HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
I understand angle of attack issues. But keep in mind this plane has flown fine for two years. Only thing changed is fire. ESC and Motor.....
Keep in mind that I was just posting a possible cause of the problem. I don't go back and research every aircraft history with a issue. Hope you find your issue.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:48 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
Keep in mind that I was just posting a possible cause of the problem. I don't go back and research every aircraft history with a issue. Hope you find your issue.
Mike
Thanks, any other ideas are welcome.
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:54 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,040 Posts
You got me now. Short of the fire deforming the trust line of the fan I'm perplexed.
Mike
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:43 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
You got me now. Short of the fire deforming the trust line of the fan I'm perplexed.
Mike
Well I'll get a couple of pics for you guys to look over. I'll shoot the wings' and the fire damage and post em here.
Last edited by DaveBC; Sep 22, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Mike
Mike, there is fire melted foam all around where the esc is right in front of the fan. And some foam has melted around where the fan mounts leaving gaps between it and the fuselage. I was quite carful when I changed the motor to mount the EDF strait. Would those voids make a difference?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:50 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,941 Posts
u could have a thrust angle issue as the thrust tube area is so short on this airframe. it does not take much of a angle change on the fan install to produce a thrust change when the tube is so short. one way to check this is to hold the plane straight up ( thrust tube vertical ) and have a helper apply throttle untill 1 to 1 thrust is reached, if it pulls to the gear when held lightly, u might try a small foam wedge in the bottom back of the thrust tube. i have fixed edf's that clime or dive on throttle this way. if that does it then u can go back and remount the fan or not!

as far as watts go i believe the man stated 1100 watts! at any rate if power is enough to roll at hi speed it should fly.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:38 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
u could have a thrust angle issue as the thrust tube area is so short on this airframe. it does not take much of a angle change on the fan install to produce a thrust change when the tube is so short. one way to check this is to hold the plane straight up ( thrust tube vertical ) and have a helper apply throttle untill 1 to 1 thrust is reached, if it pulls to the gear when held lightly, u might try a small foam wedge in the bottom back of the thrust tube. i have fixed edf's that clime or dive on throttle this way. if that does it then u can go back and remount the fan or not!

as far as watts go i believe the man stated 1100 watts! at any rate if power is enough to roll at hi speed it should fly.

chuck.
You gave me a good idea. Maybe I should make a little short thrust tube for it. So, its smooth say from 70MM to 55MM like my Mig 15. The panther is much shorter but it may be causing it....
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:59 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,040 Posts
Worth a shot at this point. Have you thought about possibly using some lightweight filler to fill the void were the foam melted? I'm just tossing out ideas at this point.

Mike
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:55 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
found the problem..
it's your pilot.. He's looking the wrong way..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:41 AM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
794 Posts
Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
found the problem..
Maybe he was try to put out the fire back there.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
found the problem..
LOL you are the first one to notice other than my wife !! Congratz!! You win free RC planes for life !!!! (Not)
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
274 Posts
maiden flight ....

Further to my post#4545 above, had two flights with the new Panther today.

I was concerned that it might be savagely underpowered on the stock 3S setup, but all went well.

Launched well off the little bungee and settled into a nice flight after a couple of clicks of left trim and a couple of clicks down as well.

The model tracks nicely, docile and smooth. It doesn`t seem as fast as my Starmax Panther (it is larger so may seem slower), and not as fast as my HK T-45 on 4S. Not a lot of vertical power, but will loop nicely from level and roll rate with full aileron throws was just right.

I was looking for it to balloon on finals but I reduced the power slowly and the model touched down gently after a long flat approach.

It`s a keeper..... Can anyone tell me how the hand-launch Lander Hawker Hunter compares as a flying model. I may need to aquire one of those while I`m waiting for the HK Vampire....
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:39 AM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
Further to my post#4545 above, had two flights with the new Panther today.

I was concerned that it might be savagely underpowered on the stock 3S setup, but all went well.

Launched well off the little bungee and settled into a nice flight after a couple of clicks of left trim and a couple of clicks down as well.

The model tracks nicely, docile and smooth. It doesn`t seem as fast as my Starmax Panther (it is larger so may seem slower), and not as fast as my HK T-45 on 4S. Not a lot of vertical power, but will loop nicely from level and roll rate with full aileron throws was just right.

I was looking for it to balloon on finals but I reduced the power slowly and the model touched down gently after a long flat approach.
Had my maiden on my 3S Panther today as well, except mine has the electric retracts. I was also worried about it being underpowered, but flew wonderfully! After about 50 feet of full throttle, a little bit of elevator, and it lifted smooth as silk. Sure, it's not as fast as the 4S and 6S versions, but my 3S has a very scale appearance as it zips around at about 60-70mph.

I had an issue landing it, because I cut the throttle too fast and it ballooned up and stalled on the landing. Broke the plywood that hold the nose gear, but that is now fixed with some 30 minute epoxy and she will be flying again tomorrow! I just need to land it a little more hot next time, and never just cut the throttle while touching down.
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:44 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
Had my maiden on my 3S Panther today as well, except mine has the electric retracts. I was also worried about it being underpowered, but flew wonderfully! After about 50 feet of full throttle, a little bit of elevator, and it lifted smooth as silk. Sure, it's not as fast as the 4S and 6S versions, but my 3S has a very scale appearance as it zips around at about 60-70mph.

I had an issue landing it, because I cut the throttle too fast and it ballooned up and stalled on the landing. Broke the plywood that hold the nose gear, but that is now fixed with some 30 minute epoxy and she will be flying again tomorrow! I just need to land it a little more hot next time, and never just cut the throttle while touching down.

remember CG at 62mm from wing mold not 75mm
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:05 AM
The Real JW
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2011
60 Posts
Hey Alpha,

Another Panther pilot in Qld here. Any chance you could post (or point to) more details on your launch rail setup? So far I've only flown with someone else to hand launch - would like to be able to fly solo if possible.

I get the idea in the launcher but details about bungee length etc wuold be great.

Thanks,

John
trjw is offline Find More Posts by trjw