SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:17 AM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
Discussion
Toughest foamie

Just trashed my Tensor 4d on its maiden. Landing struts went right through their holes. Can anyone suggest a good indoor/outdoor foamie? Something made from a different type of foam that is a little more resiliant. My buddy has a hyperflea, which looks like a flying wing and made from a solid piece of tough foam. I work at a fire dept for 48 hrs and am confined to what's around the station as places to fly.

Thanks in advance
Jamie
jhamlinjr is offline Find More Posts by jhamlinjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:21 AM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,202 Posts
cheepest way to learn (imho) is to go buy a bundle of blue foam and a few tools. then just draw whatever you want and cut it out, throw gear on it, and fly. FFF is pretty resiliant too; more inclined to bend a bit before just snapping like depron will; sometimes they even bounce

of course EPP is the best way to go.... you can play chicken with a tree and get away with it lol

heres a place to start looking; these are EPP aerobatic aircraft
http://www.mscompositusa.com/cat~--aerobatic-epp.htm

-David
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:29 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
I have one I will be releasing soon. All 9mm EPP foam profile. 32" wingspan, similar to a katana, but not quite. I'm finishing up my final prototype version to just make sure the minor tweaks to the kit are not screwing something else up, and I should be cutting kits in a week or so. I have a day job and a 3 year old, so time is hard to come by some times. I can tell you that this plane bounces well. I have crashed my previous prototype over 300 times and flown it in combat several times. I swear you could literally pick it up, beat someone with it like a club until they were bloody, and then go fly it. And you wouldn't need to repair it. It's that tough. EPP on it's own is tough in a bouncy way, but tears easily. I've come up with a good formula for overcoming the weaknesses of the material, and spreading the loads and forces involved in flight and in crashes. It is stiff in flight, but flexes on impact. All you will break is props (or possibly motors, servo's rx's, esc's etc.) but not the plane. Part of its resilience comes from the use of use huge tube spars for support. The spars are .294" tubes or just over 8mm. For a look at my early prototype, which is not pretty, but flies great and is very tough, check out this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856950

I'll be getting my domain and website next week. I'm working on the instruction manual this weekend. So, hopefully I'll have some much better photo's and video to present to everyone soon.

As with anything like this, it takes more time than you think. Also, I'm wanting to make sure everything is right, so I don't screw up on my first venture into kit making.

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions you might have. I'm sorry I don't have something better to show right now, but I'm working on it.
Fuegodeth is online now Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Jul 29, 2008, 06:36 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,965 Posts
You can try out a DW Foamies Yak 54 Jr. It's only 28", so it can easily fly inside a firehouse or whatever, yet can fly in 3-5mph winds.

www.dwfoamies.com

Check them out. They all perform great, and are a perfect candidate for someone who is looking for a good foamy to fly indoors.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:27 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Depending on the style you like, there are many EPP type planes that can be built light to fly in small areas.
Even a Stryker airframe built real light(24g outrunner) can fly in the street in front of my house or in a basketball court.
The Flying Wings built light can also fly in small areas, if built as parkflyers.
Out of the about 300 planes I've had, well over 50 have been EPP and at least half of those will fly in small areas and some in lots of wind as well.

My favorite for flying in small, windy areas is the EPP Boomers. With a outrunner driving a larger torque prop, they have a lot of power to weight at low speeds, plus with oversized controls, they turn and loop in a few feet, go stright up on a 3 cell and fly slow enough to run and catch. Plus they bounce off your neighbors cars and trees!
I've built about 20 different Boomers and some other EPP types. Check out the video on page 9, post 125, a 7oz Boomer in winds gusting to 20mph. Butch

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:57 PM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
Didn't mean to drop out but its been a busy day for us. I went ahead and ordered a Superfly. I'm going to give it a try. I'm done with profile foamies. Spent the day yesterday building that Tensor and one flight and its trashed. I'm a heli pilot but love to fly planks too. I can't give up the helis to buy a plank so a good foamie will help me scratch my itch.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to bookmark this page for other ideas should the Superfly not work out. Anyone flying one of these?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
The superfly and superflea are both good. I don't have one, but a friend does Basically just little EPP delta's. Tough and nimble. I don't think they're great in wind though.

