HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2008, 04:19 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Discussion
1st Generation GWS WW2 War Bird fighter collection complete

P-51 Mustang has recently been added to the collection..have yet to maiden it. At this point, I think the ME-109 is the best of the bunch. I had a Camo Spitfire along with the red\white one but it was lost in a crash 2 years ago this october.. I may order a new decal set for it and do a repaint back to military colors..I have a new zero in the box that I would trade for a new camo spit.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Sep 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2008, 08:03 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Now you'll need to add the P-40, AT-6, and FW-190 to your collection. Probably not the way you'd build one as you like to keep things light (nothing wrong with that), but I built the FW-190 with retracts, scale split flaps, a bomb drop, as well as a 12x8 3 blade prop.
Its also running a 4s 2200 battery so the plane is not light at all. Motor is putting out 550+ watts at WOT. It weighs 44oz ready to fly, but man does it fly great. GWS lists the flying weight at 23oz. Mine is almost twice that, but she'll still land pretty easy without the flaps deployed. I will note, that I have NOT flown the plane at WOT. Fastest I've dared go so far is half throttle, but will do a full speed pass after I get more comfortable.

I do like the first gen birds like you pictured. I do have the zero, corsair, ME-109, and P-38(though not really a 1st gen like you mentioned).
Are you going to go an ME-262? As you know thats a WWII plane also.
I wouldnt mind doing a GWS Spit or P-51, but have too many Spitfires already.
And the AT-6 is not my type of plane...but could be modded into say a dauntless dive bomber or Avenger torpedo bomber.

I think you've seen the plane already...so will only post one pic for those visiting the thread.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Are you going to go an ME-262? As you know thats a WWII plane also.
I wouldnt mind doing a GWS Spit or P-51, but have too many Spitfires already.
And the AT-6 is not my type of plane...but could be modded into say a dauntless dive bomber or Avenger torpedo bomber.
I don't have storage space for any more planes and I'm to attached to the ones I got to let any go so I'm stuck..Would like a 262 but will have to wait till a space opens up for one. I have a AT-6 and its the first GWS plane that I have been disappointed with..something funny with the airframe as it likes to suddenly take a dive and is uncontrollable for a few seconds and if your lucky you can recover before it noses in...now before I get Flamed I just want to say that I have many planes and the AT-6 is the only one I have that suddenly becomes unstable and kind of flutters down for no apparent reason Other than that its an OK plane I guess. I recently retired mine after it stalled in a turn and fell to the ground..I managed to pull up to prevent total destruction but it was damaged and I'm tired of repairing it.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:13 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
odd. I havent read through the GWS thread on the AT-6. Has there been others that ran into this problem too?
Kinda sounds like an esc cutting out or having a short in it, or a bad rx, but since I havent seen the plane fly, Im not going to say I think its this or that. I'll take your word that somethings not right with your plane.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:02 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Yea I must have done something wrong in the build with the AT-6 or something is out of alignment. I'm pretty sure its not the radio equipment as I have had 3 different setups in it including a DX-6. The problem occurs when doing coordinated turns. The plane has been taken out of service for now and maybe someday I'll try it again or maybe not. I have to many good flying planes to be messing with a problem child and the AT-6 is a problem child to me. Anyway..its probably me because I have not heard anyone else complain about it.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:53 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Power Plants

The Zero and Mustang have the same Engine\Gearbox. The Mustang has the better lighter lipo though so has a small advantage. The Corsair is the only one with an outrunner and has a fresh lipo so it has the power advantage over the rest. All of these planes are setup for Endurance over speed. A simple prop change could increase the power on all of them. The way I have them setup they basically can run WOT for 10 minutes. I time every flight and set it for 10 minutes. Any longer than that, There tends to be problems like crashes over heating or over discharge of the lipos so 10 minutes per plane works for me. I usually fly 5 warbirds at a time so thats 50 minutes total flight time in an outting..thats enough at one time for me.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 31, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 06:31 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Awesome collection.. While i am a huge fan of dogfight ready looking paint schemes...that Spitfire is my favorite of the bunch!

Thanks for sharing your pictures... awesome stuff.

Have you tried that Venom Zero on 3s yet? Its a hoot.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
I had two of those spitfires Smokescreen and its camo scheme was so good, I often lost orientation when flying that one. The red\white Spit is easy to see and I often fly it last just before dark. MY flying friend has one of those Venom zeros and he keeps asking me to try it for him and I will sooner or later but it looks just like the GWS zero and is a clone by the looks of it.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 31, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
1st Gen warbird Videos

Here are videos with ROG and landings on pavement. I'm still working on getting video for all 5 war birds.

Zero...Just basic flying..wheels have since been upgraded to foam.
GWS Zero now with audio (3 min 33 sec)

Corsair...
GWS Corsair F4U perfect pavement landing. (0 min 59 sec)

Spitfire..the wind is blowing so hard the plane cannot even Taxi..but it can fly

GWS Spitfire in high winds (1 min 46 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Jul 29, 2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
I had two of those spitfires Smokescreen and its camo scheme was so good, I often lost orientation when flying that one. The red\white Spit is easy to see and I often fly it last just before dark. MY flying friend has one of those Venom zeros and he keeps asking me to try it for him and I will sooner or later but it looks just like the GWS zero and is a clone by the looks of it.
I know what you mean about the camoflauge! It really works. My Cox Micro P-40 would vanish on me if I flew too low.

Ohh..I see. The battery that you're runnining your Zero is a Venom..I thought the plane was the Venom kit. You're right... its identical...and its a total blast. Good airframe. The 3-blade prop looks extremely cool on yours.

Wasn't there some kind of an issue with the angle of the wing of the GWS A6M Zero? Seems okay on my venom clone.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:04 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Yea that 3 blade prop on the zero is a Flying Styro prop. The GWS Zero comes with a 3 blade prop and a cool 3 blade spinner. That stock spinner works with the 3 blade FS prop. There is some issue with the wing incidence on the GWS Zero but its really not an issue with a normal power system..the guys that are complaining about it have installed 200+watt power and wonder why it climbs so fast I just realized that the way I worded the power description on the zero that people may think its a Venom plane. No its a GWS with a Venom lipo. I had a 3 cell lipo in the zero with about 100watts power and it did seem to want to climb but I just adjusted the elevator and all was good. I prefer the zero at a lower power level as it looks more realistic when flying at lower speeds..I prefer scale type pattern flying. Check this video and you will see why I like the zero with lower speed..I try to emulate what the pilot does in this video..
This is a video at a Japanese air show..Turn your speakers up and listen to the engine in this zero..its got a real nice sound..

Mitsubishi A6M Zero airshow (3 min 37 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Jul 31, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:37 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
New Spitfire 400

On this one I'm going to remove some foam from inside the tail area in an effort to build one around 14 oz. These plane just fly well if there about that weight IMO. Then I will re-pose the planes and get a shot of American, Japanese, British, German planes in a row. This is the third Spitfire I have owned. I had one that looked just like the one on the box painted the exact same way. It was totaled in a crash two years ago and I'm finally going to replace it. This time however I'm going to do it in a solid color (green) like the mustang and 109 but leave the bottom white. I had problems with the camo scheme on the spit and was always losing orientation of the plane.
Last edited by modfly; Aug 01, 2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:52 PM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
896 Posts
Nice collection. I really like the looks of that 109.
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:59 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
That is a very good flying plane planekiller. It was difficult to balance because on the long fuselage. Its the only one that has clay dead weight added to the nose (1oz).

here is the build thread for the 109....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868662