HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
5,976 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190617

I built something similar to this. The foam pipe covering didn't work well and I simplified it overall. You'll get the general idea though and can mod it to you needs.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:51 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
269 Posts
Bungee Launcher

trjw - Hi John,

Sent you a PM. Basic details of my launcher:-

20mm plastic conduit top rails are 800mm long. I did intend for 1000mm long, but that was all I had available at the time.

The bungee rubber is 6.000 (20 ft.) long. This stuff is 6mm surgical rubber ex Clarke Rubber here in town. Very expensive but works very well. I see HK have two different weights of bungee rubber advertised at a fraction of what I paid.

The longer of the two cords is just short of 3.000 (10 ft.)

The front end of the rubber is pinned to the ground with a standard metal tent peg as is the back end of the pedal trigger. The launch ramp can be moved forwards and backwards to suit the model on the ramp.

My rule-of-thumb for model setup is to locate the simple launch hook approx 2/3 of the distance back from the nose and the CG.

I tension the rubber to approx five times the weight of the model. Measured the first time with fishing scales and paced out thereafter...

It all works pretty well for me....

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:03 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
remember CG at 62mm from wing mold not 75mm
Thanks, I have the CG perfect and it flies awesome. I just experience what many peopel say happens with this aircraft, which is that it likes to balloon if you fully cut the throttle at slow speeds. I flew it three more times today and learned that it lands perfectly if I just cut the throttle fully while it is about 50 feet in the air and maybe 50 feet away from the runway. It will just glide right in and land with ease on a dead stick. Amazing EDF!
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:37 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
Thanks, I have the CG perfect and it flies awesome. I just experience what many peopel say happens with this aircraft, which is that it likes to balloon if you fully cut the throttle at slow speeds. I flew it three more times today and learned that it lands perfectly if I just cut the throttle fully while it is about 50 feet in the air and maybe 50 feet away from the runway. It will just glide right in and land with ease on a dead stick. Amazing EDF!
this will happen on low wind speeds.. If there is strong headwinf i always come in with 1/4 of throttle or so...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:08 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
After some encouragement from a fellow Panther fanatic/pilot Kevin, I started doing some drawings based on some 3 views I found, combined with a vintage Grumman logo and vintage unit patch for VF-781 "The Pacemakers" I put together a design for a a New "I Fly A Panther" shirt. I found the design works well with several color background. I just printed up 3 shirts for Kevin and they came out great, complete with his name on the sleeve and chest. Let me know what you think.
If you would like me to print you up a couple shoot me a PM.

I have the Cougar in Navy Blue and the Panther in the Gull Gray and Orange/Red stripes - guess I need to do some more color schemes or get another Panther in Blue! Wish HobbyKing would get more in.
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Last edited by topher39; Sep 29, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:13 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
785 Posts
shirts

Nice shirts Topher, you planning on marketing them?
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:21 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
I was just on ParkRC Website looking at perhaps getting myself into yet another Panther. I see they say "Now available in SuperEPO" - I am used to the older Panthers with that very dense foam bead, very rigid foam, not like the EPO of say the Airfield Warbirds. Is this Super EPO really new or just another name for the typical Lander foam. Anybody?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:23 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
jpflyer - I have several other shirt designs all for RC Pilots, thought I would add this into the mix. PM me if your interested in a shirt or two.

Thanks for your feedback JP!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:22 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher39 View Post
After some encouragement from a fellow Panther fanatic/pilot Kevin, I started doing some drawings based on some 3 views I found, combined with a vintage Grumman logo and vintage unit patch for VF-781 "The Pacemakers" I put together a design for a a New "I Fly A Panther" shirt. I found the design works well with several color background. I just printed up 3 shirts for Kevin and they came out great, complete with his name on the sleeve and chest. Let me know what you think.
If you would like me to print you up a couple shoot me a PM.

I have the Cougar in Navy Blue and the Panther in the Gull Gray and Orange/Red stripes - guess I need to do some more color schemes or get another Panther in Blue! Wish HobbyKing would get more in.
I can't wait to get them!
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:47 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,766 Posts
Quote:
I was just on ParkRC Website looking at perhaps getting myself into yet another Panther. I see they say "Now available in SuperEPO" - I am used to the older Panthers with that very dense foam bead, very rigid foam, not like the EPO of say the Airfield Warbirds. Is this Super EPO really new or just another name for the typical Lander foam. Anybody?
dont know if there is a 3rd type of foam but i doubt it . v1 was eps , then came the other more rubbery , heavier epo .

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:57 AM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
Thanks Chuck, I appreciate your feedback. Max from Park RC Models e-mailed me and explained SEPO is the same as Super EPO - Duh! I guess I should have picked up on that one. Same foam.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:23 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
maybe tim wan can clear this epo thing out
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:46 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,766 Posts
your welcome, 39
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:45 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Yep, we don't make this stuff up!
Here is a part of the RCL Price sheet that shows this is how they reference this type of foam
Also here is a link to a post that Tim Explains his choice of foams for his jets: Tim's Explanation of his foam choices

Hope this helps

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:48 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
maybe tim wan can clear this epo thing out