HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:05 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
I eventually got that cockpit hatch off - had to push like crazy from the underside. I can`t see how I will ever get it to release once the bottom forward fuselage is glued on.

Will definitely change the catch detail - will look at shifting the plastic two-pin thingy forward from the aft end and maybe putting a magnet back there ...

Another minor mod I will do as learned from my recent HK F-18. I have made up a plug from scrap foam to fit inside the flimsy nose cone. This time I will glue the nose cone in place last in case I might need to add some nose weightand in there will be the ideal location .....

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:23 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
I eventually got that cockpit hatch off - had to push like crazy from the underside. I can`t see how I will ever get it to release once the bottom forward fuselage is glued on.

Will definitely change the catch detail - will look at shifting the plastic two-pin thingy forward from the aft end and maybe putting a magnet back there ...

Another minor mod I will do as learned from my recent HK F-18. I have made up a plug from scrap foam to fit inside the flimsy nose cone. This time I will glue the nose cone in place last in case I might need to add some nose weightand in there will be the ideal location .....

Alan W
did the same thing on the nose cone with my F-22. It's a good place to hide the leads
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:05 AM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post

Alan W
Wow, I am having the same issue with my canopy! I am pressing pretty hard from underneath and I do not see this thing coming off without breaking it.

If I ever manage to get the canopy off, will I need to trim foam to make it fit better for battery changes?
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:23 AM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
Wow, I am having the same issue with my canopy! I am pressing pretty hard from underneath and I do not see this thing coming off without breaking it.

If I ever manage to get the canopy off, will I need to trim foam to make it fit better for battery changes?
Sure, it`s a neat fit but I don`t see it as an issue for trimming any foam. Seems to me that the plastic catch is just too tight and there is no handle or lever there to help release it. I`ll still intend to go the magnetic catch way.

I`m currently held up awaiting delivery of extension leads so I can glue the tail in place. While waiting I took out that nasty little snowman pilot and replaced him with a more acceptable HK guy ....

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Sep 02, 2011, 03:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
yeap.. The problem is the plastic catch...
Havent done any mods yet to add magnets but i should to be honest

And then there is the pilot i also replaced it with an rclander pilot
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:23 AM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
590 Posts
(shifting the plastic two-pin thingy forward from the aft end and maybe putting a magnet back there ...)

That is exactly what I did with my hatch, swapped the plastic 2 pit to the front and 2 rare earth magnets to the back, used two flat head counter sunk wood screws into the foam for the magnets to cling to. I did shave some foam off the rear of the hatch because on mine the tight fit lengthwise was making the hatch bow just a bit in the center.
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:28 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,177 Posts
maiden

I maiden the panther today, i like this one better than my cougar, but it was hard to see, the grey and blue drowned out in the sky. but flew nice with the sapac mb1, with a 5s 3000 pack.
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:02 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyman535 View Post
I maiden the panther today, i like this one better than my cougar, but it was hard to see, the grey and blue drowned out in the sky. but flew nice with the sapac mb1, with a 5s 3000 pack.
Sapac MB-1 Black Tornado on 5S will melt its motor mounts if its not mounted on an alloy EDF. (ask me how I know)
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:39 AM
edf flyer
Joined Feb 2009
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
Sapac MB-1 Black Tornado on 5S will melt its motor mounts if its not mounted on an alloy EDF. (ask me how I know)
I have never had a problem. It pulls just over 1000 watts
@ 70-80 amps. I had it in my sapac l-39 composite
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:58 AM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyman535 View Post
I have never had a problem. It pulls just over 1000 watts
@ 70-80 amps. I had it in my sapac l-39 composite
Hmmm that's seems pretty low.. you should be getting more like 1600 - 1750 watts with that on 5S. Are you useing a good 40C or better pak? Is your ESC timing set to Hi (15 to 22 degrees)?
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I wonder why ppl still go with the sapac which is an amp hog and can destroy batteries when they can have something much more powerfull on that amp draw.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:25 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,253 Posts
Because its an inexpensive way to get that power.
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:56 AM
edf flyer
Joined Feb 2009
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
Hmmm that's seems pretty low.. you should be getting more like 1600 - 1750 watts with that on 5S. Are you useing a good 40C or better pak? Is your ESC timing set to Hi (15 to 22 degrees)?
My packs are 20c. And the motor is only rated for 1000w max
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:57 AM
edf flyer
Joined Feb 2009
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I wonder why ppl still go with the sapac which is an amp hog and can destroy batteries when they can have something much more powerfull on that amp draw.
What motor would u recommend
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
Because its an inexpensive way to get that power.
well I get 1000watts + on 4s with 65amp draw with my rclander EDF unit. Runs cool and smooth.
some have tried it on 5S with success.

oh and forgot to mention thatit's only 65usd from HK
Last edited by pavcon; Sep 03, 2011 at 08:19 AM.