HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2003, 04:07 PM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
Flawless GWS P-51 maiden :-)

If I do say so myself! It flew beautifully and was almost perfectly trimmed. Details:

17.25 oz AUW
CG .75" in front of spar
stock motor, gearing
8XAAA 700Mah NiMh HOC (2 minutes to my backyard)
9x6 GWS prop
No gear

Hand launch level, decent climb rate, did circuits till my TX's 4 min timer beeped, then brought it into the thick grass of my back yard. Stopped DEAD as soon as it hit the ground, probly a bit hot since I was worried bout a tip-stall.

Nice day here in WI with a 5-8mph breeze and 35 degrees. Batt is on the charger now and I'll be going out again!

I now have some confidence back after my bad experience with maiden of NES "Phat Larry". But she is back together and is next.
E-Pylet is offline Find More Posts by E-Pylet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2003, 04:08 PM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
One more thing: I set throws to recommended but set dual rates on all surfaces to 70% which was what I was using. It was docile with these throws- exactly as I wanted it.
Old Feb 02, 2003, 11:11 AM
Fort Collins, CO.
Joined Sep 2002
457 Posts
hey E-PYLET, congrats on your p-51d maiden.

I have the first 6 flights on mine now and all but today were just great.
today was a more gusty wind than normal, 8-12 mph and I had also moved my cg back from 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch, man was that flight scary...put cg back and will wait till wind calms down, maybe by late afternoon... I am using heavy battery pack 8 cell AA NIMH, AUW IS 20OZ, still flies great and lands good too...I think having a bricked 8 cell helps with the CG.. I cut out battery slot so it sits on the wing.....also noticed you are from WI, I grew up in Eau Claire, and have since moved to Noth Carolina. glad too, its going to be in the sixties for next 3 days here. ha ha ...had to throw that in....anyway good luck on future flights....scott.
flybye is offline Find More Posts by flybye
Old Feb 02, 2003, 12:31 PM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
I had to knock on the wood, didn't I? Third flight today- went fine until I hit the house on final.

Yes, I'm serious. I think I may have some problem with depth-perception, or maybe everyone does in this hobby. The only time I ever crashed my glow trainer was hitting trees- twice- and both times I *thought* I was well clear.

I fly in my backyard. I launch standing atop the mound (septic) system which is exactly 50 yards from the house. I was trying to land as I did before between me and the house. I thought everything was just fine- then, no plane, big "thwack", feel sick.

Only damage: I destroyed the gearbox. The pieces fell out in my hand. But, I had prepared for this, and had a whole spare eps-300c system on hand! Stuck a screwdriver through the foam to unscrew the motor assy from the mount and replaced the whole thing, just like that. Crashed maybe and hour ago and it's already good as new!

I think I am hooked on these little GWS foam things. I love it. Hit a friggin' house at 25 mph and it's $15, back in the air.

I may fly it again today, though it's windier than yesterday, foggy, and misting right now.
Old Feb 02, 2003, 02:03 PM
Inbox is almost full
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2002
1,679 Posts
lol, thats funny.

Try a larger field.

Congrats on your maiden though.
LESLIEx317537 is offline Find More Posts by LESLIEx317537
Old Feb 02, 2003, 10:10 PM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
Did fly again today. Was much windier. Would estimate gusts to 15mph. As usual, didn't seem like it till I got out there. Was also foggy/hazy. After some deliberation I gave it a toss and had another decent, 5-minute flight. (Since I have no battery discharger or other equip. I really don't know how much juice I have left after these flights.. I know I could get more than 5 min but have just been quitting there because I don't want the LVC to kick in.. it does drop fast with no power all right.) Since it was almost 5 PM and getting darK I only had time for one. I'll be getting a lot of use out of this little baby, though.

I am really pleased with this plane. Flies great, easy to repair, cheap. I will be getting more of these GWS foamies for sure.
Old Feb 02, 2003, 10:37 PM
Catskill Mountains
Joined Feb 2002
100 Posts
I just finished my P-51 this afternoon. Just curious, how fast does this thing fly? Is it as fast as the partenavia? Thats the fastes plane I have so I'm curious if anyone can make this comparison for me.
ratman is offline Find More Posts by ratman
Old Feb 02, 2003, 11:40 PM
Joined May 2002
61 Posts
e-pylet where abouts do you fly? im just outside menomonee falls and just waiting for some half way nice weather to take my p-51 out for its first. you got some big nads to go out today windy&foggy...
craig w reese is offline Find More Posts by craig w reese
Old Feb 02, 2003, 11:50 PM
Joined May 2002
61 Posts
and my pilot waits for weather....
craig w reese is offline Find More Posts by craig w reese
Old Feb 03, 2003, 03:54 PM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by craig w reese
e-pylet where abouts do you fly? im just outside menomonee falls and just waiting for some half way nice weather to take my p-51 out for its first. you got some big nads to go out today windy&foggy...
Thanks for the compliment. If your stang looked like mine does already you'd probably be a little less worried about crashing, too.

I am in Raymond, in racine county. Probably 45 minutes from you.