Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:20 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,250 Posts
Cool
Alfa Spitfire - escaping the heat

My RC Groups friend Chris in Missouri had a complete Spit kit that he was not planning on building. He sold it and all the supporting servos, motor and supplies (all HXT from HobbyCity) along with the Alfa retract set -- at a fantastic price. I simply could not resist. My intention was to put it away for the future.

Flash forward to last weekend. The heat and humidity were insane. Not wanting to be in the great outdoors oozing, I retreated to the great basement and much cooler temperatures.

Here's the result. I fly from a grass field, so the retracts were out. I did use the wheels and covers to make the dummy look a bit better. This is the first Alfa model I have seen with seperate aileron servos -- nice! This will permit using differential in the radio programming to make certain rolls are perfectly axial. The old single servo set-up was fine, but limited the ability to fine-tune surface travels.

I just couldn't bring myself to use the HXT servos while the HXT motor would have required a firewall modification. So, I went with pretty much my typical Alfa + MP Jet set-up. That is... Hitec HS55 servos all around. HXT 18A controller on the blue MP Jet 35D outrunner turning an APC 9x6 SF prop. 1500 Mah 3S LiPo. 2.4G receiver. Looks pretty nice for a rush build.

What's your favorite Alfa?

PS: Update as of July 27. Maiden flight was this morning. What a fantastic flyer! Really moves around the sky and very nimble on controls. As I suspected, having two aileron servos is a real plus. Rolls to the left were crisp, right no so much. A bit of adjustment and... viola! I really like flying this airframe and the La7. Both have similar qualities.
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Jan 10, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:06 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
My favorite Alpha is The F-86, hence my name
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:38 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
Thats an amazing looking hangar you have there.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:04 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,412 Posts
Great looking spit! And congrats on the maiden.
I second Paul, amazing hangar!
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:29 PM
out of the western sky...
Harbor City, CA
Joined Jul 2003
603 Posts
I also like the F-86! The "Marie" P-51D is my oldest, but has some issues... The Spit is on my list of must haves though, a friend has one and it flys very well!

I love your whole collection! Very nice! How do you like the DH-88? Is that the one from HobbyPeople? ASM I think? I want to come over and play!

ScottB
Skyking213 is offline Find More Posts by Skyking213
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:33 PM
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,250 Posts
I can highly recommend the Spit. Very happy. The DH-88 Comet you see is the EAM one. It flys great on two outrunners turning 6x4 APC props.

The Hobby People version is huge. Something on the order of 80" span. I have one put away for someday. It does not have a great reputation -- seems to like to high-speed snap stall. You can see how large the fuselage and nacelles are in the far right corner of this photo...
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:15 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,631 Posts
You really need to add some more pics of your other planes. There's atleast 1/2 dozen I'd love to read the details on. Have you flown your T-6 yet? I need to wrap mine up and take it out.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Aug 01, 2008, 07:15 AM
Joined Nov 2003
2,250 Posts
D9 -- The Texan still belongs to Horizon/Hangar 9. Hopefully the photo shoot will be next Friday the 8th, then it's all mine.

Over the weekend I can take a couple shots of anything you are particularly interested in. Here's the other shots on my hard drive from the day I did the Spit...
Old Aug 02, 2008, 02:27 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,631 Posts
...belongs to Horizon??? Thanks for adding some extra pics. I really like that Hungarian plane? Seems like that would be something cool for Alfa to make. Same with that Firefly. Is the Wildcat an Alfa plane? I love that North Atlantic Scheme. Had I not been in such a rush to get mine flying. I think I should have painted it like that.
Old Aug 02, 2008, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,250 Posts
The Wildcat is North Atlantic. A good friend of mine, Steve St. Martin, built it from a Jim Ryan kit. I finished the panel lines, dull cote and installed all the equipment.

On the AT-6, I review models for Fly RC. That's the one that will end up in the magazine.
Old Aug 03, 2008, 03:23 PM
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,631 Posts
Fly RC huh? How bout getting me a break on my subscription. You know that's about the only RC mag I still buy these days. I met Steve a few years ago when I first got into RC. I was still living in RI at the time. Actually he's the guy who got me into this site. I joined later that afternoon. Did he build that Firefly..? Seems I remember him having one like that.