HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Weird Rudder Mix with Throttle

I've almost completed my new Panther. It has the lighting system from the factory with the separate controller that plugs into the ESC. Well...all of the lights work well as do all of the other systems...EXCEPT...when I increase the throttle, the rudder increases left input all the way to max throttle!!! I don't have any type of mixes in my Futaba 7C at all but even so I deleted and reset my plane to start all over and it did that same problem again.

I can only suspect the lights controller??? I'm going to unhook it tonight and try it all without the lights.

Anyone else ever had this problem with RCLander lights?

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Drawing to a close!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:22 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
1,035 Posts
RCLander Light Set Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
I've almost completed my new Panther. It has the lighting system from the factory with the separate controller that plugs into the ESC. Well...all of the lights work well as do all of the other systems...EXCEPT...when I increase the throttle, the rudder increases left input all the way to max throttle!!! I don't have any type of mixes in my Futaba 7C at all but even so I deleted and reset my plane to start all over and it did that same problem again.

I can only suspect the lights controller??? I'm going to unhook it tonight and try it all without the lights.

Anyone else ever had this problem with RCLander lights?

Russ
We doubt it is the light controller. Pull the plug from the Rudder Channel 4 on the receiver. Then check to see what light functions have stopped. It sounds like you have the throttle cable from the Light Unit some how also plugged into channel four via one of the Y cables. Attached is a really good color diagram of the light set wire hook up. Remember that while the lights get their power from the receiver, the afterburner ring gets it's power from the LiPO battery balance tap and not from the receiver.

Regards

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:53 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
It's not the light controller

I unplugged everything but the ESC and Rudder last night...no lights controller wired in at all. It still moved the rudder with the throttle!

I then got all my other planes and tested them...They ALL move rudder with throttle.

The only change that I have made recently to my Futaba 7C TX is to replace the stock battery with a lipo that has more voltage.

What I did for the time being is to program in a Mix that mixes throttle (Master) with Rudder (Slave) that adds right rudder as throttle increases...I had to put about 25% to neutralize the effect. Not real comfortable leaving that for long term.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:01 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,773 Posts
I have a Futaba 7C using a 3S lipo and it doesn't do odd things! LOL
Something is rotten in Denmark there! I would think you should be able to pinpoint what it is... it seems like some base setting.... like you are using heli/cyclic mode or something! hehe
Check it all over.... I expect you will find some "Oh DOH" setting in there.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Yeah, I did an Acro reset to clear out any settings and it shows plane pic. One guy suggested Stick Mode setting but my sticks are still Mode 2 but I will check when I get home 'cos he said there are 4 stick mode settings, not just 1 and 2. I don't know how I could have done that but stranger things have happened.

Do you use your TX lipo at full charge? Some have said that they discharge them to 11.1 volts as to not give the TX too much power.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,773 Posts
I just charge them fully. I have not seen an issue. I expect they have a regulator and run down at 5V (or maybe 6v), but 12V or so going to 5V should not be that big a deal for it (the regulator).
I have one Fut7C and 3 T9X's all with the same 1C TX lipo type in them.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:13 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Lights Working!

I adjusted the "pot" on the light controller on the Panther last night (Thanks Max for info on trouble shooting!) and now all lights including afterburner are working great.

Still no word from Futaba about this weird TX issue but I'm OK to maiden her this weekend now that all flight controls are functioning well.

I'll post some pics of lighting wiring and operation hopefully tonight.

I put an E-Flite BL-15 3600kv motor and HET 6904 fan in the Panther and it SCREAMS on the ground...can't wait to see it in the air. Will stuff my Zippy 4S-4500 as far in the nose as it will go!

Now to get all of those darn waterslide decals on her (hate waterslide!) and start ground testing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:17 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Maiden tomorrow of new Panther if weather holds out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Jul 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
my last one was the old version, so huge cheater at the bottom. Id like to avoid doing that with this one. Will probably add two more intakes on the sides.

The new fan unit does sound great though in the airframe
Nighthawk, did you open up the sidewalls on yours? Do you have pictures? I have the same setup like you and opened up the cheater hole cover at the bottom... not happy with this solution.
rexmexx is offline Find More Posts by rexmexx
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:44 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Video of Nav Lights and Afterburner

No maiden this weekend...rain soaked runway prevented it. Here are some pics and vids of Navigation lights and Afterburner lights.

Video Collage of Lights:

RC Lander Panther w/ Nav Lights and Afterburner (1 min 52 sec)

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RGS2010; Nov 05, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:45 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Quote:
No maiden this weekend...rain soaked runway prevented it. Here are some pics and vids of Navigation lights and Afterburner lights.
Pretty slick Russ thanks for sharing.

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:03 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Got to maiden this morning. No video. Was a thing of beauty, a few clicks of Down elevator and it was rock solid. Used Zippy 4500 all the way in nose and it balanced great also flew with Zippy 4000 40c and it was fine. It flew great except needs lots of speed to complete a loop. One other minor problem is I almost ran out of elevator on takeoff. Even with full flaps. Landed great with no ballooning at all since it has top vents mod. Lights worked great especially afterburner on takeoff and high speed flybys. When landed noticed that nose was pointed down so I just put smaller wheels on mains to compensate. Electric Retracts and flaps from factory are flawless. I put in all other retracts, HK metal gear 13 gram servos for ailerons , elevator and rudder. Hv eflite 3600kv motor with Cyclone 80 esc with 6 amp sbec. Landed like a dream with full flaps.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RGS2010; Nov 13, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:37 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Transmitter back from Futaba

Quote:
I unplugged everything but the ESC and Rudder last night...no lights controller wired in at all. It still moved the rudder with the throttle!

I then got all my other planes and tested them...They ALL move rudder with throttle.

The only change that I have made recently to my Futaba 7C TX is to replace the stock battery with a lipo that has more voltage.

What I did for the time being is to program in a Mix that mixes throttle (Master) with Rudder (Slave) that adds right rudder as throttle increases...I had to put about 25% to neutralize the effect. Not real comfortable leaving that for long term.

Russ
Futaba receiver back from Futaba...the Rudder/Throttle "Pot" was bad and they replaced it within warranty....love those guys!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,430 Posts
You got guts for sure flying with that mix to resolve an unknown problem!! Assuming that you used that Tx for maiden and then sent off to Futaba that makes a 4 day turn around, great service. That problem sure is one I have never heard of before.
Seems you have a new favourite model, mine is so beat up now after two years but like the Timex of old it keeps on ticking! Enjoy.
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
You got guts for sure flying with that mix to resolve an unknown problem!! Assuming that you used that Tx for maiden and then sent off to Futaba that makes a 4 day turn around, great service. That problem sure is one I have never heard of before.
Seems you have a new favourite model, mine is so beat up now after two years but like the Timex of old it keeps on ticking! Enjoy.
Oh, I forgot to mention that my buddy had an extra Futaba 7C that he loaned me so I wouldn't have to make that difficult (stupid) decision. It was exactly a week turnaround though from Texas to Illinois and back!
RCG Plus Member