HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:20 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I put the second flight on the Panther today.
I was hesitating since it was cross wind again and gusty.. and on top of that I moved the Life battery of the receiver forward.
I haven't measured the CG I just moved it forward.
A Friend tried to film it but he only took a part of the takeoff and then lost me

anw.
well I got the plane up.. take off was smooth.. just love it.. looks so scale. I climbed up and I realised that it got a tad noseheavy. 3 clicks of up elevator and she was going level at 3/4 throttle. actually when I maidened the Panther and she was tailheavy Ive given 3 clicks down elevator and now I returned to 0 trim

I accelerated to full throttle and then to dead stick.. guess what.. NO BALLOONING AT ALL
both down and headwind. That boosted my confidence. Unlike my maiden the plane was coming a bit hotter for landing when I made my first pass.. then I geared down.. (at least I thought I did) but the last moment I realised that my nosewheel didn't retract. I cycled the Landing gear and all three retracted.
I decided to use flaps (it's my first plane that actually has flaps) so I used my full flap setting .. with about 1/4 throttle she slowed down to a crawl and landed nicely.

I now need a non so windy day to learn the plane well. lately it's uber windy down here

Well I decided not to fly her again since I' still don't have the hang of it. I think it's just confidence though

Later I also checked the retracts. the only way that it won' tretract is when I"m using rudder while hitting the retract button.. maybe that's why when I was coming for landing it didn't retract. at least I hope.

conclusion of the day: The ballooning is GONE forever.. maybe the elevator glueing did the trick when I was building her. Flaps are actually working.

and hint hint.. don't try to roll while on minimum movement setting.. I forgot and almost nosed her :P
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:25 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
590 Posts
Excellent - so, what is your final CG exactly?
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
lol.. haven't measured yet.. I just moved the battery..
Trial and error method.. Luckily there was no error
I will measure exactly when I borrow the CG machine from a friend..
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
590 Posts
after your first flight, I went out yesterday and flew mine, tried it a little more nose heavy and I liked it - looking forward to your "perfect number"

Again, so glad your Panther is a winner this time! Great Job!!
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Thanks man.
lesson learned.. you need to be a bit patient and perfectionist with this build.. and man you are certainly rewarded later on
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:40 AM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Awsome Pav !!! Finally the saga comes to a happy ending. Congrats.
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Thanks Dave.. I'm Charging to go to the field again..
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:33 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,081 Posts
Pav:
May have missed, but what was the solution to the "ballooning", I might want to try it on my Cougar?
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brati4 View Post
Pav:
May have missed, but what was the solution to the "ballooning", I might want to try it on my Cougar?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4135
+ I put the cover and the CG is around 60mm with no nosing tendencies.

Today I put another 3 flights on my Panther. What an easy plane to land and fly... . just Amazing. I think I got the hang of it and I canfly it all day long (knock on wood)

after 4:30 minutes flight I put 1471mah back in my 4000mah 45-90c 4s nanotech pack.
Ofcourse I was a bit easy on the throttle.. it can cruise around at 1/4 throttle and some wide turns.

I just love the takeoffs and landings. one of the best parts of the flight..

now I'm going on a mini 3 day holiday.. I will check if I can find internet connection there. Until then i wish you happy flights..
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
LOL does 62mm sound familiar?? I tried to share that with you 6 months ago. hehe
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
okokok.. You were right... I also sent an email to tim wan for this. there is no way it will be flyable at 75mm. You are heading straight for disaster. even at 70mm where i first flew it it was very hard to land. I was lucky to land her nicely..

Anw .. Im very impressed by the flying characteristics. Very stable, for sure not a speed deamon, easy to land especially with the flaps, scale takeoffs. And the sound is there. Of course you cant avoid the high pitach motor sound but the whoooosh is there. Oh and also the struts are working great. No hard landings so far but its like they are magnets and suck the plane down. No bouncing tendencies.

I cant wait for my next flying day. Most prolly saturday all day long
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:11 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
838 Posts
mmmmm, I fly at 72mm- I can see me having to experiment at 62.....
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
i can see you too
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,081 Posts
Pav:
Sorry maybe I missed it, but what cover are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4135
+ I put the cover and the CG is around 60mm with no nosing tendencies.

Today I put another 3 flights on my Panther. What an easy plane to land and fly... . just Amazing. I think I got the hang of it and I canfly it all day long (knock on wood)

after 4:30 minutes flight I put 1471mah back in my 4000mah 45-90c 4s nanotech pack.
Ofcourse I was a bit easy on the throttle.. it can cruise around at 1/4 throttle and some wide turns.

I just love the takeoffs and landings. one of the best parts of the flight..

now I'm going on a mini 3 day holiday.. I will check if I can find internet connection there. Until then i wish you happy flights..
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
the cheater hole cover