HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2008
288 Posts
AMK is right, mine is ballanced at 65 and I still need some down trim, better nose heavy than tail, fly it like it is now nose heavy, roll it inverted and see how much down stick you need to keep her level inverted... re the duel rates, ATV is like 130% + 100 is like min elevator movement...

where you been hiding AMK?
dustdeb is offline Find More Posts by dustdeb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:52 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdeb
where you been hiding AMK?
Dude, between full-scale flying, school, and work... it's tough.

But if you must know... I've been hiding in my hobby room upgrading my Panther w/ Suspension gear and a JS1400 in a Minifan Pro...
AND she'll be running a new Hyperion G3 4s 4200 35C pack

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:56 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
OK it seems that I am being misunderstood so let me try to explain it differently.

Back on post 2997 it was recommended by by schoonerj that my CG be between 70 and 65 mm from the leading edge. So if this is the case, should my Panther balance anywhere with in this range I should be OK on flight, give or take a little on flight preference.

The following text by Vic,

Quote:
65mm sounds pretty nose heavy to me. I've been flying mine at 75mm, but that's about as far back as I would go; any further back and you start seeing those nasty tail heavy characteristics.
makes sense but the problem I have is my Panther balances at 40mm from the leading edge. I would like to make it to 70 or 75 mm in CG but it just isn't happening. I know guys on here are flying with the Zippy 4S 4000 mAh battery and the Rhino (Heavier) equivelent because I bought my battery based on the results here. The problem is I can't get the plane to balance with the battery in the stock location. I was wondering what others have done to get their Panther to balance using what I am using. Also what is the AUW most have?

Thanks again for all the help,
Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,975 Posts
I have been flying mine with gear up as the field I was at was to rough so have been hand launching it. I went to a new field yesterday and on the first landing the nose gear/battery tray popped right off, so out the retracts came! I am staying with belly on mine.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:17 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2008
288 Posts
handlaunch

hand launch is the way forward, you will never look back, take the gear out and its lighter,faster and GREAT, what a doddle to self launch...

AMK I hear you on those packs, 5s in series on this guy
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:27 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
The problem is I can't get the plane to balance with the battery in the stock location. I was wondering what others have done to get their Panther to balance using what I am using. Also what is the AUW most have?

Thanks again for all the help,
Orion
So you're saying you're too nose heavy??
I originally flew the Panther on a 3s Rhino 3700 and I needed some nose weight (the 4s setup didn't need it from what I saw/heard).

Odd... I would just start shuffling equipment as aft as possible. Last thing I would do is add weight to the tail. I'm not doubting your situation, it's just kind of an oddball, or maybe I'm not understanding correctly again...
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:36 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller
So you're saying you're too nose heavy??
I originally flew the Panther on a 3s Rhino 3700 and I needed some nose weight (the 4s setup didn't need it from what I saw/heard).

Odd... I would just start shuffling equipment as aft as possible. Last thing I would do is add weight to the tail. I'm not doubting your situation, it's just kind of an oddball, or maybe I'm not understanding correctly again...
Nope, You understand now. I have everything crammed to the back short of going into the fan unit. I may just add a secondary battery tray over the carbon spare area. Its going to make servicing the electronics a pain but it needs to balance. Balancing upside down at 40mm is not gonna fly and it seems the carbon rod is the general CG point.

Also my AUW is 1658 g.
Last edited by Orion Pax; Sep 12, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:48 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2008
288 Posts
Guys are freaking out, the panther is forgiving, how nose heavy are you, is it really bad nose heavy at 65mm? I dont think it is, i ballanced mine a minute ago at 65mm and the nose droops, as for when its flying it needs down trim, yes ballance it upsidedown!!

It wont bite you if its nose heavy for the first flight to see what "its really doing", if when you fly it like it is now and it is a tad nose heavy it the air, come the landing approach you just need to bleed off the speed as she floats like a leaf on water!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:49 PM
La Porte, Texas
Joined Sep 2004
48 Posts
Panther CG

Here's a shot of my install with a Zippy 4900 pack. At this location it balances at 75mm.

Don't stress too much over being nose heavy, it still flies good nose heavy
grbaker is offline Find More Posts by grbaker
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:53 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdeb
Guys are freaking out, the panther is forgiving, how nose heavy are you, is it really bad nose heavy at 65mm? I dont think it is, i ballanced mine a minute ago at 65mm and the nose droops, as for when its flying it needs down trim, yes ballance it upsidedown!!

It wont bite you if its nose heavy for the first flight to see what "its really doing", if when you fly it like it is now and it is a tad nose heavy it the air, come the landing approach you just need to bleed off the speed as she floats like a leaf on water!
Yeah its bad. It falls off my fingers if I put them at 65 mm. I am also balancing at the seam where the wing separates from the fuselage when you remove the wing. Trust me, I am not freaking out, I just have spent the past 9 months building it trying to get it just right and before I paint it I want to make sure it flies. Don't want to loose this sweet heart because it was a gift from a good friend.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:53 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grbaker
Here's a shot of my install with a Zippy 4900 pack. At this location it balances at 75mm.

Don't stress too much over being nose heavy, it still flies good nose heavy
Hey what's that black, wire-type, thingy sticking out your rx???

Orion,
It should still fly really well with CG forward at 65mm.
Really hope you get your CG issue sorted out, the Panther is awesome, just a pleasure to fly everytime!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:18 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,975 Posts
Does anybody know what is a good color match for the blue as I need to touch up the belly a little? I figure there must be a Model Master color that is a good match?

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:24 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,222 Posts
Don,
I've looked for a match for almost every color...
You can get really really close, but I usually end up having to lighten or darken it up a shape. Actually, to match my F-16's light gray I had to add some light blue!!!
It is possible to mix up a matching set of paint using Model Masters, but the stock touch-up paints are your best bet.

Vic
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:29 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Hey what's that black, wire-type, thingy sticking out your rx???

Orion,
It should still fly really well with CG forward at 65mm.
Really hope you get your CG issue sorted out, the Panther is awesome, just a pleasure to fly everytime!
Be it 65 or 75 it should fly great. Just gotta get it there.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:04 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Dude, between full-scale flying, school, and work... it's tough.

But if you must know... I've been hiding in my hobby room upgrading my Panther w/ Suspension gear and a JS1400 in a Minifan Pro...
AND she'll be running a new Hyperion G3 4s 4200 35C pack

Vic

SOOOOOOO when you gonna fly it ACE???????

Maidened the Lancair. I think she is pretty darn fast.

James
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75