HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:24 PM
Canucklehead
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
827 Posts
Question
Did Steve Fossett Fake his Death?

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. British newspaper the Daily Telegraph is reporting that adventurer Steve Fossett might have faked his death. The base behind the story comes from Lt Colonel Cynthia Ryan of the US Civil Air Patrol.

Quote:
She said: "I've been doing this search and rescue for 14 years. Fossett should have been found.

"It's not like we didn't have our eyes open. We found six other planes while we were looking for him. We're pretty good at what we do."
She believed he may have faked his death due to personal problems. A number of anomalies have been noted with the incident.

Quote:
Only one witness, a pilot at hotel magnate Barron Hilton's flying ranch near Reno, claims to have seen him take off that day.

That witness claims Fossett asked him to prepare the plane for take off, even though he had never allowed anyone else to do this before.

Fossett also apparently claimed he was going to scout for locations for a land speed record attempt, but he supposedly took off with no emergency equipment.

The choice of plane was also a baffling one - a Bellanca Citabria Super Decathlon, which, according to risk assessor Robert Davis said was constructed from a steel and wood frame, but actually covered in fabric, making it easy to dismantle.
Fossett reportedly has a 25 million Pound life insurance policy from Lloyd's of London.

Richard Branson and Fossett's wife have dismissed the allegations as untrue. One local news network suggested he was possibly having an affair.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2462...own-death.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...th-claims.html

I'm really not sure what to make of this story. While the claims that he faked his own death seem a tad nutty, you can't deny the fact that his plane was never found. However, I suppose it's plausible for a plane to crash in the desert and never be found, even with today's high tech search methods. We don't know where he was heading. What do you guys think happened to Fossett? At this rate, he's due to become this century's Amelia Earhart. The New York Times has a blog post about the Legend of Steve Fossett taking root.
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...tt-takes-root/
orenda635 is offline Find More Posts by orenda635
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:06 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Heard this on the radio earlier today.....if they can't find Osama how can they be sure Fossett isn't dead.

We are still finding crashed planes from WWII that no one knew where they were.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:29 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
The Daily Telegraph must be hurting for circulation...just for fun:

Only one witness, a pilot at hotel magnate Barron Hilton's flying ranch near Reno, claims to have seen him take off that day.

So we have a witness that he departed the Flying-M Ranch. Check.

That witness claims Fossett asked him to prepare the plane for take off, even though he had never allowed anyone else to do this before.

Never allowed somebody else to "prepare" his airplane before flight? Look at his sailplane records and note that most (maybe all?) list Terry Delore as co-pilot. Somebody who has a world-class sailplane pilot as his "co-pilot" doesn't sound like the kind of guy that has never allowed somebody to help pre-flight. Note that sailplanes don't have co-pilots...

Fossett also apparently claimed he was going to scout for locations for a land speed record attempt, but he supposedly took off with no emergency equipment.

...other than his E.L.T watch. And what kind of emergency equipment would one take? I know professional pilots who fly the Sierras every day, and the only safety equipment they carry is...uh...well nothing.

The choice of plane was also a baffling one - a Bellanca Citabria Super Decathlon, which, according to risk assessor Robert Davis said was constructed from a steel and wood frame, but actually covered in fabric, making it easy to dismantle.

Light, maneuverable, great power to weight ratio - sounds like a horrible choice - check. Earth to Daily Telegraph, give me 30 minutes and a Sawzall and I'll the the wings off just about any small airplane out there.

OK, back to lurking...
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 29, 2008, 02:56 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,970 Posts
Wait long enough, and Iwanna will find a zionist conspiracy here...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:04 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
Quote:
She said: "I've been doing this search and rescue for 14 years. Fossett should have been found.

"It's not like we didn't have our eyes open. We found six other planes while we were looking for him. We're pretty good at what we do."
Bzzzzzzttt!

Doesn't this rather beg the question of how those six aeroplaneswhich had crashed on six previous occasions remained lost until this particular search. The assertion really demonstrates nothing other than that crashed aeroplanes can go missing for a long period before being discovered, even being passed over by subsequent searches.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:13 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Bzzzzzzttt!

Doesn't this rather beg the question of how those six aeroplaneswhich had crashed on six previous occasions remained lost until this particular search. The assertion really demonstrates nothing other than that crashed aeroplanes can go missing for a long period before being discovered, even being passed over by subsequent searches.
to me it means that unless you're famous they aren't going to be looking very hard for your wreckage.

dave
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jul 29, 2008, 04:18 AM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
I actually do believe he faked it.... They can know a ring that he would have to have crashed within... A Super Decathlon isn't a terribly long range airplane... there is a search area and you can bet your butt they covered every last inch of it. They WOULD SEE a freshly crashed airplane. If he had gone down in a jungle that is different.

Guys this was a top notch pilot. Unless the plane broke he didn't crash and die. NOW I think it could be possibly he ran out of gas or had the engine fail and landed safely and possibly near something he could have hidden the airplane in, but why would he do that?

If he crashed because the airplane broke, why no ELT signal?

I don't buy it, it reeks of deception. Not to mention the fact that they updated all the sat photos in the area so anyone can help search for the wreckage.

If they find a wreck and body or bone, Ill gladly accept that I was wrong and eagerly await an analysis of what happened to a great pilot in VFR weather. I dont think thats gonna happen though.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:06 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
You have to consider it as a possibility. The guy is certainly smart enough to get away with it. But it's only a possibility and should be severely dismissed unless stronger evidence is found.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; Aug 03, 2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:40 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
Any lakes out there? He was supposed to be scouting out dry river beds for shooting a film. Maybe he found a not-so-dry stream.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:43 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious
I actually do believe he faked it.... They can know a ring that he would have to have crashed within... A Super Decathlon isn't a terribly long range airplane... there is a search area and you can bet your butt they covered every last inch of it. They WOULD SEE a freshly crashed airplane. If he had gone down in a jungle that is different.

Guys this was a top notch pilot. Unless the plane broke he didn't crash and die. NOW I think it could be possibly he ran out of gas or had the engine fail and landed safely and possibly near something he could have hidden the airplane in, but why would he do that?

I don't buy it, it reeks of deception. Not to mention the fact that they updated all the sat photos in the area so anyone can help search for the wreckage.

If they find a wreck and body or bone, Ill gladly accept that I was wrong and eagerly await an analysis of what happened to a great pilot in VFR weather. I dont think thats gonna happen though.
What it reeks of is CT.

The Sierras are heavily forested. It is conceivable that the plane will not be found until/unless someone practically steps on it.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away
Wait long enough, and Iwanna will find a zionist conspiracy here...
Or someone will inject an off topic gratuitious straw-man argument and insult, all in a single sentence.
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:09 AM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Back in 1997 an A10 crashed in the Rockies carrying several 500lb. bombs. It took them weeks to find it despite a radar track. Then have never found the bombs.

I have explored several airplane wrecks in the Rockies, and afterward viewed the site from satellite photos. The wrecks are undetectable.

It is far more likely they can't find the wreck than that this is a hoax.
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:10 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme
What it reeks of is CT.

The Sierras are heavily forested. It is conceivable that the plane will not be found until/unless someone practically steps on it.
Ah, you're right, no-one said anything about forests.

WWII aircraft wrecks turn up in woodlands and forests after laying undiscovered for over 60 years, even in places close to habitation.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:14 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious

Ever been up in the area he went down?

Lots and lots of places to hide a plane, intentionally or otherwise.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay