HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:43 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmlm View Post
Just purchased an empty airframe...I've got a PC version but I really want to experience a light weight version 4c....loooking forward to no extras and a just straight up airframe...complete with the snowman pilot...ohhh he's gotta go!!!

Regards

Mike
cool, i did the same,40oz auw with flaps and 3000 4's , fun and sporty performer . radar clocked 82 mph flat and level. with an excellent climb rate. eps and stock plastic fan.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:36 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
I'm very disappointed with the PVC version w/76mm fan. I had high hopes. Considering my 3 other RC Lander Jets using 6S on 68MM, they all rip. This PVC jet is a sluggard.. No fun to fly, claws for altitude. Even with new 30C 3S batteries in series. Thinking of selling off the 76MM and installing a 6s 68mm in it..
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Last edited by DaveBC; Jan 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
I'm very disappointed with the PVC version w/76mm fan. I had high hopes. Considering my 3 other RC Lander Jets using 6S on 68MM, they all rip. This PVC jet is a sluggard.. No fun to fly, claws for altitude. Even with new 40C 3S batteries in series. Thinking of selling off the 76MM and installing a 6s 68mm in it..
Dear DaveBC,

Sorry to hear about your PC version Panther event. I think the 76mm edf set is not yet come out the best performance such as the time mode setting issue (recommend in higher setting to gain 2.3kg/60A output thrust power) or ESC with TX calibration of throttle range not yet correct...etc. Kindly re-check it first and make an on ground test to find the performance result is same as my mentioned or not. If every setting is correct that should be same as my following video performance.

RCLander F9F-2 PC version Panther update video.wmv (3 min 25 sec)

If you have any question or further assistance, please feel free to contact me again.

BRs,
Tim
Tim Wan is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wan
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:54 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wan View Post
Dear DaveBC,

Sorry to hear about your PC version Panther event. I think the 76mm edf set is not yet come out the best performance such as the time mode setting issue (recommend in higher setting to gain 2.3kg/60A output thrust power) or ESC with TX calibration of throttle range not yet correct...etc. Kindly re-check it first and make an on ground test to find the performance result is same as my mentioned or not. If every setting is correct that should be same as my following video performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HMVjIeABzw

If you have any question or further assistance, please feel free to contact me again.

BRs,
Tim
Thanks for your reply Tim,

RC Lander recomends ESC Timing LOW. But here is a shot of ESC w/HIGH settings, and batteries I'm using with this plane. Best I can get is 1100 watts.
The PVC version is heavier than my EPO Panther by alot. The only other weight I have is RC Lander Electric Retracts w/suspension struts. Of course cheater hole is open. I would be happy with performance like your video. And the rest of my RC Lander jets perform like that. They are Cougar, F-16, Hawker Hunter, and Another Panther. All on 6S except the Panther is a belly lander on 4S. Very Very Happy with their performance.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:25 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I m going to fly my EPO panther on the new DPS 68mm EDF unit
just got one from DonsRc
now.. I'm thinking..
ARE THOSE RCLANDER CLONES???
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15092
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15095
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15094

I'm going to fly on 4s because I got many packs hanging around..
and one more question.. has anyone got a manual how and where to install the lighting System?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:12 AM
Ross on Wye, UK
Joined Jan 2006
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
has anyone got a manual how and where to install the lighting System?
You can download a manual for the lighting from the Lander website, but it's not much more than a wiring diagram.

To install the afterburner ring you need to cut a groove around the inside of the tailpipe just behind the fan shroud. The ring sits in this groove where it is clear of the airflow.
The power for the light comes directly from the main flight battery via a cable that is intended to plug into the battery's balance connector. There are two versions of this cable, one for 3s and one for 4s. I would suggest you cut the plug off and solder to the battery plug on the ESC. Make sure you cut only the plug off and keep the little resistor.
The wiring diagram shows the light control input is fed from the throttle channel via a Y lead. I would not use this lead if you are using the BEC in the ESC. It looks too thin. I suggest you use a spare channel and mix the throttle onto it which also gives better control.
The difference between light always on and always off is only a tiny adjustment of the control pot and it can be a bit fiddly to set up. It's also a bit temperature sensitive so if you set it up in a warm workshop, it might not work at a cold flying field.

It's quite a bit of work to get it all working, but it's a bit of fun, especially on an overcast day, and always gets comments from spectators.
Tean is offline Find More Posts by Tean
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Tim,

RC Lander recomends ESC Timing LOW. But here is a shot of ESC w/HIGH settings, and batteries I'm using with this plane. Best I can get is 1100 watts.
The PVC version is heavier than my EPO Panther by alot. The only other weight I have is RC Lander Electric Retracts w/suspension struts. Of course cheater hole is open. I would be happy with performance like your video. And the rest of my RC Lander jets perform like that. They are Cougar, F-16, Hawker Hunter, and Another Panther. All on 6S except the Panther is a belly lander on 4S. Very Very Happy with their performance.
Dear DaveBC,

Pls set your ESC in higher time mode to test again. i understand our advice for lower timing that is a safety for protection of motor. If the edf is able gotten enough timing for cooling between each flight. You can put it into higher time mode. In this connection, you can fully enjoy our PC version Panther flying performance same as our other jets you have.

