SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Discussion
Last Night my Stupidity Cost Me BIG

where do i start??

I feel i have to document my stupidity and my losses from last night outings!

Bad luck comes in 3's and now i see why!

It all started last evening i just contacted FPV-UK about his stock levels for his FPV system

Then i quickly grabbed my kit for a quick fly before dusk set in

Out on location i quickly set up my fresh easystar loaded my main lipo for the motor and added a second lipo as dead weight to test my C G.

Trimmed, all control's fine no problem, opened her up fully and gave her a nudge forward

She tracked true and had a nice clime out, went to give her some left rudder to bring her round......nothing, nothing at all

my eyes looked at my TX all lights on no problem, looked at the easy star still climbing out, looked back down at my TX

......in my hurry i never even bothered to put the TX Ariel in

You know you get that split second where your confused/panicked/miffed/upset/angry period that feels it lasts a lift time? That was then!

where was my TX ariel? i remembered in that split second id left it at home!

oh keep reading it gets MUCH better

my body took over, my legs were running and fast as i could TX as high in the sky as i could get it...

Smack bang crash crunch OUCH
i was too busy looking at the easy to see that i had run full smacko into a solid 4ft solid gate post somehow managed to front flip over it and land in a total mess on the floor!!

Now that i was dazed and confused i lost sight of the easy she was gone gone gone! forever

Picked myself up looked for the TX found it a some 10 meters away and it was smashed up, bits of plastic around the battery was bent and broken my hands were scrached and bleeding my nose was busted open my jeans ripped and dirty and i stood dazed confused and sad

Why did the speed controller not shut off?
Why did the easy fly perfectly for the first time?
why did i not check the ariel was in?
why did i have to smash my self up??

..please tell my why?

Costs / Damages

First aid kit - Esso garage ride home 9.99
Easy star with all its bits 250 ish
Second lipo 34
Futaba FF6 145
Tx battery 25

So now i have no Easy, No TX to fly Anything, battered body and now i will have to start again!

Its taken me 3-4 months of hard work to get where i was last night, i was expecting to come home and order my new FPV advanced kit from FPV-UK and step up in the world of TRUE FPV

Gutted?

Simply Yes

QS
QUIKSILVER is offline Find More Posts by QUIKSILVER
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2008
817 Posts
that completely and utterly sucks
hoysome is offline Find More Posts by hoysome
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Your story is well written; I feel like I was there and saw the whole thing. Hope you get up and flying again real soon.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:20 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,572 Posts
OW, OW and OW! that is a bad day for sure.

maybe the last thing you need to hear right now, but friend, you need to have a preflight check list. and get in the habit of doing a range check.

I am feeling for ya.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:23 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Yea, it almost sounds comical but my ribs today dont find it fun

Im more gutted that i have spent the last 6weeks saving for the FPV flight box and now its another long recovery time!

I dont have another Tx so i could have alot of downtime coming up, i have also got holiday booked next week that i was going to take advantage of too!

The whole thing sucks

Such is life
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:26 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex
OW, OW and OW! that is a bad day for sure.

maybe the last thing you need to hear right now, but friend, you need to have a preflight check list. and get in the habit of doing a range check.

I am feeling for ya.
Once If and when i get back up and running i will learn from this dont you worry!

I have no idea where the easy went to go looking and the state i was in i really wasent in the mood!
Being 25 and keeping fit i felt like i ran into that post at 100mph

the bruses and cuts will heal, my baby easy star i doubt will not return - plus side it does have my name and address in it
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:27 PM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
I'm sorry QS for your loss, however THANK YOU for the hilarious account of your misadventure.

On a side note (and too late), did you have your receiver configured with fail-safe throttle cutoff?

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:29 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
Well if i can make myself feel any better im hoping you will enjoy my read

No stupidly i never i just swopped it out and put a new one in as my last one was having BEC problems! i just rushed the whole thing and now im paying the price glad i made you chuckle

QS
Last edited by QUIKSILVER; Jul 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: sorry hard to type with plasters on fingers
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:05 PM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Don't despair!

Hi QC-
I had a similar experience 10 years ago, although I didn't get hurt.
I had spent 2 months building my first scratch-built balsa gasser. It was beautiful. I had detracted from conventional thinking and mounted the fuel tank on the CG using a pump for delivery. It was a huge success, and I was still sort of a newby at the time. I was so proud because some of the old-timers at my field liked the fuel system so much that they adapted it to some of their models. It had about 7 flights on it when I stupidly forgot to extend the antenna one day and it flew about a half mile away to it's crash site.
I was so bummed out that I walked away from the hobby for several years.
My advice to you is, DON'T DO WHAT I DID! I should have learned my lesson and gotten "right back up on the horse". Instead I let it get the best of me and missed out on several years of a great hobby.
I'm back in the saddle now, but I never should have left. I felt extremely stupid, but I guess it's part of the learning process.
I feel for you, especially your ribs! Now that you have some FPV gear on the way, put it to good use and build another EZ. You won't regret it!
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:17 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Oh man, I feel your pain, that's Murphy's law in full effect. Good luck with everything!

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:28 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,450 Posts
Sorry dude...

Use checklists...At a minimum, they'll slow you down so you're thinking straight.

Read them or commit them to memory...eitherway, go through them before you go flying...
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:32 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
I'd like to help you out with a cheap radio for the interim, but you live in the UK! (Frequency differences and shipping costs!)

Maybe someone local can help?

Hope you stick around that don't let this get you down.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:35 PM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Nov 2007
291 Posts
I wonder where the EZ gone, can you imagine a guy seeing an EZ gliding into his yard? What was the area where this happened like?
Shift is offline Find More Posts by Shift
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:43 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
thanks for the kind comments and offer for the TX

Im going to use the money i saved for the FPV stuff and get some new stuff

i was thinking a FF7 easy star with basic set up just to get me back up and then i can fly my alula as well

i have been flying since i was 14

was at a club for 2 years and then i went out back

i normaly always do a check i just had too much of a rush and was on a high as i was expecting my new system befor the weekend

i wont give up dont worry

well i had a quick look on google and the wind direction and place i was standing goes over some forest but also alot of open fields mies and miles of it and its almost harvist time so i expect a combine will chew it up

no chance of finding it a few seconds of lost contact can throw you off miles and the wheat fields are all 5-6ft tall now!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:54 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
I'd probably still find a high point, get a pair of binoculars, and survey the area. No man left behind
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45