SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2008, 11:42 PM
Heli Whore
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
313 Posts
Pretty much what Jim said.

Here's a log of my BL Lama v3. Soon, I'll be posting the CX2.

Components would be virtually the same for this bird, only heavier duty ESC's and stronger motors. This would actually even be easier since the "3-in-1" is already separated from the mixer / gyro as Jim mentioned. No messy electronics dismantling, etc.

Check out the vids of my BL Lama v3 and you'll be pretty amazed at how much more stable it is than stock. I can only imagine how cool this bird would be BL!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848751

-Richard
rich95 is offline Find More Posts by rich95
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2008, 12:42 AM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Tq

Thank you for rich95, teammp, Hokum Jim and all for the replies.
Its shopping time.
I wonder hows my helis think about all these modification...LOL
I hope this discussion in not out of topics, since we - coax maniacs - try to convert the big lama into BL anyway.
ishady is offline Find More Posts by ishady
Old Sep 04, 2008, 09:39 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
wire diagram

I wonder if Mr.bz from strongrcmotor.com kind enough to share us all about the exact wiring diagram for all the rx, gyro, mixer, etc needed for LAMA BL convertion.
So we all - the kindergarten of electronics and soldering - would understand the detail and won't crash another LAMA...LOL.
Thanks.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 09:44 PM
Heli Whore
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
313 Posts
Here's the diagram:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1733814

-Richard

P.S. I bought all my BL C10 motors from Don at Strongmotors and I highly recommend him. He's a good guy. You'll need different motors than the C10's for this new heli but for small co-axials, the C10's are the best. (I tried the F1818 and they were terrible).
rich95 is offline Find More Posts by rich95
Old Sep 04, 2008, 09:47 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich95
Here's the diagram:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1733814

-Richard

P.S. I bought all my BL C10 motors from Don at Strongmotors and I highly recommend him. He's a good guy. You'll need different motors than the C10's for this new heli but for small co-axials, the C10's are the best. (I tried the F1818 and they were terrible).
Thanks for the info and suggestion Richard.
I believe mr.Don is a good guy indeed.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 11:45 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,650 Posts
I like dehicka's diagram linked in rich95's post above. The one below is basically the same except it shows the battery connections and shows the gyro control lead floating. If connected it allows changing from rate mode to HH mode from the transmitter on some gyro's.
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Sep 05, 2008, 12:25 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I'd like Don a lot better if he gave away his motors for free. Overall though, he's been pretty patient with my stupid questions regarding wiring and setup on the brushless conversion.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Sep 05, 2008, 02:46 AM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
I like dehicka's diagram linked in rich95's post above. The one below is basically the same except it shows the battery connections and shows the gyro control lead floating. If connected it allows changing from rate mode to HH mode from the transmitter on some gyro's.
Interesting to see how the gyro and the mixer could work together to controll the blade spinning, even they went into one mixer.
Better not thinking too hard, now, my head is spinning...LOL
Thanks Don, now we all can make ourself a coax.
Anybody doing the BL convertion and dual swashplate both ?
Old Sep 05, 2008, 03:14 AM
Joined Oct 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishady
Interesting to see how the gyro and the mixer could work together to controll the blade spinning, even they went into one mixer.

I am one...
dendog220 is offline Find More Posts by dendog220
Old Sep 05, 2008, 09:10 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,650 Posts
Quote:
project lama did a BL dual swash Lama. He has flown it a lot with both single and dual swash. He even won a compitition flying it from the down linked dual cameras on board! He flew in and out of buildings without being able to see the heli. It is described very well in his build log http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862602
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Last edited by bz1mcr; Sep 05, 2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2008, 12:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
BL and dual swash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendog220
I am one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
project lama did a BL dual swash Lama. He has flown it a lot with both single and dual swash. He even won a compitition flying it from the down linked dual cameras on board! He flew in and out of buildings without being able to see the heli. It is described very well in his build log http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862602
Both guys must be very happy guys..LOL
I hope my turn will be next.
Old Sep 05, 2008, 06:14 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
motor 370

While I buy the BL motors and esc from strongmotor (Don), I already keep what locally available for fun convertion project.
Wonder if is it possible to use the old 4 in 1 mixer (LAMA) for bigger motor 370 x 2 ...HAHAHA...(ready to blow), and why not complete the blade with bigger blade also ??? Fortunately, my local HS supply both the 370 motors (pinion and cable ready) and bigger coax blades for Walkera 53#1.

Last edited by ishady; Sep 06, 2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: new idea
Old Sep 06, 2008, 12:39 PM
I fly ghetto stuff.
Greece
Joined Aug 2007
926 Posts
Quote:
While I buy the BL motors and esc from strongmotor (Don), I already keep what locally available for fun convertion project.
Wonder if is it possible to use the old 4 in 1 mixer (LAMA) for bigger motor 370 x 2 ...HAHAHA...(ready to blow)
In line of principle, it is possible to use it "straight" if you don't exceed its rated power level (or, more simply, the current).

You could however build a small circuit board with beefier transistors driven by the 4-in-1, acting as a "buffer": the 4-in-1 sees a very small load, while the additional transistors do the actual hard work. Of course, this will take up some extra weight and space, but it allows using more powerful motors with no risk for the 4-in-1. All that can burn are the final transistors.
Velktron is offline Find More Posts by Velktron
Old Sep 06, 2008, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
added board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velktron
In line of principle, it is possible to use it "straight" if you don't exceed its rated power level (or, more simply, the current).

You could however build a small circuit board with beefier transistors driven by the 4-in-1, acting as a "buffer": the 4-in-1 sees a very small load, while the additional transistors do the actual hard work. Of course, this will take up some extra weight and space, but it allows using more powerful motors with no risk for the 4-in-1. All that can burn are the final transistors.
Adding a second PCB as a buffer is a bright idea, could you please give us a diagram so I could order them to my technician? As I am not an electrical/soldering guy.
Thanks.
Old Sep 07, 2008, 02:36 AM
Perth
Joined Jun 2007
163 Posts
Also the EK1H-020 has larger (By 10mm) blades than the 53#1
The Touch is offline Find More Posts by The Touch