BRs,
Tim
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tean View Post
You can download a manual for the lighting from the Lander website, but it's not much more than a wiring diagram.

To install the afterburner ring you need to cut a groove around the inside of the tailpipe just behind the fan shroud. The ring sits in this groove where it is clear of the airflow.
The power for the light comes directly from the main flight battery via a cable that is intended to plug into the battery's balance connector. There are two versions of this cable, one for 3s and one for 4s. I would suggest you cut the plug off and solder to the battery plug on the ESC. Make sure you cut only the plug off and keep the little resistor.
The wiring diagram shows the light control input is fed from the throttle channel via a Y lead. I would not use this lead if you are using the BEC in the ESC. It looks too thin. I suggest you use a spare channel and mix the throttle onto it which also gives better control.
The difference between light always on and always off is only a tiny adjustment of the control pot and it can be a bit fiddly to set up. It's also a bit temperature sensitive so if you set it up in a warm workshop, it might not work at a cold flying field.

It's quite a bit of work to get it all working, but it's a bit of fun, especially on an overcast day, and always gets comments from spectators.
thanks for the thorough description there TeanMan.. really appreciate the help..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wan View Post
Dear DaveBC,

Pls set your ESC in higher time mode to test again. i understand our advice for lower timing that is a safety for protection of motor. If the edf is able gotten enough timing for cooling between each flight. You can put it into higher time mode. In this connection, you can fully enjoy our PC version Panther flying performance same as our other jets you have.

BRs,
Tim
Thanks for your reply Tim. That bench test was on HIGH timing mode. I hate to gripe. And I surely didn't mean to make RC Lander look bad. You guys are cadillac of RC jets

I must have just gotten a lemon. I hate to sell it if that's the case. Maybe I'll try the new generation 76mm in the PVC jet at some point.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:13 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Here are my ESC settings, Tim :
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
one question.. prior building mine..
My wing is not reomvable.. what If I had to replace a servo or something //?? :/
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
820 Posts
DaveBC,

With my PC Panther, it took some dialing in to get it flying properly.
Bench testing with a watt meter and then adjusting the variable
parameters of timing and battery packs (as suggested by Tim Wan)
was the key to the soultion. My Lander EDF was one of the earlier
70mm versions with a Kv of 2399. With a high timing mode on the
Castle Phoenix 60A ESC, Castle BEC (10A) and a 6S (40C) 4550mAh
Enerland pack, I got a reading of about 1100watts at 42A. With a
flying weight of 4.135 pounds, my system produced about 265W per Lb.
and it was a pleasure to fly! If you can get your power system to
produce from 225-250 watts per pound....you should be OK.

Last of all, your intake duct should be as "CLEAN" as possible to
avoid any obstructions that could disrupt the air flow. In addition,
the exhaust duct should be relatively "CLEAN" and should gradually
reduce in diameter from 70mm at the fan to about 85% of the FSA
which should be around 58mm. I hope that this helps and please
let us know what your watts per pound comes out to be.
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Last edited by Papajeff; Jan 11, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:02 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,195 Posts
Papajeff,
How did you achieve the exhaust diameter of 58mm on your bird? Did you use a thrust tube or was it built with that diameter?

RJ
rowdyjoe is online now Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Quote:
Here are my ESC settings, Tim :
Dear DaveBC,

Since your setting is already in higher time mode. I would like to have your assistance to take another brand name batteries to test again. It is because your output current is still so lower in higher time mode. (it should be around 60A). I want to make sure our EDF set performance / quality. If the result is same, I would arrange to replace the new one for you and don't want to let you lose the confidence of our products.

Waiting for your reply.

BRs,
Tim
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:26 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
Papajeff,
How did you achieve the exhaust diameter of 58mm on your bird? Did you use a thrust tube or was it built with that diameter?

RJ
RJ,

The Panther was designed inorder to have the exhaust duct as an actual part of the rear
section of the fuselage. The proper exit diameter of about 58mm was, in fact, built in to
the design. Once the Lander EDF unit was installed, before I attached the lower section,
I painted a thin coat of 20 minute finishing epoxy with a sponge brush, on both the upper
and lower interior sections of the rear fuselage. Once it cured properly, it created a very
smooth and hard finish as if I had used a Millar duct. Then I used a red enamel on the last
few inches of the exhaust interior in an attempt to simulate an afterburner. That's just a
case of good old Grandpa having a little fun.
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Last edited by Papajeff; Aug 06, 2013 at 09:41 AM.