SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I was able to find a good used Futaba Skysport 6 for cheap It has a dial for flaps on it. I think I'll ditch the gyro idea and do a simple mechanical thing along the lines of what I've seen here. When I use my video gear it's mounted on a peanut helmet anyway. It would be a very simple matter to attach the flap pot on the edge of the helmet and use some sort of stick or bungee method.
At least I'll be able to keep my aileron wings and not have to go back to 3 channel flight.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:26 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,881 Posts
The control surface will stay in whatever position it's being commanded to
by the Tx. The gyro drives the Tx, not the control surface itself
so there's no way for it to "push back" to center. Once it drifts, and it
will drift, it'll stay off center.

This whole scheme sounds overly complex and ultimately expensive.

The mechanical HT using an old joystick pot is so cheap and pretty simple to set up.
Here's the demo of my prototype.
FPV Mechanical ReelHT prototype demo (3 min 9 sec)

See this thread, to follow the development of mine.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814314

This thing works fantastically, and many other people have flown my
FPV plane using it. It can be tied to any variable pot in the Tx
that can drive a dedicated channel (including rudder pot or equiv), and
since I use switch jacks, when the plug is pulled, the Tx operates
normally.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
What I plan to do is remove the flap pot from the tx completely. I got this radio so cheaply I've got room to experiment. This will be a "one radio one plane" thing. What I plan to do is lengthen the wires and affix a plug to the tx so I can put the head gear on first, then plug the pot into the tx.
I think I'll deviate a bit and attach the pot to the back of my head gear. I'll attach an arm to the pot that I can attach a piece of elastic to. Since I wear a vest when I fly I'll simply add a D ring to the back, between my shoulders and attach the elastic to that with an easily removable clip. I'm only interested in panning the camera so this should be a really easy mod.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:59 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,881 Posts
Look at the thread I linked above, where we talk about the difference
and challenges between attaching in the front and the back.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Look at the thread I linked above, where we talk about the difference
and challenges between attaching in the front and the back.

ian
I have a "novelty" motorcycle helmet, called a "peanut" that I use for my video receiver. It keeps the omni antenna six feet off the ground, and I can move around without bumping into anything and knocking it over
I'm also prone to using "transmitter english" when I fly That's why I'm looking into putting the control for the pan servo in the back. I usually wear a good pair of suspenders when I fly (yea gettin old, no butt) about half way up my back is a leather Y that I can attach a D ring to. I'm planning on mounting the pan actuator pot about six inches out on a rod from the back of the helmet. I'll attach an arm of some sort to the pot. Then I'll just get some decent size elastic cord and put a snap on the end so I can hook it to the D ring. If the suspenders aren't rigid enough to hold the pot centered I'll have to think up something else. Maybe a cord with a couple of loops in it that I could stick my arms through like some sort of harness.
That will also allow me to remove my video goggles quickly if I have to.

My easy star doesn't have a tilt servo so I don't have to worry about 2 axis.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,881 Posts
Ok. Do whatever you want.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:58 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,881 Posts
Ok. Do whatever you want.
I can only tell you what I know works well.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
The way I will mount it will allow either front or back so I'll probably experiment with several ways to do this. It won't have to move end to end to suit me. If I can get at least a 45 degree sweep I'll be happy. Half of the fun of all this is the self discovery.
The problem I would have in using the tx antenna as the anchor is that I have a tendency to move my hands a lot. If you ever saw some of my attempts at holding my nikon while videoing something you'd understand Now I just strap it on a homemade head mount and the shaking disappears
Last edited by randall1959; Jul 30, 2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:14 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,881 Posts
I think you'd find that you'll move around less while flying FPV, but it
sounds like your mind is made up.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I've been flying FPV for around four months now and yea, my hands still move around a lot. I've tried doing 3 channel and using the rudder stick to pan the camera and wasn't too impressed with that. I've also been flying everything from a Cessna Minimum up to an eight foot telemaster for around fifteen years. I've always been pretty much a stick in the corners type every since I got my first duraplane and taught myself to fly out in the sticks. Some of us were just born fidgety I guess
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:34 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
If you do build this contraption, please post pictures!
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I plan to TTS. I'm just waiting on some stuff to get here so I can get started.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I finally got all my rc stuff to the new house I decided to use a gymbal instead of the actual flap switch. I took the aileron/elevator gymbal out and broke it down till I have just the one pot and I managed to adjust some of the spring tension out of it so it should move freely, yet go back to center. I'm going to mount that directly onto the back of my helmet. I'll post a couple of pics momentarily after the glue dries.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Here's what I have so far. Now all I need is some servo wire and the tx I have coming. I'm going to disconnect the flap pot, and add a servo connector to the side of the tx. I also have to go to wally world for some elastic and a D ring. Since I normally wear a denim vest I'll attach the D ring between my shoulders and run the elastic to that.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Well, since my new radio hasn't arrived yet, and I have only ever used channel 6 for pan anyway, I decided to crack open my Prizm 7X and cut the wires to that pot and added a servo lead. Being mindfull of the position of the center wire, I then added the corresponding connector to the gymbal. Either it's because I am using a Futaba Gymbal on a Hitec radio, or something else, even at full deflection of the gymbal, I'm probably only getting 20 degrees of movement, total.
http://www.vimeo.com/1440198
On my radio, I've got all the epa's set out to 125% It also appears that the knob rotates much farther than the gymbal will allow it's pot to rotate so I'm going to have to look into some means of fixing that.