HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:25 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Rant
Why do people bling out Heli's before they can fly them properly?

I always like to take a look in the for sale section under the Electric Helis category, I'm always interested to see what people are selling. I see so many posts of people selling heavily modified RTFs like Kings and even a few Trex types with lots of CNC bling and a disclaimer that they have never flown it yet or it only had a few test hovers, etc. I saw one for-sale post where the heli was super modified, and it still had the training gear attached!! I thought this was so funny to see all these expensive upgrades sitting on the heli with TRAINING GEAR still attached!!! Is all that CNC stuff going to help hover that bird better than the stock plastic parts at this point? If you don't even know how the heli flys before you do any of this work on it, how would you know if what you installed is installed properly and working any better that stock?? Why do people sink so much into modifications when their skill level is not even past basic hovering yet? I just think it's so silly, are these parts going to make them instantly better pilots? Then the harsh reality sets in that it's not how much you spend on upgrades, it's the magic you have in your thumbs that will help you to fly better, so they just bail out and try to sell? I'm sorry, I just felt like a little rant today.
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:30 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Feb 2008
209 Posts
wait till they experience their first crash during their first flight of their fully blinged heli. take the calc out and do the math. hehehe
kimmy is offline Find More Posts by kimmy
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:31 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,084 Posts
those who can.. Fly, those who can't, Mod :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:38 AM
MasterBlaster runs Bartertown
Joined Jul 2008
553 Posts
Seems like a lot of people never get the heli set up right when they get it, so they keep installing parts hoping it will fly. Of course, if you don't know how to set the damn thing up in the first place, why are you working on it?
eaterofdog is offline Find More Posts by eaterofdog
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:38 AM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
I can understand things like brushless upgrades (king and suchlike) and hh gyros because they make it easier to fly/ hover, but alloy and carbon whats the point?.until your past the crashing stage it seems a waste of money
henryd123 is offline Find More Posts by henryd123
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Feb 2008
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryd123
I can understand things like brushless upgrades (king and suchlike) and hh gyros because they make it easier to fly/ hover, but alloy and carbon whats the point?.until your past the crashing stage it seems a waste of money
totally agree. one more thing, CNC makes the heli precise and responsive but that would be too responsive on a newbie's stick skills
kimmy is offline Find More Posts by kimmy
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:10 AM
sacramento , CA
sacramento , CA
Joined Apr 2007
735 Posts
I bought a used blade cp pro that is blinged out to the gill....poor guy never had a chance to fly it..Im just going to use it for parts now..bought it for 120.00
newbie39 is offline Find More Posts by newbie39
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:22 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2004
531 Posts
I feel the same way. I see this kind of thing all the time, also I think its funny how some people try to make the heli "crash proof "...LOL well if they learned how to fly it they wouldnt crash it. both my heli are bone stock and I fly the stuff out of em.
smoothb10 is offline Find More Posts by smoothb10
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:13 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Come on guys! We all know why 'we' like to buy cool parts for our heli's. They're cool!

Sure, newbies want charms against the heli-eating ground monster. (Over a year ago I searched for the 'magic set up' for the Blade CP Pro. The magic turns out to be in the way I hold the sticks.) But that doesn't mean that beautifully engineered CNC and CF parts don't have a cachet. At least to me they do.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:24 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2004
531 Posts
we all love the bling were just saying learn to fly first then bling it out thats all.
smoothb10 is offline Find More Posts by smoothb10
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
I'd have to agree with the sentiment here.. and I am not saying that because I have some attitude about noobs.

I say it because I was a bling'aholic when I started. I probably dumped $400-500 into a HB CP2.. and it didn't really fly better at all.

Nubs should realize that its best to fly a cheap decent performer to get orientation.. then go ahead for a better heli.

Add up the cost of what you want for bling.. it may be that a T-rex is what you should buy.

In the end a lighter heli is a better heli!
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:40 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Learning what and when to mod your heli is as much a part of the learning process as flying.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:36 PM
bao
It was on fire when i arrived!
France, RA, La Laupie
Joined Dec 2007
660 Posts
Not all is bling !
IMHO its a qstn of taste also (but i prefer the essential even if it looks like bling) ,its a little like cars as in some buy a car and start to bling it up etc but if you drive badly it wont change much.
Perso im not bling orientated but i would buy certain pieces to help out and give me the best chances of being able to learn to fly ,because end of the day we can put anything on the heli but you stilll have to learn to fly. As an example one of my first 'bling' items was the micro heli swash for the hbk2 and it was a good improvement. I suppose a lot of us buy stuff and not make the most of it i am guilty of that too i still have a guitar and ampli that i cant get a note out off lmao.
bao is offline Find More Posts by bao
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:11 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
i look at it much like you do .. blinging for blingings sake is somthing people just enjoy doing and it can make it more enjoyable to fly with some new sweet looking parts but changing things before you know how things work is asking for trouble .. and imo it IS just like cars or anything else .. simply putting on an air cleaner and loud exaust isnt going to make your car better .. just louder with a couple of unforeseen problems mixed in like not being able to hear your stereo and the aircleaner needing changing more often .. so imo if u realy want to improve on a stock machine it has to be an all-out and total effort to the whole machine and tuned according to your advanced knowledge of how it works .. otherwise your most likely messing up and causing yourself problems by throwing one or two upgrades at an ailing heli trying to make it 'better' or work right ..
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:18 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
im not a newb.. but i really like bling.. the more the better.. every heli i own is all cnc and CF/GF the only plastic is in the servos and skids....(exept my fp) when i was learning... i realized that just switching to a cnc head made the bird more crash proof and fly better... cnc is 10x better than plastic... and the heli really does fly better with it!
Heliman420 is online now Find More Posts by Heliman420