SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:22 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2plus10 View Post
Your dots look to be exactly where my CG is. Those round indentations in the foam are where the wing mounting screws are on my version. I have flown it with that CG several times.

How long is your runway?? Be sure that the model sits on the ground with a slight positive angle..this will give the wing a positive angle of attack and the liftoff will be smoother. Use all the available runway and don't pull it off the ground too early. It is a smooth flyer but don't let it get slow.

Randy
Awesome, thanks!

Mine has a little bit more positive angle of attack, and in looking at your nose wheel pics, I think it's because my nose wheel was mounted under the plywood instead of on top of it. I guess you did that to make the nose gear tuck away cleaner?
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
I don't remember why I did it that way...I know there was a lot of fiddling with it before I screwed it in.

Yours looks great. you'll get a kick out of flying it..!

Randy
v2plus10 is offline Find More Posts by v2plus10
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:11 PM
Don't pimp out Grandma
Minneapolis Minnesnowtah
Joined Nov 2007
782 Posts
I bought an RCL Cougar and my girlfriend bought me one of these Panthers (eps glue on wing w/ retracts) so I figured I would use my high power set-up in the Cougar and for this bird I want to use a DF70 sickle fan on a HET 3w because they sound nice. This power system makes about 600 watts on a 4s 3300 so my question for those of you who are flying this plane is if you think that would be adequate power for sport type of flying?

Any feedback you could give is welcomed and appreciated, Paul.
MNMadman is offline Find More Posts by MNMadman
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:33 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
Hi Paul,

Seems to me on our 6S setups with the RClander 70mm fan we were getting something in the high 800's to 900 watts.

The info is in the thread somewhere ..I know it's a long one....maybe someone else will throw out some numbers...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2plus10 View Post
Hi Paul,

Seems to me on our 6S setups with the RClander 70mm fan we were getting something in the high 800's to 900 watts.

The info is in the thread somewhere ..I know it's a long one....maybe someone else will throw out some numbers...
I think the 6S stuff was mainly for the much heavier PVC coated Panthers, or for those that just want to get extreme high speed performance.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:17 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
I will agree that the PC coated Panther with a 6S moves pretty fast..! The SEPO Cougar moves along pretty well on 6S also...

more weight, more power, high wing loading = more speed..

Randy
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:11 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMadman View Post
I bought an RCL Cougar and my girlfriend bought me one of these Panthers (eps glue on wing w/ retracts) so I figured I would use my high power set-up in the Cougar and for this bird I want to use a DF70 sickle fan on a HET 3w because they sound nice. This power system makes about 600 watts on a 4s 3300 so my question for those of you who are flying this plane is if you think that would be adequate power for sport type of flying?

Any feedback you could give is welcomed and appreciated, Paul.
u have what i have and fly that i call v1/ el chepo kept light and flown like a jet , mine is great at 600-650 watts on 3000 4's. if it has the same lousy mech retracts as mine dont waste your time. i locked them in the open position and fly it w/ no retract servos, saving weight again. mine is about 42 oz all up with the flaps cut in and operable. at well over 200 watts / pound the performance is sporty, and slows really well for landings.

imo putting 8-16 oz of good retracts in this one at this power level would kill it, your results may vary!!

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:32 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
and just an add to my last post , no lead needed for 65 mm cg.

chuck.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
My Panther is the base model with the 3S 4370kv EDF unit. From everything that I have read throughout these posts and others, it should go around 70-75mph and that will be fine by me. The 4S seems to go around 80-85 and the 6S can reach more than 100mph with the right setup.

My guess is that the 3S configuration will be a fairly scale-looking performance, and later on if the need for speed creeps in, I will probably get the 6S EDF and just hook up my 3S batteries together.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:54 AM
Don't pimp out Grandma
Minneapolis Minnesnowtah
Joined Nov 2007
782 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm excited to get this bird in the air and haven't flown an EDF in a while so it should be fun. Bench tests of the gear seam to work fine but I'm guessing based on Chas650r's comments that people have had problems with them? I have a set of change sun electrics but I am trying to keep this bird light for now... I have a reputation for swapping out power systems on a regular basis but like I said earlier I really like the sound of the DF70 but since it's rotor is an 8 blade made of only plastic pushing the watts beyond 800 is risky and many have had these fans fail on them when coupled with higher kv motors.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:00 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
just so we are clear, the retracts i was bagging on are the base model plastic units that have come with all my eps /glue wing versions. when these were first produced e-tracts did not exist for the masses. it is easy to see why they are needed!!

chuck.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:16 PM
Don't pimp out Grandma
Minneapolis Minnesnowtah
Joined Nov 2007
782 Posts
Mine came with mechanical retracts with a metal casing/frame and a hard plastic trunion/guts.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
those sound like the failure specials!!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:10 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
this is the first time i weighted my plane.. without battery 1332g :O
and my batteries weight around 485g (4000mah 45c 4s and 4500mah 35c 4s) that's more than 1.8kg of flying weight :/
I'm so happy I got the DPS in that plane.
I ve got the version with the electrical retracts and the flaps. so that might add to it. but that's nowhere near 1.1kg of FW
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:44 AM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
277 Posts
Ready to go ....

Gamerjoe,

My Panther is also the base model with 4370 alloy fan.

It is now ready for its first test-flight, maybe tomorrow. I will use a 3S 4000 35-70C nanotech lipo and had to add minor nose weight in the nose cone to arrive at CG 64mm from the Intake/LE. The model is setup as a belly-lander with a bungee launch hook.

AUW is 1.31kg which includes lipo weight 342gms.

Not sure what to expect - wish me luck....

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky