HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2008, 01:16 AM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Hey guys, put my Superfly together today and got a couple of flights in. Its a blast. One question, is there a such thing as a dual conversion micro reciever for it? I was told they don't make one. I would like to use my 9C with it instead of using 2 radios.
jhamlinjr is offline Find More Posts by jhamlinjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2008, 03:41 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
I don't believe it should make any difference whether you use a dual or single conversion receiver with your 9C, or any other transmitter as long as the shift is correct. Don
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:15 PM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
So does that mean a single conversion rx, single conversion crystal to the frequency of the tx, or do you have to use the same but with a dual conversion crystal? Sorry for my ignorance but just never had this issue before.
Old Aug 02, 2008, 07:27 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
Yes, the crystals for dual conversion and single conversion receivers are typically different. You cannot swap the crystals. But, with the proper crystal, it makes no difference if you use a single or dual conversion receiver with your 9C or any transmitter. The dual conversion receiver is typically less prone to adjacent channel interference, therefore less glitching. I have had very good results with both Berg, HiTec and Corana single conversion receivers. Good luck, Don
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin
Old Aug 02, 2008, 08:57 PM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
So I would need to get a single conversion crystal to go in my reciever that matches my 9c and it would work... am I correct?

Thanks in advance for your patience.
Old Aug 02, 2008, 11:07 PM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
[QUOTE=jhamlinjr]So I would need to get a single conversion crystal to go in my reciever that matches my 9c and it would work... am I correct?
Thanks in advance for your patience. [/QUOT

Single conversion crystal for single conversion rec, dual for dual. Hitec makes a real nice very small single conversion and a slightly larger Electron 6 dual conversion. As long as the freq matches your 9C, either will work.

RCNXS
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
Old Aug 02, 2008, 11:11 PM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Got it!

Like I said, thanks for the patience.

Sounds like my best bet is to look into a dual conversion reciever. Maybe in the classifieds.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
Crete, NE. USA
Joined Jul 2001
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamlinjr
Hey guys, put my Superfly together today and got a couple of flights in. Its a blast. One question, is there a such thing as a dual conversion micro reciever for it? I was told they don't make one. I would like to use my 9C with it instead of using 2 radios.

If you've already flown the Superfly already, why do you need a dual conv. receiver?

Don
DonH is offline Find More Posts by DonH
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:36 PM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Because I was using a different Tx and rx and was looking for a dual conversion so that I could use it on my 9c. I have since bought a crystal and am just using single conversion with my 9c.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
The Multiplex Park Master fits this bill to a tee! They just came in and should be readily available shortly.

The best way to describe it is... "It's Acro Master meets Shock Flyer!"

Link: http://www.multiplexusa.com/models/k...kmaster_3d.php

Video: http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorsc...Parkmaster.WMV

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:14 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,642 Posts
I like the look of it. It's a little pricey, but multiplex makes nice kits.

That is actually fairly similar to what I am going for with my project here, although I'm getting there with EPP instead of elapor. Mine will be just a bit smaller, but with similar wing loading, and a bit more watts per pound for the recommended setup. Also they recommend a 950mah battery for that plane, which would really be pushing that pack hard. Better make sure it's 30C rated. I'm using a 1300mah 25C 3s to get to 200W and the finished weight of the plane is 16-17oz. Although, with a smaller wing area on the 32" span wing, the wing loading comes out to about the same in the 6-7oz per square foot range.

I sure wish one of these guys that advertise having a tough plane would actually show crashes in their videos. Whenever I get my video made, I can guarantee there will be lots of violent crashes, and hopefully some good combat midairs to show what happens when you don't treat it so nicely.

I know I have teased you all by saying that this kit is coming soon. However, it still is coming soon. I am just finding that every step of the process of bringing a kit to market takes much longer than I initially expected it to. Although right now it's about tweaking the airframe to make it 3D a bit better. The previous prototypes were OK, but not perfect. The toughness is certainly there, so now I'm just making it fly as good as possible. The previous versions would have made excellent sport/pattern/basic 3D planes, but did not blender well, and had a bit of roll coupling due to the fact that the battery and the other electronics were all below the wing. It hovered and harriered fine, but there is more to 3D than just those maneuvers. That should be much better balanced out on the one I'm making right now. I'll post pics in my blog of this build once I get it done, which should hopefully be by the end of this weekend.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:18 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
Yea the poor dollar exchange rate vs. the Euro has affected pricing but the durability factor makes it well worth the price.

I've actually been using a Flight Power 1200 25C pack which gives about 12+ minutes of hard core flying... I did have to cut the battery slot to move it back to get the CG where I like it... that's why the lighter 950 pack is recommended. Full throttle on the power system we offer is only about 16A so a 20C pack is enough.

Mike.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:39 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,642 Posts
Hi Mike,
I didn't see your handle before. So, I didn't realize you were with multiplex. I'm definitely not dissing that plane at all. I don't own any multiplex planes, but I've seen quite a few around and always thought they were nice.

I usually get around 10 minutes on the 1300 pack. Amp draw is actually a little higher though. Peak on the bench pulls 22A+, and a bit less in the air of course. Scorpion motor data says 17A, but I think it's a little less than that due to unloading. Of course when you are going vertical it really doesn't unload much. I don't know how you like to treat your batteries, but 16A on a 950 pack is almost 17C. I know that's just the peak, but it's a little close to the 20C pack rating for my liking. It's not that I'm overly conservative. I just know that C ratings are not always the most accurate figure we RC'ers are provided with.

Have you had a chance to have a good hard nose-in or cartwheel wing-in on that plane? (I call them 8-point landings - wingtip, nose, wingtip, rudder, wingtip, nose, wingtip, belly). If so, how did it handle the rough treatment? I know it's not meant for combat, and the one I'm doing is built with combat in mind in addition to being a 3D trainer, so it's kind of a different purpose for the plane. But I know when I'm getting goofy and pushing my flying skills, I tend to have a couple of good crashes in an outing. Sometimes more than just a couple.

Anyway, it sure looks like it flies great in the video. I know, that's the video, you get to edit out the mistakes, and use a top notch pilot to make it look good, but still appears to be a great flyer.

Thanks for the information. The RC market needs more durable planes like this, which will speed up the learning process for new pilots. It's nice being able to pretty much skip the entire trainer/buddy box stage through the use of a simulator and a tough plane to learn on. Sometimes I worry that safety will be overlooked by having new pilots flying on their own with very little to no instruction. However, I think it will be alright. Planes in this weight category are not known for causing a lot of destruction and mayhem. As long as people are safe with their lipos, and stay out of the prop arc, and fly in appropriate places, then safety shouldn't be a big issue.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Aug 15, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
I have stuffed it a few times and with CA and a little hot water it goes back together with no ill affects. In my experience having you burst amperage below the continous current rating will not heat up the batteries or do any damage. It's overdischarging them that typically kills them. I'll always figure out how long they can run in a particular application before they drop off and set my timer for a minute or two less.

Yes, having Martin Muller fly in the video makes it look really good, but this plane even makes me look good!!! It's the best 3D foamy I've ever flown... very forgiving and stable.

Mike.

Mike.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 01:22 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuegodeth
The superfly and superflea are both good. I don't have one, but a friend does Basically just little EPP delta's. Tough and nimble. I don't think they're great in wind though.
You kidding? They're great in the wind! Even though the super/hyper flea is only 6 oz., it does great in the wind, and just makes harriers easier.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..