HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2008, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2008
22 Posts
Discussion
DXG-567 Video Sample

I recently purchased a DXG-567 hd camera which is similar to the flip. It's a device about the size (and look) of an ipod. Briefly, the specs are
  • 1280x720 mov format at 4mbits/sec (30 megabytes / minute).
  • 3oz with no batteries (2-AA). Mine is 150g (5.3oz) with batteries.
  • will store one full hour of hd video on a 2GB SD card.
  • priced about $130 shipped.
I attached it to my Stevens Aero SoarStik today and recorded a flight. I didn't quite get the angle right so the most smooth portions are spent looking at the ground. I cut a 30 second clip and uploaded it to vimeo. It's enough to get an idea of the quality.

here
If you have a Vimeo account, you can download the original.

My thoughts on the camera so far...
  • The quality is good for a camera the size of an ipod. I have seen video from point and shoot cameras that far surpasses the quality of the dxg, but they are currently more expensive.
  • One hour on an inexpensive 2GB SD card is impressive. Although on more than one occasion (including flight today) the camerea shut down without warning. I replaced the batteries with 100% fully charged and it records the full hour, so no half charged or low mAh batteries.
  • There is no stabilization. While this may not sound like a big deal, when you encode compressed video without stabilization you sometimes get a warbly video. I'm sure you've seen this in other AP movies. But it's most noticable when the camera is used handheld. I'm still trying to find a stabilization filter that will deal with this video properly (smoothcam doesn't work for this).
  • The screen sucks, but a better screen wouldn't be much help really.
  • High motion video can look overly compressed. Low light video is grainy.
  • You can plug the camera into an hdtv (or sd tv) via component video and audio cables, included.
  • It comes with 2-AA and charger. The 2300mAh batteries might last a full hour.
leobaby is offline Find More Posts by leobaby
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2008, 09:45 PM
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
356 Posts
I had a different DXG model that I was using for video as well and it was shutting down for no reason as well...very frustrating when you fly and awesome flight only to have no video!!!

PS
SpinningInPres is offline Find More Posts by SpinningInPres
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:49 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Looks good.
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:27 AM
Joined Jan 2008
22 Posts
Got one more today. Mounted the camera upside down so I could get a higher angle. (still need to raise the prop) - which means the video is re-encoded; but the quality is still decent. One more nicer still rendering.

enjoy
Here's the vimeo.
leobaby is offline Find More Posts by leobaby
Last edited by leobaby; Jul 26, 2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 07:09 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
leobaby

Try mounting it facing to the side and about a 45 degree down angle. Then film like that. Just try that next and see what you think. Your video looked good.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb