Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:40 PM
Toronto Pearson, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
Discussion
6 servo wing sailplane, flaps, spoiler, and aileron

I hope this question is in the right location. I thought the sailplane guys will have the possible answer since they must have come up against this.It is really a question about programing the 2.4 Ghz JR 9303 as to whether it is possible to have both flap and spoiler deployment at the same time for landing ,utilizing the throttle stick only,
Any help or instructions appreciated
Thanks
black alder is offline Find More Posts by black alder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:28 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,656 Posts
Sure is, I use it. A buddy that knows the radio well set me up, works like a champ.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:34 PM
Toronto Pearson, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
Hi S2000,
Do you think you could convince him to let me know how he set it up, it would be appreciated rather than pulling out my hair for hours on end.
Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:47 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,836 Posts
Ditto for me. That's exactly what I would like to do. Please post the mixes/settings on each screen so we can copy it.

I don't know what black alder is looking for, but I'd like the 3 TE surfaces to be able to do the following:

1) all move together as ailerons
2) all move together as camber
3) outer 2 to work as ailerons while #2 is in place
4) one switch works both the retract and the release
5) inner 2 work as flaps with spoilers going up after 1/2 flap down travel
6) I'll think of more and put them in here.
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:54 PM
Slope addict User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
447 Posts
Guys'

I've exactly done that with with 9303 I just need to go trought the screen and give you the infos ( except for the retract/release but this could be done with a mix or a y calbe)

Is there a way to "download" the programation on a computer so I can print them out ?

I have a "old" 72mhz 9303

tiju
tiju000 is offline Find More Posts by tiju000
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:02 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,836 Posts
I think you can send us your data safe file with that program on it and then we can upload the file to our data safe and then onto the radio. If not, we would need screen-by-screen discription of the different menu pages.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
Toronto Pearson, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have a data safe unit.
I was wondering if attachments can be put on this site and you had a digital camera you could take photos of each screen required. Could you also give the hook up to the receiver, i.e. which servo goes to each location on the receiver.
The programming should be the same on the "old " 9303 as on the "new" 2.4GHz radio
Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:37 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,836 Posts
I strongly recommend you get a Data Safe. I went to a contest 2 years ago and my radio when nuts. I had to send it back to JR for 'reinitialization'. When I got it back, the radio was empty! Now I keep my contest planes on an extra 9303 and keep all the planes for both radios on the Data Safe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:22 PM
Slope addict User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
447 Posts
ok I'll make some pics and send them
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:30 AM
Zürich
Joined Feb 2003
166 Posts
Black Adder

slightly off topic, but I would be careful with the combination of flap and spoiler, depending on what you are flying the two together can cause problems when on approach. Slowing down works well, but should you need to retract them again because you are coming down short, the lack of speed and lift might make you sweat a little if not ruin your day comletely. If at all then stagger the functions and possibly slow the servos down when retracting the flaps, giving the model a chance to pick up some air speed. On my Nimbus the flaps for landing (approx. 35°) retract over 2 seconds.

Regards

Daniel
Daniel Gut is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Gut
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:44 AM
Slope addict User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
447 Posts
ok here are the pics.

The particularity is that this program is for a electric sailplane with 6 servos in the wings

2 ailerons
2 flaps
2 Spoilers plugged trough an inversed Y cable in the AUX2 channel

I used an y cable because I have a 9 + 1 receiver ( the +1 is for power) and I wanted to connect 2 batteries in different channel and I didn't want to use the y cable to mix the battery with one used channel.

LAI
RAI
ELE
RUD
RFL
LFL
SPO ( with inversed Y cable)
AUX3 BATTERY
AUX4 MOTOR
BATTERY

I'm not sure if the motor is programmed with the pics, I have to test it again.

If you own a pure glider you can plug a spoiler in individual channel and repeat the program on the 9th image on another programs.

The mix flap-elevator is not done but you can use the program 1 for that.

So if you got any qyestions I'll be more than happy to help.

Thierry
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:50 AM
Slope addict User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
447 Posts
as Daniel said it could be a good idea to bring some delays with the flaps and spoilers, I'll investigate how to do that with mix programs.

Thierry
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:07 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavoss
4) one switch works both the retract and the release
When installing the retract and the release on the same switch, it is a good idea to have a separate battery for the retract and release servo, since you will not be retracting the wheel until you've reached full tow height.

I always retract the wheel right after take-off, so I can visually verify that the wheel retracted and the doors closed up without any problems. A jammed wheel can draw down a battery faster than you can spit, and you don't want to experience this at high altitudes where you can't see the problem... particularly if the receiver shares the same battery.

The best arrangement is a dedicated switch for the release servo, but where this is not possible, the release servo can be y-jacked to the spoilers, which are not subject to jamming during cycling like a retract wheel is. (You may have the most reliable retract mechanism in the world, but sometimes you can grab a little grass on take-off without even knowing it, and a jam-up is the result). I use a y-jack between the spoiler servos and the release servo on my 10-servo ASG29, and it works well. Just remember to close up the spoilers after cutting loose (!!).
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Built Stinson 105
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:34 PM
Toronto Pearson, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
Thanks Tiju,

The photos show exactly what you have set up.
Will give it a try

Thanks again
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:02 AM
Toronto Pearson, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
Thierry,
Thanks for the info and all the trouble of posting the photos of the setup
Works like a charm, now have flaps and spoilers on the one stick
Will put in flap delay as advised
Regards, Jim