HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Have you ever encountered the Manufacturer Mafia on RcGroups
YES 49 74.24%
NO 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by Socomon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:47 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Poll
. . .

. . .
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Last edited by Socomon; Jul 20, 2010 at 07:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2008, 12:15 AM
Calif*
Joined Sep 2006
2,121 Posts
You think too much.
Jack Crossfire is offline Find More Posts by Jack Crossfire
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OpenCV rides again
Old Aug 06, 2008, 04:43 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Perhaps I should have called it "Manufacturer Terrorism" in your honor?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 09:30 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Nice write up, and very true for many manufacturers.
I'm annoyed by it as well. I punish them in my own creative ways when they do it. Fortunately there are some long time members on RCG that do stand up to them and call them out on their poor business practices.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:57 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Another example, this week

Wilhaney on the "Funny Pictures" thread received a warning for cross posting. And Showed Jim Graham about the "selective" enforcement for Moderators.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...84&postcount=1

Graham then sicked Jim Bourke on Wilhaney. Bourke responds by providing a Google map for "contacts" so that Wilhaney can see a Therapist.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...66&postcount=5

Wilhaney complains that Bouke made a "personal Attack" and Bourke assigns
a new infraction "For Being Wilhaney" and a "1000 point penalty" then permanently bans Wilhaney
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...07&postcount=7

If Graham and Bouke keep being so heavy handed and irrational (my opinion-have to include this, Big Brother may be watching) then the RCG will thin out, advertisers will leave and Bourke will have to give up his new radial thunder toy.
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Last edited by Holtenbacker; Aug 23, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:08 PM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Wow Seems childish for admins of their level to be posting such things.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:45 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
So far 70% yes and 30% no response to the poll question. I would say that confirms that this wasn't all just my imagination. I hope more forum members will vote to give a bigger sampling.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 04:33 PM
Calif*
Joined Sep 2006
2,121 Posts
In the name of ad revenue, any self respecting search engine (the Goog) promotes search results that try to sell products & demotes search results that contain negative information. People just emulate how the internet prioritizes information and have become very sales oriented. When search engines made money on their own banner ads and based search results on relevance, people were a lot more critical of products.
Jack Crossfire is offline Find More Posts by Jack Crossfire
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Aug 25, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Absolutely correct, the guys that show up instantly praising a product, well like you say, duh, shills for sure.

I for one will post experiences with any product, good, bad, or whatever.

Folks can make their own judgements on this stuff.
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:46 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
I did and was attacked about my abilities instead that something is wrong with the product. my posts were removed and I was assigned several warnings. Since, my posts were proved true. The product was assembled poorly at the factory.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:09 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Holtenbacker:

I rather suspect that particular product's days are numbered. What a dog that was.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:20 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
The Review Postings died shortly after Zup, posted what was really under the covering. I thought the product was dying until a new posting the other day and a new victum of the center wing failure.
Mike MacDougal (reviewer) doesn't have any more reviews for EZone in the "coming soon" either.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 08:24 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Socomon,

I completely agree with what you posted!

I was BANNED for 10 days because I pissed off a Paying Sponsor (one that works for the Sponsor) and all because I asked why the motor that he suggested was better than say the HOBBY CITY one that was 1/2 "Half" price from the one he was suggesting?

It went down hill from there....no only this person followed me everywhere I posted and reported me to the extent that I was BANNED for 10 day!

I agree with all that you observed!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Apr 01, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Yes, Carlos. Unfortunately your experience is not at all unique here. I think there has to be a better balance between the interests of the site sponsors and us, their paying customers.

Thankfully, they have at least let me have this venue (so-far) to express my concerns.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:02 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Sadly, in reference to the plane with the 'failed wing center section"... I of all people am VERY intiment with that plane... I have gone through 3 of them. I do not work for the company and I do love the plane, but I also have posted what I thought was wrong with it...adn wouldnt recommend it as a first balsa plane or even a second warbird.

I do agree that you have to be careful on who's products you talk bad about or you will get smacked. I got samcked for a off topic comment in a long thread but the 15 posts above me were all off topic (we were all talking hockey during last years playoffs) and I was the only one to get points...apprently my days of riding a center Chinesse company (that used to be in tiawan) caught up to me.

I am an admin on another forum that covers horizon planes...we are NOT sponsored or supported in any way by horizon and we currently dont sell ad space and the 3 of us that run it have agreed to only prevent personal attacks and crappy outside sales pitches (IE "nike shoes and Ipod" posts that we get here)

too bad that doesnt happen here.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale