SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:09 PM
Joined Jul 2006
82 Posts
Discussion
First flight in over 1 year.

I used a vintage Debolt Live Wire Kitten with a speed 400 motor with a
1700 gearbox,8-4 prop on 10 600AE cells. I sustituted a thick flatbottom
wing with about 48'" span for the original 34" wing. Plane was very forgiving.
Flew like a motor glider. I did not forget to move the rudder stick in
the direction of the low wing when the model was headed toward me.
It was much easier than expected. Have a Lil Esquire under construction.
cvint is offline Find More Posts by cvint
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:32 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
It is easy to get back on the bike....get the rust off you will be fine!
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:36 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Good on you - you have to keep up with the important basic skills of life!

Not as spectactular, but I got out last week, after not flying since Memorial Weekend. It's not so much a matter of forgetting how to fly totally - more a case of reminding yourself that being out of practice tends to mean you aren't as hot a pilot as when you practiced lots...

For one, our runway suddenly seemed a lot smaller than I remember

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
When I moved into the new house last November, I put all of the airplanes and anything so involved into the attic so as to keep my mind focused on all the work that I had to do. Things have come along well and the club was having a campout/nightfly last Friday night so I figured "What the h3ll".

My trusty Harrier .46 was brought down and a new rx battery installed. The radio batts, the rx batt, and the A123 batts were all charged well before heading out. I even remembered to buy a new 9V battery for the glowire system. This was a big one as last time it was used the battery started getting weak halfway through the nite flight and things got kinda scary to say the least!

Once at the field it took me quite a while to assemble the plane working by flashlight. There were about 15 campers present but they were all too chicken to fly. Must have had something to do with the wind? Perhaps I should have taken the hint there but my thick head wouldn't allow it.

Off into the darkened sky she went. The Glowire outline of wing and fuse/tailfeathers made it really easy to see. The only problem was my rustyness and the wind compounded to give one huge bucking bronco ride. It may have also had a bit to do with the extra tailweight (aft CG) of a larger rx battery. Anyway, after a few minutes showing off (frantically) and getting back into the saddle I proceeded to bring it in. My knees never did start to knock, at least until after the safe touchdown. There were even a few claps once the plane came to a stop on the runway.

I gratiously accepted a few calm me down refreshments around the campfire afterwards. The plane came home in one piece and I'm quite happy to say so did I.

The next day I thought that I'd check radio settings to see if I could help smooth the flying down. It turns out that all of the exponential that I had dialed in was back at zero. I usually like it anywhere between -20% to -30%. Any thoughts on how this could have changed?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:33 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Hi Greg,

What are the details of your A123 power system for your Harrier?

Thanks! Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:14 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
5S2P pushing an Axi 2628/10 and an APC 11 X 7E prop.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2007
58 Posts
hah, I just had my first flight in about 3 years (with a viper shark) about a month ago. I was a little leary (it was also the planes first flight, in a small football field), and I managed to break the nose off of it.

Next flight I was doing circles inverted at <3 feet off the ground (didn't tell my dad about that!).

It's a good thing this all comes back so quick!
Hammilton is offline Find More Posts by Hammilton