makes sense. and i am not in the habit of making slow passes
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:10 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,646 Posts
On my first full flight...I came in fairly slow and the nose still was too high and I lost too much air speed before I could get the nose down and that's what caused the crash on the gear that took out the nose gear plywood platform.

On second landing with more speed I could put it perfectly on the runway but with max concentration. So I will find the balance for me of programming with flaps, elevator and throttle to make it work.

Interestingly, my buddy at the flying field has two EDF's (F-22 & F-35) both 70 mm that do exactly the same thing as far as ballooning. This is my first jet to do this.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:38 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Again cg at 62mm
Flaps at 30 degrees and land with half to 1/3 throttle. Depending on the headwind
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:38 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Again cg at 62mm
Flaps at 30 degrees and land with half to 1/3 throttle. Depending on the headwind
agreed, cg is very important on any w/ narrow wing cord. i have found as little as a 1/8" change can make a big difference. sounds like u are describing pitch sensitivity which lots of airframes display . i always make sure to have a positive rate of descent on approach , keeping the nose down slightly , use the throttle to control rate of descent and elevator to keep the nose down and flair only at the ground. when i find it's hard to make small enough adjustments w/ the elevator then its time reduce travel and or add expo and or move the cg slightly forward.

chuck.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:07 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,646 Posts
Thx and will try to get some good video this weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I would suggest that if you are moving cy forward keep your elevator travel as it is since you will notice less eeffectiveness with cg cuange only
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:34 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Lander Panther

Test only.

Still trying to simply pics here in a simple manner. If this works, you get to see my recently hand/bungee launch Panther ready to go..... (This model 3S powered - I`m about to start on its 4S powered replacement shortly)

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
Test only.

Still trying to simply pics here in a simple manner. If this works, you get to see my recently hand/bungee launch Panther ready to go..... (This model 3S powered - I`m about to start on its 4S powered replacement shortly)

Alan W

Eureka!

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:30 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
Test only.

Alan W
Thanks for the photo Alan.

I'm still setting myself up for bungee launching (even got the bungee chord) cos I think all my flying friends are getting sick of their nickname - 'Chuck'!!!

Apart from the Panther, I've also got a HK F-14 and (yet to be finished) FF Super Sabre that would benefit from bungee launching.

One question though; is the ramp absolutely necessary for planes like the Panther that have a smooth underbelly?

Was thinking that I might be able to just sit it on the grass for the bungee release?

Cheers

Dave
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,511 Posts
Hehe, watch what happens if it pulls a little bit amiss and one wing catches grass......
Ramp = safer.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:36 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Hehe, watch what happens if it pulls a little bit amiss and one wing catches grass......
Ramp = safer.
Ok....I can imagine

I'm just being lazy.

Off to Bunnings I go......

Cheers
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:41 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,646 Posts
Weekend Flying

Had two good flights this weekend. I had my CG at 62mm and was still getting too much ballooning on landing so I moved battery forward about 3/8 inch. It made a noticeable difference on landing and not much difference on takeoff. It flew well in the air and still ballooned if reduced power quickly but if power is removed gradually on landing and you get low on landing to start with, then the effect is much less. I made a perfect landing the FIRST time!

The second time was a great flight but I came down too hard, trying to push the envelope and the nose wheel strut folded in. Now, of course, i got the second flight on video (will post when I get it compiled).

I have the metal mechanical retracts and I will replace with electrics when I get the flight characteristics down pat but for now I am just going to JB Weld the nose wheel from being able to fold again (it will still steer) until I make the electric retract mod.

Great flying plane in the air...getting a bit of twist when I fly a loop and trying to figure out which way that I need to trim the rudder to counter. Right now I'm too preoccupied with landing to worry about too much else.

More later,

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,225 Posts
russ just a thought, the elevator can be very stiff at the hinge line , i had to work mine a lot by over bending . maybe u are getting flex/ twist that would cause roll w/ elevator?

chuck.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
russ just a thought, the elevator can be very stiff at the hinge line , i had to work mine a lot by over bending . maybe u are getting flex/ twist that would cause roll w/ elevator?

chuck.
I'll check it Chuck...thanks. You are right that puppy is STIFF...I worked it too but never really got it where I wanted it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,401 Posts
Can't remember if the elevator has a foam hinge as sent from factory? Been flying mine for two years now with no problems -- its basically become an EDF trainer. Anyway I remember my elevator being stiff so cut it off and re hinged using pinned hinges. The slight dihedral using that wire elevator half connector doesn't help any, could also be causing different throw of each half = roll coupling? Should be able to check that on the bench.
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb