HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:25 AM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
then Joe.. get those retracts that I got..
my rclander retracts came and 1 of the mains seized functioning on the second test cycle
I had those kept in a box a while for some future builds. they are made by the same factory. I got over 60 flights on my panther now and still work great. all the mounting plates of the rclader struts and retracts are a direct fit.
an dthey are 7 dollars
We will see what happens. I have sent my retracts back to ParkRCModels as an RMA, and if that does not produce anything I can work directly with Tim. He has contacted me in a private message about my retracts and seems genuine about helping me out.

I spent $16 and got the Parkzone Habu fixed gear, which are very light and could easily be attached to the Panther with some slight modifications on the plane. That will be another option for me.
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:51 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
well i hate edfs with fixed gear.. But that's just me. Even my first plane ever which was an edf (lx models f-22 v3) had retracts and it was the main reason that i got it.
As i said.. That's just me
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
well i hate edfs with fixed gear.. But that's just me. Even my first plane ever which was an edf (lx models f-22 v3) had retracts and it was the main reason that i got it.
As i said.. That's just me
Understood, but right now I just want to fly my plane more than once when I take it out to the flying field. If fixed gear will give me the reliability I need, then I will go that route. At least the Habu gear is very light and will result in a faster, more responsive plane. I would actually prefer a credit for my buggy electric gear so that I can apply that to getting the 4S EDF instead. If I get a new set of electric gear, then I will install them and hope for the best.
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:35 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
921 Posts
I've been reading through this very long thread but I have a basic question..

Must you swap out the motor/fan unit/and ESC when switching over to 4s?

For something like this HK F9F Panther - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17219

Easiest way to get into a 4s F9F...?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
just swap the edf unit.
Esc and everything are enough. If you are not going with retracts my opinion is to stay on 3s

If you are swaping get the 68mm dps edf unit
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:57 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
We will see what happens. I have sent my retracts back to ParkRCModels as an RMA, and if that does not produce anything I can work directly with Tim. He has contacted me in a private message about my retracts and seems genuine about helping me out.

I spent $16 and got the Parkzone Habu fixed gear, which are very light and could easily be attached to the Panther with some slight modifications on the plane. That will be another option for me.
Tim would work with us as we are the USA Dealer for these products. We talked on the phone with Gamerjoe and are returning the retracts to him. We bench tested them exhaustively and could not reproduce his issues. These got returned to us with badly bent shafts in the trunnions that we are replacing. I would trust these retracts on one of my own, most expensive planes without exception. We never ship anything we would not trust to fly ourselves. We bench test every item of this nature before we ship.
I suspect that the shafts that hold the struts might have inched down, ever so slightly into the back of the unit and caused the units to jam occasionally. The set screws on 2 of the 3 units returned were not fully tightened down in one or both sides of the central pivot posts. That alone could have caused the units to jam, because the posts could slide into the back of the retract unit frame.

Max
Parkflying is online now Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:19 AM
Joined Dec 2008
905 Posts
Quote:
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...6-25CB9E1C292F

here's a buddy code for the rclander e-retract only. they are exactly the same as the rclander ..
even the board and everything..
Look, we get it. Living in czech republic or asia or russia, HK is a good choice because they are so near by for good shipping costs and great pricing. We recommed them to customers from those countries that would benefit by buying from them. For USA customers, there are many USA Dealers for RCLander Products that have competitive pricing with more options AND great customer service. For those looking for a great dealer, we suggest going to the Vendor Forum here at RC Groups to checkout a dealer before buying from them

Max
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Parkflying; Oct 16, 2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:21 AM
Joined Dec 2008
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
I've been reading through this very long thread but I have a basic question..

Must you swap out the motor/fan unit/and ESC when switching over to 4s?

For something like this HK F9F Panther - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17219

Easiest way to get into a 4s F9F...?

Thanks,
-mike-
For hand launch F9 the 3S will give you OK performance. I have several friends that fly the F9 as hand launch or with retracts. IF you want a stellar perfoming jet then go with the 4S 68mm EDF. Many have upgraded to the 72mm 6S for this jet to get top notch performance. Find a USA dealer that can provide you with the custom options you want, rather than getting a setup that you will need or want to upgrade later at more cost and bother.

Max
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
797 Posts
Park Rc Models

I got my first Panther from Max. I probably would not of gone in the direction I did had I not spoken with Max. He explained all my options and what worked better and why. I am very happy with my Panther. I am thinking of adding a 90mm T-33/P-80 early next year and when I do Max will get my business.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
something a bit irrelevant ... Just a bit

I built my cougar kit i got from hobbyking the other day. I also got a new dps 68mm 4s edf unit for it. To my surprise when i came to the point to install the powersystem and test it, the spinner was offcentre and the fan was vibrating too much and also rubbing on the shroud. Very unsual since i owned 3 rclander fan units so far. I contacted hk and printed an rma form but at the same time i let tim wan know about this since it could be a defected batch. Something that i doubted to be honest.

Tim wan answered back in a few hours and told me to send the fan to him to fix it for me. The defected item must have taken some sort of hit or dropped during shipping according to him. Well that was yesterday. Today he contacted me and asked me for my shipping address so that he would ship the new fan to me so i won't have to wait...
That kind of support you can't find Anywhere. One huge thanks to TIM WAN once again. Rclanders support has proven amazing because of the owner of this company.

On the technical side of the cougar.

I installed one of my older 3575kv edf units just to maiden the cougar. Unfortunately the orange 9channel rx with two satelites didnt pass the rangetest. It was the reason that i lost my stinger64 3 months ago.
So im going to wait for a new receiver. These receivers are a hit or miss. The 6 chanel ones with 1 sat port have proveen of a very good quality so far. Nothing wrong with them and i use them a lot. On the reviews of the 9 channel one though there are guys that used them on fpvs at over 1.8km away and guys that lost their planes right infront of their eyes.. Im one of them.

btw i installed e-retracts on the cougar and used a custom pullpull system for steering. The overall flying weight is 1.44kg with a 40c 3000mah turnigy pack. I fly my panther onmy 4000 45c and 4500mah 35c nanotechs but its impossible to balance this plane with those packs.

So i cant wait to fly this planewith an edf unit of 1.4 thrust.

As i mentioned befor the panther flies with a fw of 1.82kg. This one should be fast
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:55 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,572 Posts
I have to agree re Tim Wan,
I had never bought anything from him and I needed a small part for the steering on a retract of his that would fit mine.
I had a reply very quickly and it was sent within 24 hours. From all I have read this is the standard of service 99% of the time .
Brilliant in this day and age.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:20 AM
Don't pimp out Grandma
Minneapolis Minnesnowtah
Joined Nov 2007
781 Posts
Finally got my panther maiden done yesterday and it was a blast to fly even in gusty winds. I have the kit with the cheapy mechanical retracts that worked fine until I noticed when I was packing up the plane that the front gear was loose because the glue holding on the plywood mount had failed, other than that I think this plane is a winner.

I'm using a sickle fan with a 2w-20 and on the maiden I used a Rhino 2350 25c battery and the all up weight was 2lb 10oz's.

RC Landers F9F Panther 70MM EDF Jet Maiden Flight (6 min 49 sec)
MNMadman is offline Find More Posts by MNMadman
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
I have to agree re Tim Wan,
I had never bought anything from him and I needed a small part for the steering on a retract of his that would fit mine.
I had a reply very quickly and it was sent within 24 hours. From all I have read this is the standard of service 99% of the time .
Brilliant in this day and age.
I can confirm that too..
If every hobby shop and hobby company was like RClander the world would have been a beautiful place to be.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMadman View Post
Finally got my panther maiden done yesterday and it was a blast to fly even in gusty winds. I have the kit with the cheapy mechanical retracts that worked fine until I noticed when I was packing up the plane that the front gear was loose because the glue holding on the plywood mount had failed, other than that I think this plane is a winner.

I'm using a sickle fan with a 2w-20 and on the maiden I used a Rhino 2350 25c battery and the all up weight was 2lb 10oz's.
Very Nice Paul. I'm finishing up one of two that I'm working on. Both of these have the electric retracts and the 4s RC Lander fans. Dunno if the weather will hold for a maiden yet this year but we'll see.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
Very Nice Paul. I'm finishing up one of two that I'm working on. Both of these have the electric retracts and the 4s RC Lander fans. Dunno if the weather will hold for a maiden yet this year but we'll see.

Steve
you will love it.. it's my everyday flyer at my club