SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:10 AM
Joined Jun 2008
41 Posts
Discussion
best micro 3ch heli?

Hi people,

Which one is currently considered to be the 'best' quality, micro out there?
dw850 is offline Find More Posts by dw850
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:35 PM
WA
Joined Jun 2007
236 Posts
3ch helis and quality dont usually go together . The micro mosquito from radio shack is the best quality but least scale looking and you will pay a bit more for it unless you go with an older version or clones where quality may be touch and go. If you are really concerned about quality go for a hobby grade micro heli like the 4#3, 5G6, mCX etc...

The atlas, tandem and reflex are other options where quality is good:
atlas - http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/a4a2/
tandemZ - http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/a493/
reflex - http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/93bf/

For scale looks, cheap prices and your luck based quality: (if you are getting one of these get one with a propotional tail rotor for a more fun ride)
airwolf - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14128
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14461
apache - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12517
bell - http://www.raidentech.com/double-cou...elicopter.html
couple of others - http://www.raidentech.com/3rche.html
hueyhog is offline Find More Posts by hueyhog
Old Oct 03, 2008, 10:06 AM
Build Fly Crash Fix
Indiana
Joined Apr 2007
37 Posts
mCX is my vote

I have had the mCX for a week now and am just thrilled with it. I have many helicopters both indoors and outdoors but never had as stable and controllable of an indoor helicopter. Figure eights forward and backwards, lateral movement. I swear it is more responsive than the CX2. I still like the CX2 in the gynasium we fly at on Tuesdays.
This thing flies great in my family room, just watch the spot landings if there are obstacles because that's when you have a potential to impact the blades. It doesn't look strudy but it stands up to crashes. It is stable enough that you won't ever crash unless you are practicing stunts and spot landings.
Please note that I am using the BNF version with the Blade CX2 transmitter. Dip switch 67 and 8 had to be reversed. On the Vapor, 6 and 7 had to be reversed. The DIP settings are in the Blade CX2 manual.
fredtron is offline Find More Posts by fredtron
Old Oct 03, 2008, 02:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Yeah... screw 3-channel toys... get a 4-channel toy
Blade mCX Consumer Review (14 min 41 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 03, 2008, 04:32 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I realize you guys are proud of your extremely expensive MCX helicopters, but the original subject of the thread is "Best micro 3ch heli", not "What do you think about a blade mcx".

Considering the threads that have popped up just in the last two days of servos stripped out and motors failing, I would hold off on buying an MCX until any issues have had a chance to be ironed out.

The best 3ch that I've personally seen is this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14126

For $20.50 you'll get your money's worth out of it before it stops being able to fly. Notice that you can buy 7 of these for the price of one MCX RTF.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Oct 03, 2008, 05:03 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001
I realize you guys are proud of your extremely expensive MCX helicopters, but the original subject of the thread is "Best micro 3ch heli", not "What do you think about a blade mcx".
The original post was made 3 months ago and that person no doubt made their purchasing decision a long time ago, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have to disagree with the "extremely expensive" comment, I don't consider 100 bucks expensive for a fully controllable micro heli that is completely built and ready to run right out of the box and that flies as stable as coax helis twice its size. Maybe if being compared with the price of a Havoc or PiccoZ, but it's in a different class than that typical toy-grade stuff.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 03, 2008, 06:02 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
The original post was made 3 months ago and that person no doubt made their purchasing decision a long time ago, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have to disagree with the "extremely expensive" comment, I don't consider 100 bucks expensive for a fully controllable micro heli that is completely built and ready to run right out of the box and that flies as stable as coax helis twice its size. Maybe if being compared with the price of a Havoc or PiccoZ, but it's in a different class than that typical toy-grade stuff.
No doubt. One could buy twenty 3-ch garbage helicopters and never have the fun or achieve the proficiency this "extremely expensive" $130 learning tool provides.

Regards
rbinc is offline Find More Posts by rbinc
Old Oct 03, 2008, 11:09 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
So basically both of you have no clue what the purpose of a forum is? The idea isn't just so that the person asking the question can get an answer, but so that future people reading it can learn from it too. Thus the reason forums have a search function.

