SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2008, 05:28 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Build Log
Another T-rex 600e and Century MD500 TOW build thread (IAF Defender)

I had an opportunity to sell my trusty (100+ flights) TREX 600 / Thunder Tiger MD530 heli, and decided to build something even more scale. I couldn't pass up the MD500 TOW fuselage from Century/Funkey. For about $239 (unpainted) it's a steal, and very scale, with great details, proper TOW rocket launchers and sight. I won't be going into many build details, this combo has been covered in detail before. Basically, I relocated the elevator servo inside the carbon frame, and flipped the tail servo and moved it all the way forward.

More details cover here in my MD530 thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601956

Link to Century Helicopter:

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...prtnm=CN4042MD
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Jul 25, 2008 at 11:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:01 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
I will be painting the new MD500 is the Israeli Air Force scheme. Makes it easy to see in the air (unless you live in the desert ) and not seen very often.

I found a great website with detailed hi-res photos:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/is...rshman/md-500/
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:07 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
The base color is somewhat subjective; there are many pictures on the 'net. Some are "restored" MD500's some are sunwashed from being stored in an outdoor museum, and depending on your computer monitor...well, I took my best guess. This is the first time I have used latex (house) paint. It was an experiment for me, and I am happy with the results. I picked out a color at Lowe's and had one quart of interior flat latex mixed. I also bought a new Wagner HVLP sprayer for only $99. When I got home, and referenced my pictures, the paint was a bit too "green" So... I learned how to mix colors using a color wheel; and added some red and blue to get the proper shade. I also bought some Wagner "Paint Easy" which is basically a thinner for water-based latex paints.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:14 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
I was VERY impressed with the quality of the fuselage. The glass work is very light, smooth, and detailed. I have since found out that Funkey also manufactures jet kits for various companies. The only thing I did not like was the landing gear is plastic, and not exactly scale for my application. I did find pictures of MD500 with many different landing gear configurations. I decided not to make my own, because it just looked too time consuming. However, I did shorten the gear legs to get the correct "stance" on the ground. The rear was shortened 1" and the front by 1/2".
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:20 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
I wanted to add some rivets. The fuse already has panels, lines, etc. But I wanted more detail. I experimented by making 1mm adhesive-backed rivets using my vinyl plotter. They are cut in strips 12" long, and are easy and fast to apply. I chose a gold vinyl as it's the closest I have to the final color that will be painted, in case one gets chipped or scuffed. Plus, I have lots of gold vinyl I'm not using. I didn't go crazy with the rivets, mostly due to the size of the model.
I also added wire mesh vents in the doghouse and used thin fiberglass sheets to duplicate the half painted rear windows of the full scale. I scratch built a cable-cutter for the top window area using fiberglass sheet and 1/32" plywood.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:28 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
..And time to paint !!! I was lucky to get started early today and beat the afternoon thunderstorms. The HVLP sprayer worked good. I did notice it puts out quite a bit of air pressure; I had to tape down most of the parts to keep them from blowing off the table. The first coats were put on very light to avoid fisheyes. I suggest testing on a scrap piece first. I quickly got the sparyer and paint consistency figured out. You have to be careful to keep the coats light and thin; too heavy and you'll lose the rivet detail.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:31 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Nice Brad. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of the build. Something for me to do later on down the road. The Trex 600 is a nice bird.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:35 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Base color finished !!!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:42 PM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Brad what do you think about the Wagner painter? Can it spray light coats? Any spattering or clogging? It looks good in the pictures. But pictures don't always show everything you need to see.

Joe
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:23 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bomb
Brad what do you think about the Wagner painter? Can it spray light coats? Any spattering or clogging? It looks good in the pictures. But pictures don't always show everything you need to see.

Joe

Joe,

It worked good for the most part, but you don't have any control over the air pressure. I didn't have any clogging issues. It never spit either, but I did use a piece of screen to filter the paint before pouring it into the cup. It did seem like the paint wasn't atomizing that great, not like a spray can does. The paint seemed to come out in tiny dots or blotches. For a military/flat color it isn't very noticeable. When it was wet and glossy it didn;t look too good; once it started to dry it evened out. If you look at the close ups (check the lower left one) you can almost see the spots, or slight orange peel. Almost a slight "texture" I wouldn't blame it on the sprayer right away though; it may be I had the paint too thin or too thick. This sprayer is actually NOT recommended for Latex, only oil based paints/stains. The only adjustment to the mix is a dial on the trigger to adjust the volume of material going out. I had the nozzle almost closed. The last couple coats went on slightly more wet to give a smoother finish, but I was afraid to cover up the rivets so I had to spray it dry. I have previously used a single action airbrush with Tamiya acrylics and got a great smooth finish..however I really think it may be the paint. I wish I could buy Tamiya acrylics by the gallon!! I would like to try those paints in the Wagner HVLP. This is also my first time spraying Latex. I am overall very happy with the results on this project, and will be spraying my large A-10 with gray latex using this setup. I would really prefer a way to lower the air pressure for spraying light coats. Maybe I'll experiment with a valve in-line with the hose. The pressure felt too high to me, after using my single action airbrush for the last couple years.
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Jul 25, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:37 PM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Thanks Brad. It's looking great so far and I could see myself flying many sorties with it. I worked on TOW missiles(launchers) when I was in the military. Please take a lot of pics when you start to put the heli in. I think this is gonna be a awesome bird and I wish I could see it in person after you're done.

Maybe you could put some bottle rockets in the launchers! That would be just too cool, but AMA would frown.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:49 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bomb
Thanks Brad. It's looking great so far and I could see myself flying many sorties with it. I worked on TOW missiles(launchers) when I was in the military. Please take a lot of pics when you start to put the heli in. I think this is gonna be a awesome bird and I wish I could see it in person after you're done.

Maybe you could put some bottle rockets in the launchers! That would be just too cool, but AMA would frown.

Just for the record, I did fit and test fly the mechanics last week to make sure everything was good, I just forgot to take pictures !!

Do you happen to know what color the TOW missiles were? I'm thinking white? The kit includes dummy TOW missile heads, but I am going to add a tube for the body as well, since it can be seen inside the launcher.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleBrad
Just for the record, I did fit and test fly the mechanics last week to make sure everything was good, I just forgot to take pictures !!

Do you happen to know what color the TOW missiles were? I'm thinking white? The kit includes dummy TOW missile heads, but I am going to add a tube for the body as well, since it can be seen inside the launcher.
There where many variations to the TOW missle. When I was in they just came out with the TOW 2's. If I remember right they where bare aluminum for the most part.

Of all the TOWs I saw they where always sealed in the tube. You could never see them until they where fired and broke through the front of the tube. The rocket motors fire diagonally from the side and they make one hell of a noise. The wire spools from the rear of the missile as it flies and the gunner just keeps the cross hairs on the target.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:10 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Thanks!!

I'll just go with silver.

I'm itching to get the rest of the heli assembled (only takes about 30 minutes) but I have to wait until I get the markings taped off and painted tomorrow.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:52 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
TOW missile launchers assembled and ready to mount. They come with a really neat scale-like mounting system, and also a quick-release mount. Panels and lines come molded in the glass work along with sunk rivets, the concave rivets are the vinyl ones I added.