HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:56 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Discussion
rio 51

anyone got a rio 51? i'm thinking about getting one, but the crappy header bothers me. how many will the replace if they crack as easy as i have herd? is it true no clutch. ya it robs speed, but i really want one. is there room to add one after the motor? all info greatly appreciated.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2008, 02:53 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2006
99 Posts
keep your eye open on tower hobbies, I bought one in their scratch and dent section in perfect shape just no engine for 210 and used their 25 dollor off promotion. that leaves pleanty of budget for a zenoah 26 with clutch.It even had the exhaust and motor mounts still. Over at rc universe I posted a thread titled '' SCRATCH AND DENT RIO 51" and got pleanty of responces . And to your questions they upgraded the header but issues with the fuji motor carbs. There are a few guys that have added the zen 260 and clutch ,but had to mod a bit . I myself am getting ready to order a engine w/clutch from warehouse hobbies,they seem to have the best rep in the gas boating side from all that Ive read and seem to be best prices as well.
stevo7896 is offline Find More Posts by stevo7896
Old Jul 30, 2008, 06:59 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
thanks stevo. i'll be getting mine fri, or sat. i check out the string on rc universe.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:02 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,876 Posts
The Rio 51's that are shipping out now are supposed to have the header problem fixed. It wasn't really because of a bad header but the tuned pipe hitting the transom that was breaking them off at the flange.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:52 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
mine came with a rubber grommet type of thing around the stinger. is that the fix? the pic on the box shows a bead around the pipe, but mine was brazed in. i put 2 beads on it. should not break now.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:18 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,876 Posts
I think that part of the fix was to move the hole in the transom as in the old place it was putting stress on the pipe and header.
I asked Mike and Russ at Aquacraft if there was any way to tell if people were buying the original or the revised boat and got no direct answer.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:24 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
imagine that. they don't want the old version coming back to them. it would be nice to be able to tell though. 1/4 tank today. more tomorrow hopefully.
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:47 PM
Joined Jul 2004
30 Posts
pipe

I have a Rio 51 two headers and one motor broken @ flange later Still have the boat it runs great if it Header and the FLANGE works Company stand by there product Had new parts in a week KJ
<
rcbiker is offline Find More Posts by rcbiker
Old Aug 02, 2008, 07:04 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
have it welded. i did my own. luckily i have a mig welder. knew about it, and did the fix.
Old Aug 03, 2008, 10:24 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
that's cool. just wish Aquacraft would foot the shipping both ways on motors. love it even with it's problems.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:25 AM
Never say DIE...
Urbana IL
Joined Feb 2006
233 Posts
Rio 51 racers.

Truth is it was ALOT of factors. So with that let me set it straight.

The header was with out question the major issue. It was not welded or made per our requirements. The headers that was shipped with the first boats were and are weak.

The pipe was the second issue. The water cooling flange was not welded “BUT NOT ON ALL” concentric to the length of the pipe.

The alignment of the pipe out of the transom.. The hole in the transom of the boat is in the same place on ALL BOATS.. having stated that the pipe and header were welded poorly the alignment in regards to holding back water from the stinger exit became critical. The miss alignment of the parts and the load the exhaust placed on the motor was the cause for the failures.

ALL RIO 51s after the first shipment have had the problems addressed.

Thanks for reading

Grim
Grimracer is offline Find More Posts by Grimracer