I had a tensor before as well. That was what motivated me to make a tougher plane. My tensor's nose broke off when a breeze blew it off the workbench. that 3mm depron is brittle. The plane I'm releasing is for all intents and purposes indestructible through flying and crashes. A giant scale plane with a 20" carbon prop would probably shred it, and I think a shotgun, blow torch or a sword could be used to destroy it. A crash won't hurt it though. I know that's hard to believe. I intend to post video to prove it soon enough. I can tell you it has been crashed hard enough to knock the magnet ring off the motor, and has had a midair hard enough to knock the other planes motor backwards about 1 inch and knocked his prop spinning backwards hard enough to notch in on his motor mount. My plane had no damage and kept flying. The hit was on the top of the wing, at one of the weaker areas of the plane.
For windy flying it can't be beat. I think that may be somewhat of a function of power system though. With 40mph pitch speed and 2.1:1 thrust to weight ratio you can power through any wind. I like to fly the foamy on days that it's too windy to put my other planes up in the air. That's kind of the opposite of what most people say about their foamies, but that's kind of the point.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:20 PM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
Let me know when you release it. Sounds tough although mine needs to be able to withstand at least a 20 guage shotgun blast. .

I'm going to run the Superfly on a 1320 mah 3 cell. Is that too much?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:48 PM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
I think that should be about right. The superfly is the larger of the "supers" I believe. I use a 1300 3s on my foamy. I love that size pack. great on lots of planes.

I'll bet this thing could fly after a 20 guage shotgun blast, but you might need to do some repairs to it. If it was up close, then just tape over the hole. From farther away, then might need a few smaller pieces of tape for the more numerous smaller holes. I don't know what shotgun proof rx and esc you're going to use though.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:07 PM
Milledgeville Ga
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
There was supposed to be a smiley after the thing about the shotgun blast. That's some funny stuff! Yea, we aren't that redneck down here.

Looking foward to getting the Superfly.

Thanks for everyones input.

Fuegodeth-please let me know when you release your design, Ill grab one from you and give it a go. Got some buddies that would buy one also.

Jamie
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:56 PM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
Awesome. . I will be happy to send you a PM when they are ready. I am really hoping it will only be a couple of weeks. I'm not going to release until I am 100% satisfied though. That attitude has cost me some time, but today I came up with a great idea. Alignment notches so that you can't mis-align the wing or horizontal stabilizer. Easy to do, and will make the build very easy. I've already incorporated them into the plans and will be testing that on this (hopefully) last prototype before final. I'll be writing the instruction manual based on the build of this model. So, those will sort of get finished at the same time. Anyway, I'll announce the release in this forum, and will do a post on this thread and the other one that I've mentioned it in. I'll send PM's to those who have inquired as well, but this will help make sure I don't forget anyone.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,495 Posts
I've seen Fuegodeth fly his impervo-foamie. You'd have to be a pretty good wingshot to hit it in the air with him piloting! Oh, and I test-crashed it once for him, too. Beta-testing, don't you know. Ahem.

Super Dave
hancockdw is offline Find More Posts by hancockdw
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:26 PM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
LOL. Thanks Dave,
Are you saying my piloting is erratic? or good? I think it's more of erratic most of the time. I guess that would be the ideal style for dodging AA fire from the bystanders.

I can attest to Dave's crash. It was a hard one. It was one of those ones where you get inverted and pull the wrong way to straighten it out. BOOM!. I thought the motor shaft was bent, but it was just the magnet ring knocked loose. I got it fixed a couple days later though. It has gone on to survive more crashes since then. But I don't think any were as hard as that one. I wouldn't be letting other people demo it if I was worried about crashes though. It was good Beta testing, and I have a good couple of witnesses to it's toughness from it.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:46 AM
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuegodeth
Are you saying my piloting is erratic? or good?
Either way, it'd be hard to bring down!

Say, have you flown it indoors? I think you said it wasn't really intended for that. Current local temperatures (only up to 100 today) make me ask.

Dave
hancockdw is offline Find More Posts by hancockdw
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:49 AM
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancockdw
Either way, it'd be hard to bring down!

Say, have you flown it indoors? I think you said it wasn't really intended for that. Current local temperatures (only up to 100 today) make me ask.

Dave
I agree about the temperatures. I don't know of any indoor venues in my area though. School stadiums are all outdoors. I think a basketball court is too small for it. I have been trying to fly it every day. If you go in the evening and there's a good breeze, then it's pretty tolerable. If you are going to fly at 2PM, then you'll want to have shade and lots of water handy.