HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:10 PM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
991 Posts
Refer to discussion #2981; The supplier told me that the burnt motor (4s) was out of warranty, but offered a good price with free shipping for a new motor. I remembered that a note with the EDF said not to take it apart because of special balancing, so I asked for a price for the whole 4s fan and motor. It was a good price and I accepted it. He did say that do NOT set the ESC to high timing. I have a Turnigy ESC programer and a Turnigy 80A ESC and will check to see that the timing is at 'normal'. The Panther is too good to not fly again.
Of course, the warning to not disassemble the old unit MUST refer to someone else...not me! As long as it's dead, I can't make it worse. Will report on what happens when you go inside a 4s motor and try to fix it.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,698 Posts
Tim/anyone,

I crashed by panther. Not sure it's repairable. Does anyone know if the hand launch version is landing gear ready? By that I mean are all the cutouts there? Can I just drop in a set of retracts? If so I might just strip the gear out of my crash and get a new airframe.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2008
288 Posts
Yes they are!
dustdeb is offline Find More Posts by dustdeb
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
Here's a video of a flight of one I took this week end. Hand launch ,no wheels, powered with a HET Typhoon 2w 20 in a 70 mm fan on 4 cells I think.
RC Lander Panther (4 min 40 sec)
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:27 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
Another Panther

My Lander Panther arrived today. I special ordered it with all the whistles and bells. It is the PVC version with flaps, sprung strut retracts, gear doors, and the 6S fan system. I also went with the upgraded servos with carbon gears and bearings. When I decided I wanted one of these, I read this entire thread from beginning to end. I visited the different websites and compared options and prices. I was bewildered on how to go. Luckily (for me) I made contact with Max at Parkrcmodels. He took the time to explain all the options, costs, performance differences, etc. He listened to what I thought I was looking for and made recommendations. I think he went well beyond the service offered by most vendors. (I don't work for him, I have never personally met him, and he is 2,000 miles away). I can't wait to get this one in the air, then maybe the Cougar?
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:48 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,156 Posts
Jp: Did that come with nearly everything all assembled??
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:54 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
wysiwyg

The pics show how it comes out the box. All the servos installed. The retracts and doors rigged up and pushrods attached. The fan was installed along with the esc and ubec. Glue up the big pieces, install your receiver, charge your batteries, program the radio, and go fly. I'm thinking this one will be ready next weekend. Woohooo.

ps. The wing is removable, too.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:03 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,364 Posts
jpflyer,

Doublecheck all the hinges for the control surfaces. In order to get the horizontal stab on, you have to remove the rudder.

Just check and make surre all hinges are glued.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:08 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
Hinges

Yep, I wondered at first why the rudder hinges weren't glued in. Duh, then I figured it out. I gave the others a pull and deflect test and they seem okay, but thanks for the heads up.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:39 PM
Joined Apr 2008
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
Tim/anyone,

I crashed by panther. Not sure it's repairable. Does anyone know if the hand launch version is landing gear ready? By that I mean are all the cutouts there? Can I just drop in a set of retracts? If so I might just strip the gear out of my crash and get a new airframe.

Glen
Dear Glen,

Sorry to hear of your panther issue. As per your request, you can order a HL version airframe and put back your original retract. It is ok. Please contact your near dealer for related arrangement.

Hope you enjoy her performance again in the near future.

Best regards,
Tim
Tim Wan is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wan
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:45 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
991 Posts
Refer to previous post #3001; Removed the 4s fan/motor unit and started to disassemble it to see what went bad in the motor. Marked parts for re-assemble order and positions. Everything seems close tolerance fits and lok-tite secured screws. The spinner was easy to remove as was the rear motor housing. The purple heat sink paste gets on everything. It is now cleaned off and new paste will be used.
I loosened the prop nut up to flush with the end of the shaft and tapped on it to get the prop off without damaging the shaft threads. No luck. In fact, the soft threads are damaged; the motor shaft moves back and forth; the prop is still stuck fast. All this while holding it gentle in my hands... Am making wood supports to hold the prop from the rear as I tap some more.
Glad I didn't just buy the replacement motor.
The adventure continues........
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:46 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
OK guys, I need your help. I am trying to get the CG at 65 mm. I have the 70mm aluminum motor and fan unit and I am using the zippy 4S 4000 mah battery. I have retracts and doors but no flaps. I need to know if I have to balance this upside down and if anyone else has had problems with this being nose heavy with this battery in the stock location (in the nose). If you have had these problems, how did you resolve it?
Thanks,
Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2008
288 Posts
Should be ok there, flying will give you a feel of where you need to put the lipo, my 3700 4s pack is as far forward as i can get it and still need to trim down!
dustdeb is offline Find More Posts by dustdeb
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:03 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well the problem is it is really nose heavy at 65 mm from the leading edge. I can move my cg point forward about 3/8" - 1/2" and it will balance out. I just don't think it is suppose to be this nose heavy.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:18 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,295 Posts
Orion,
It seems that CG has become kind of a 'personal preference' on this one...
65mm sounds pretty nose heavy to me. I've been flying mine at 75mm, but that's about as far back as I would go; any further back and you start seeing those nasty tail heavy characteristics.

Although I've never flown mine that far forward, I say start with 65mm. You can always work your way back if you want, just make sure you've got plenty of elevator authority! Setting up some dual rates might not be a bad idea either.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller