SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:57 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpflyer View Post
Kind of sounds like a bad connection between the esc and motor. Are you using bullets or they soldered? Check those and see if it makes a difference.
I agree.. I had brand new bad quality bullets that caused the fan to stutter
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:10 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Yes, I soldered 5 mm EC5 connectors and they are solid on all sides. I even tried a second motor/fan and same results. I got from PW-RC and may have to return to Phillip...rats!
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Drawing to a close!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Hi guys

I just ordered the XTB kit version from HK and was planning on using the exact same setup as in my HK vampire: CS10 70mm with L2855 2300kv on 5S 3000mah. I'm more after turbine like sound than ultimate speed

Does the CS10 rotor fit the Lander Alloy housing or should I use the CS one ?

How is the CS housing intallation, direct fit or not ? Will the proposed setup supply enough thrust for safe handlaunch ? (it 's fine on the vampire...)

Last question, is it worth opening the upper cheaters ? Will it improve sound and/or thrust ?
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:11 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,143 Posts
CS70 rotor too big for Lander shroud

I can answer only one of your questions since I haven't started my Panther build yet: The CS70 rotor has to be sanded down, around 2mm in diameter since it has no clearance in the Lander shroud (you can force it in, but it won't turn).
Eventually I decided against using the Lander shroud - because it is rather heavy compared to the CS70 plastic shroud, and if you want to keep the Panter very light with light lipo you need a light EDF not to have CG issues...
I will be using a standard CS70, and open the exhaust to at least 60mm. As it is (56) you will have a fast model but not much static thrust due to stalling fan blades. Not good for handlaunch.
anlucas has made some thrust tests already and he claims the CS70 is an easy fit
PS: In rectrospect I am not sure if dismantling the Lander fan was a good idea: Ruined the inrunner in the event, and almost the shaft adapter, there was so much thread lock on everything (had to drill out the motor screws, and I was not very delicate doing it, but who needs a heavy old 4370kV inrunner. I thought..) - but if you think you might want to use a nice-sounding but very heavy 3s fan in the future, leave it as it is
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:28 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Clemens !

I will not deal with the Lander fan I will just swap it with the complete CS unit.

How do you actually increase the exhaust diameter ? Shortening, sanding ?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:46 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Simon View Post
Thanks for the feedback Clemens !

I will not deal with the Lander fan I will just swap it with the complete CS unit.

How do you actually increase the exhaust diameter ? Shortening, sanding ?
To fit the stock cs10 shroud you need to sand some foam away.

The best woosh sound comes with the bottom cheater either covered as it comes or half open(dremel some of the plastic off).
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
I can answer only one of your questions since I haven't started my Panther build yet: The CS70 rotor has to be sanded down, around 2mm in diameter since it has no clearance in the Lander shroud (you can force it in, but it won't turn).
Eventually I decided against using the Lander shroud - because it is rather heavy compared to the CS70 plastic shroud, and if you want to keep the Panter very light with light lipo you need a light EDF not to have CG issues...
I will be using a standard CS70, and open the exhaust to at least 60mm. As it is (56) you will have a fast model but not much static thrust due to stalling fan blades. Not good for handlaunch.
anlucas has made some thrust tests already and he claims the CS70 is an easy fit
PS: In rectrospect I am not sure if dismantling the Lander fan was a good idea: Ruined the inrunner in the event, and almost the shaft adapter, there was so much thread lock on everything (had to drill out the motor screws, and I was not very delicate doing it, but who needs a heavy old 4370kV inrunner. I thought..) - but if you think you might want to use a nice-sounding but very heavy 3s fan in the future, leave it as it is
cheers
Clemens
I ran the L2855 2300kv in a CS10 on both 5 and 6S in my Panther. It was quick on 5S, and near ballistic on 6.
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:06 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Did you increase the exhaust nozzle diameter as clemens suggested ?

How was the hand launch with those heavy packs ?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:18 PM
Marton, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while as I build my own panther from the kit version.

I used spackle to fill in all the gaps then glassed it for strength. I didn't seem to add much weight but now its very strong indeed, great protection from those small hanger knocks.

It's complete and up and flying, but here a pic of it just after it was paininted.
savvy is offline Find More Posts by savvy
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Simon View Post
Did you increase the exhaust nozzle diameter as clemens suggested ?

How was the hand launch with those heavy packs ?
The stock exhaust opening on mine was 59mm if I recall. Hand launch is super easy, check on the last page for my video..
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:38 AM
United Kingdom, Salford
Joined Jun 2011
93 Posts
Hi Savvy, which kit are you building from?
Heliflyer18 is offline Find More Posts by Heliflyer18
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:50 PM
Marton, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17219

I got the $62 3s version from HK, used the 3s alloy motor casing but used a CS 10 blade fan and a 4S (Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner).

I also used electric retracts and some trailing link oleo legs, and glassed the whole thing as mentioned before.

Here's a pic of the completed build:-
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Looks good Savvy nicely done.
Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:40 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,143 Posts
CS70 in Lander shroud powering Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
I got the $62 3s version from HK, used the 3s alloy motor casing but used a CS 10 blade fan and a 4S (Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner)...
That's the setup I was initially considering - what lipo are you using to balance correct CG? Did you measure current on 4s (I guess it should be between 45 and 50A).
- And how about the flying? Enough power? Even better sound than the plastic shroud?
Thanks in advance
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:21 AM
Marton, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
Quote:
That's the setup I was initially considering - what lipo are you using to balance correct CG? Did you measure current on 4s (I guess it should be between 45 and 50A).
- And how about the flying? Enough power? Even better sound than the plastic shroud?
I went with the metal shroud more because the plastic one was getting squashed a bit and causing the fan to rub. Not happy with the sound I'm getting, I can't seem to get the CS 10 blade balanced well enough to get that awesome sound.

I'm using a Nano tech 35c-75c 4000mah 4cell which balances out quite well though I was worried the whole thing would be too heavy with the electric retracts etc.

I've only had two short flights so far. With the trailing link retracts I hope it would be able to take off from long grass however the ground where I flew the maided was too bumpy, it couldn't seem to get airborne. So my 11 year old Son says "Just chuck it Dad, you'll be right".

So I tried a hand launch which was a bit dicey, I needed a lot of down trim on the elevator so after a hand launch it wanted to pitch up which was placing it into a near-stall. I did manage to get it high enough to get the feel however and trim it up. Once trimmed it was awesome to fly, very smooth in the air.

The second hand launch was much easier because it was trimmed, but only had time for a 2min flight due to using the same battery as the first flight. Very happy so far, seems fast enough and flies very well despite all the weight.