HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by LKC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 02:03 PM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Discussion
Man of Steel ! superman goes RC

Picked up this Superman on discount at a local store. Got it for $30. Originally it was designed for RC, with differential thrust. Came with a typical toy transmitter and built in 3cell nimh pack. I just couldn't resist to rip him open and convert him to real RC.

Power: home wound CDROM motor with a 4x4 GWS prop
Batteries: 2S-1320 (required for balance unless I change to a lighter motor)
ESC: CC Phoenix 10
Servos: 2x blue arrow 4.3g, Elevon control
Receiver: AR6100e

Superman turned out a little heavier than planned, which could maybe be reduced if I use a different lighter motor, but with the listed components he moves along pretty quickly (faster than a locomotive) and has just over 1:1 vertical (able to leep over tall building in a single bound) Just like the real superman.. I haven't weight him, but I can say he is heavy, but not as heavy as steel (remembr he is the man of steel)

He flew great ! A little instability when rolling over, I think it's due to the curlled up wing tips. When rolling it's slow to go over, but once past horizontal it whips over, maybe due to offset balance. Makes for some wild spins outs (like superman being blasted into space). I added a clear plastic vertical fin, that runs down the back of his cape (not shown in pics)

OK enough catch phrases.. heres the pic:

BTW: I'm not a huge suprman fan, jus a big RC fan who is using Superman as an outlet..

It's about the fun.. right
should I put this in the high performance thread ?

Heres a videoa friend put together for me..
http://www.vimeo.com/1629916

Luke
LKC is offline Find More Posts by LKC
Last edited by LKC; Sep 18, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2008, 06:05 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
Cool! This is the 2nd superman Ive seen now. The other one was powered by a smaller EDF unit and a 3s battery pack. Ive been on the lookout for one, but have yet to come across one at a toy store near me.

Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:21 PM
LKC
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Thanks Don..
Yeah I was pretty happy to find one, they do still have it locally here, but they are listed as $100. I was just lucky to see one that had obviously been opened and returned.. Didn't bother me that someone else had decided they didn't want it..
BTW, they do have them listed here for $60

EDF superman.. that's different.

Luke
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:18 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,898 Posts
Off-the-hook cool. Brilliant idea! Toy R/C products like our Man of Steel here are designed to fly as stable as possible with the cheapest power systems the engineers can dream up. Eflightwiki.com has lots of links to bulletin boards which discuss the conversion of Air Hogs, Estes and such to full-function radio control...and those links get a lot of hits, probably more than any other on the site.

I may need to scan the clearance racks at Wal-Mart more often.

GREAT post.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:38 AM
LKC
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Thanks PMdrive1061..
The RC superman is actually a pretty good platform for transforming.. It has a hollow type wing, and his hollow body is removable. Unfotunately he is held together with 6 tiny screws, and since the battery, connector and electronics are all hidden, I have to remove it all to plug in. I might have to come up with a magnet retaining system or similar, to speed up the process..

I am always looking for different RC projects. I like the ones that make people stop and ask questions.. like my Funjet Vector thrust.. Check it out here, if your interested.

I also picked up an RC surfer dude for $20, but he was a bit of a dud, and I have lost interest in him.. especially since all outside water sources end up being frozen for 7 months of the year..lol
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:24 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville Beach
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
Is the surfer for sale?
jaxflats is offline Find More Posts by jaxflats
Last edited by jaxflats; Jul 30, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:44 PM
LKC
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Not knowing where you are located.
There was surfer dudes available at my local liquidation world..

The box is pretty large, and the unit is quite heavy. So shipping would probably burn the deal.

PM me if you want to take it any further.

Luke
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:02 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville Beach
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
What Brand?

I don't have PM priveleges yet
jaxflats is offline Find More Posts by jaxflats
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:17 AM
LKC
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
this one, sorry if I mislead you to believe it was the Kyosho one..
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:42 AM
Joined Oct 2005
3 Posts
Superman

Just thought I'd let you know that there is another Superman in the park. Crappy Tire had one for $25 that called out to me. I put an eflite 240 on 2 cells in it and it came out at 158 grams, up from the original 115. Anyway, have fun.

John Hamilton
fukengruven is offline Find More Posts by fukengruven