original plastic ones already installed so I decided to leave them for the first (maiden) flight. The weather was beautiful with a nice breeze right down the runway.
The take off had a moment of excitement when the left gear came unlocked but the speed was already up so I continued with the climb out (thinking I would deal with it later) which was very uneventful in that it was near perfect and for the first minute or two the plane flew as if on rails although I could see the left gear down and the right main not fully tucked in (yes, I checked them many times prior to flying). Then the real fun started, from flying on rails to doing a Six Flags roller coaster ride - totally all over the sky. I thought that the battery had come loose and that was causing me to have a very tail heavy beast on my hands. I had just started to turn down wind when all this began and as I tried to get it back to land, I would counter each dive with power on and each climb with power off. When I was able to get it near the runway I decided for safety sake I would get it down NOW. Power off, and a fairly nice glide into the grass resulted in tearing out both mains and bending the nose strut badly. From the top view, the plane looked perfect. When I took the canopy off, I saw the battery had not moved at all and after moving the elevator stick I saw the problem. The elevator horn had pulled out completely so I was flying with no elevator control. The factory horn was the type with two pins glued to the elevator – not screwed through the surface with a backing plate as it DOES HAVE NOW. So, anyone who has this type of elevator horn should immediately change it!
There’s more my story but that is about flight number two, which was as hairy as my first. In the interest of not boring everyone, I’ll post that next so you can read it or skip it.
Howard
howieal is offline Find More Posts by howieal
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Sep 2003
103 Posts
Air Worthiness Notice RCLander F9 Panther – Second Flight Aileron Servo Failure

I made the repairs to the landing gear from my Maiden flight crash landing. I replaced the nose gear with the metal one I had and repaired (re bent) the two plastic mains and re installed them. That was after I replaced the factory elevator horn with one that had a back plate. Time to fly again and the takeoff was a repeat of the first one. The left main gave way on takeoff (I have an observation about that and I will pass that along later) but continuing on resulted in another beautiful climb out and all was well . I was finally getting to enjoy the speed and handling of this jet and how nice the yellow accents looked in the blue sky. Things were going so well that I was actually thinking about how I should land - just the one gear hanging down or lower the other two and do my best. I was starting my turn downwind while staying in a racetrack pattern when I started to have the hardest time turning the plane. It seemed like a totally uncoordinated turn even using rudder. When I tried my next turn, the plane went so wide, it was well past the pit area and that always is scary! Again, the brain was telling me to get the plane down NOW! I decided to “use what you have” and lowered the nose and other main gear.My turn to final was a mess to behold and it looked like my flare was going to be about a foot below the runway. A blast of power saved the landing as the plane flattened out just in time to actually look decent even while leaning on the one bad gear leg. A couple of “good save” comments helped my bad feelings about now having two really bad flight experiences. The issue this time was that the right aileron servo failed. It was not a complete failure but enough that it would move very very slowly in response to the stick and then return just as slowly so it was always far behind anything I tried to do to correct what it was causing to happen. The weather is forecast to be windy for the next few days so I’ll make the repairs and hope that flight number three will be the kind we all hope for.
My landing gear comment is this. I tested the gear using a receiver pack I use for just that purpose. It is a six volt pack and when I test the gear, they open and close smartly. I’m wondering if the 5 amp BEC is not delivering enough power to raise and lower the gear into the locked position? I will be checking that out.
Keep’m flying, everyone!
Howard
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,313 Posts
5 amps is a bunch of power, dont think thats your issue. imo, if we are talking the chepo mech retracts, no matter what the issue is the bottom line is they are junk. they have caused nothing but grief , so if u have the replacements use them .
hopefully u have all the bad luck out of the way

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Sep 2003
103 Posts
Replacements are in. Thanks Chuck.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,658 Posts
Mechanical Retracts

+1 on mechanical retracts are junk!

Also, I replace all stock servos with metal gear. It's noisier but I've lost two planes over the years to bad stock servos. I recently lost a beautiful F-86 'cos I was too lazy to replace stock servos and it cost me. An aileron servo went out as I was turning on final and was too low to compensate.

I got this Panther from the factory but I put in my own metal gear servos (nose gear servo only exception).

RE: control horns - I do wish RC Lander would provide back plated horns for more security. I used what they provided but I Gorilla Glued 'em in but good!

Good luck on your re-maiden.
RCG Plus Member