Now this thread if it shows up in a search will be completely off topic and have nothing at all to do with 3 channel toy helicopters. Great job guys.

I'd also like to add that spending $20 to learn orientation and throttle control on a cheap 3ch toy would make the transition to a Lama far cheaper. In fact they could spend $20 on the 3ch then $60 on a Lama V3 and still be $40 cheaper than having bought an MCX ready to fly.

We can start a long drawn out argument here if you'd like, but extremely expensive is a subjective call. I consider the MCX to be just as much a toy as a 3ch. Someone else might consider my brushless to be nothing than a toy (my wife for instance). As I said originally the MCX appears to have major issues with servo gears stripping. Perhaps someone looking for a cheap 3ch toy wouldn't like the idea of spending $130 on something that they'll fly once and could damage to the point that it requires replacement of the entire circuit board.

Perhaps the same person looking for a cheap 3ch chopper has $40 to spend on a toy, but doesn't have $130 to spend on an MCX.

The question I'm sitting here pondering is exactly why on Earth I'm having to explain this to you? It should be common sense. Let's try in the future to keep things on topic and not pollute other people's threads with off topic replies (I know, I'm guilty of it too, but I've been trying to stay on topic more lately.)
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Oct 04, 2008, 08:07 AM
I fly ghetto stuff.
Greece
Joined Aug 2007
926 Posts
The Air Vortex worked for me, if you don't mind some tinkering out of the box.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881118

For the records, I got this after months of flying with the Lama V3, just to try it out. Well...it is flyable but one must be prepared to tinker with it somewhat. It has awesome climbing power, but it's only really controllable indoors, outdoors it's ever worse than a stock Lama.

Some shortcomings include a 4-in-1 without proportional settings, so both motors spin at the same exact rpm at zero trim which results in uncancelled torque due to the upper rotor flybar (I corrected this by using an Xtreme blade for the lower rotor and a Lama stock blade for the upper rotor). However yeah, don't expect to find ball bearings or anything...it's really toy grade, and the price difference with a model-grade, 4-channel coaxial is virtually inexistent.
Velktron is offline Find More Posts by Velktron
Last edited by Velktron; Oct 04, 2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 10:18 AM
United States, OR, Independence
Joined Feb 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
snip

Let's try in the future to keep things on topic and not pollute other people's threads with off topic replies (I know, I'm guilty of it too, but I've been trying to stay on topic more lately.)
I'll keep this on topic and won't even attack you.

These three channel helis are a huge waste of money. I don't believe there is one that is better than the other. I have had three of them and they all fell apart or burned a hole in the fuselage as the electronics went, and none of them lasted a month. I got a $20 one, a $35 one and a $45 one and they are all junk and in the trash. That's $100 wasted. I spent $150 on a used BCX2 in May and it is still flying and a lot of fun. I just plunked down $110 shipped for a BmCX, and will bet it lasts longer than a month. I don't care about parts costs and so on as long as it can be repaired, and the toy ones cannot unless you are really sharp.

But if I had to pick the best one of the junkers I would say get one with coax rotors and a horizontal tail rotor for fwd and rev flight, and don't spend over $35.
Bing44 is offline Find More Posts by Bing44
Old Oct 04, 2008, 10:53 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,480 Posts
I have an AirHogs Reflex and it's a perfectly acceptable fun toy. It just requires some minor mods. It's under $40.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:18 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
So basically both of you have no clue what the purpose of a forum is? The idea isn't just so that the person asking the question can get an answer, but so that future people reading it can learn from it too. Thus the reason forums have a search function.

Now this thread if it shows up in a search will be completely off topic and have nothing at all to do with 3 channel toy helicopters. Great job guys.

I'd also like to add that spending $20 to learn orientation and throttle control on a cheap 3ch toy would make the transition to a Lama far cheaper. In fact they could spend $20 on the 3ch then $60 on a Lama V3 and still be $40 cheaper than having bought an MCX ready to fly.

We can start a long drawn out argument here if you'd like, but extremely expensive is a subjective call. I consider the MCX to be just as much a toy as a 3ch. Someone else might consider my brushless to be nothing than a toy (my wife for instance). As I said originally the MCX appears to have major issues with servo gears stripping. Perhaps someone looking for a cheap 3ch toy wouldn't like the idea of spending $130 on something that they'll fly once and could damage to the point that it requires replacement of the entire circuit board.

Perhaps the same person looking for a cheap 3ch chopper has $40 to spend on a toy, but doesn't have $130 to spend on an MCX.

The question I'm sitting here pondering is exactly why on Earth I'm having to explain this to you? It should be common sense. Let's try in the future to keep things on topic and not pollute other people's threads with off topic replies (I know, I'm guilty of it too, but I've been trying to stay on topic more lately.)
Normally I would agree. But "Best micro 3ch heli?" is entirely subjective as we can see from the various helicopters suggested here. A search on this topic would invariably lead to more serching where each heli is discussed in detail, probably in its own thread and those interested could make a decision.

But I believe it is of value to mention the mCX as an alternative here. First, this was a poster that spent the time to learn, most likely, about their first helicopter and not an impulse buyer at WalMart. If $130 bucks (mentioned here) is out of the question, no matter what, then they will continue a search for a 3-ch. On the other hand, if they really want a helicopter that flies like a helicopter and want to learn to actually fly, the mCX is very attractive.

This is a new paradigm in a 4 ch helicopter that is so stable, small and rugged. There are no "major issues with servo gears stripping". I believe there is one post here about it and E-Flite is promptly sending him a new 5-in-1. Most here have detailed how they have repeatedly bounced the heli off of concrete and cinder block with no damage at all. I haven't crashed mine, but have three packs now and probably close to 80 flights with NO issues whatsoever.

Yes, it's "extremely expensive" when compared with a Havoc, but one gets so much more value with the mCX. The LHS will likely be able to let them demo and has parts and advice. The buyer gets a real 4 ch helicopter that, if instructions are followed, can do nothing more than hover and see what cyclic does while they learn orientation. With a 3-ch, he might spend the first ten packs getting it to hover or even fly correctly and then search on how to get it to fly forward with thumb tacks, weights and whatnot.

You need to get one of these to see what the fuss is all about. They fly better than the CX2 in a much smaller size with an exceptional rudder (which, when drifting, is probably the most difficult for a beginner).

There are those that will not buy one because of the price and only want a cheap 3-ch no matter what. There are also those that think they want a 3-ch but do their diligence and find the mCX is a better value for them.

As I said, I would normally agree, but a small, quiet, rugged 4ch coaxial that hovers perfectly out of the box for 130 bucks is a pretty good value compared to the issues of a 3-ch. If I was searching for the cheapest used subcompact, It would be beneficial to learn that there are cars out there that are exceptionally superior to the Yugo for not much more.

Regards
rbinc is offline Find More Posts by rbinc
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:29 PM
I fly ghetto stuff.
Greece
Joined Aug 2007
926 Posts
Not to mention that these helis have barely more "teaching value" compared to a 2 channel, and much less than a 4-channel. At least with even the crappiest 4-channel coax you can truly move in all directions and learn the basics of hovering, which you can't really do with any 2 or even 3-channel helis: being able to move only in two of the 4 horizontal directions truly can't compare to full cyclic contol, and so at best you get a hybrid behavior between a helicopter and a really slow flying plane, while really learning very little about either.

Just like the 2-channel helicopter, it's a flying contraption on its own, and the variations that can be found on the market are all seriously lacking in some aspect, with the first being the lack of model-grade offerings on the market, and even a lack of consistency on how the 3rd channel is used. You either get no lateral movement controls, no backwards controls to go with forward, and sometimes you don't even get forward/backwards controls (Nikko Sky Watcher...meh).
Velktron is offline Find More Posts by Velktron
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:55 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
Quote:
The best 3ch that I've personally seen is this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14126

For $20.50 you'll get your money's worth out of it before it stops being able to fly. Notice that you can buy 7 of these for the price of one MCX RTF.
yup, I've enjoyed those too, they fly much better then any of the Havoc/PiccoZs I've tried, this one you can actually controll where it goes....
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer