HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2003, 01:20 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
Slow Stick Twin

I saw RMason's picture in the "will it hover" thread and I had to build one. I flew it with 300C's with D gearboxes/1147 props and a single 9x1100 Hecell pack. Performance is pretty close to the Hacker setup. I just rubber banded two sticks to the wings (filed a groove in the trailing edge end to help retain the stick and give a little downthrust). Made a quick wire harness and went out and flew it. No more than 20 minutes actual time spent on it. I need to add some wood to the leading edge section of the stick to stabilize it because the motors tend to torque the sticks over on startup. If you want Hacker performance for a tenth the price then give this a try
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2003, 02:06 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,332 Posts
Joe, that thing was awesome. I don't recall if you got vertical performance out of it or not. I thought it was rather interesting, though. It sure powered itself around!

Nick

EDIT: Lite Stik on the operating table. Might make it tomorrow (provided there's no wind or a lack of good judgement on my part )!
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Last edited by KnifeEdge51; Feb 01, 2003 at 02:09 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2003, 02:29 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,, Gosh darn Joe, your going to make me drive all the over to dnd tomorrow to see that thing????

whats the bottom look like? any close ups??
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Feb 01, 2003, 02:41 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,332 Posts
Rip, it's worth it. Next he'll want to make a Ford Tri-motor look alike.

Nick
Old Feb 01, 2003, 02:51 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
Nick, oh it does vertical all right! Almost as well as the Hacker. I did think about a tri-motor....for about three seconds
What do you mean might make it? Get busy on that thing. Steal parts from your dad's if you have to. You and the plane both were flying great Thursday night.

Kenny, here is the underside shot. I told you it was simple. I'll have the forward end of the motor stick better stabilized for tomorrow. If you're comin' out then bring your Switchback. I'll have mine there with the Hacker in it.
Old Feb 01, 2003, 03:03 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
ALRIGHT JOE!!!!!!!!

Fun huh?

I added some styrofoam between the stick and wing and CA'd it to stabilize the sticks. I don't need the rubber bands anymore.

I also tried it as a trimotor once. It was nuts. I mainly fly the twin wing on my Bipe Slow Stick. 10-1100 HeCells and unlimited vertical. 26oz AUW and over 32 oz thrust

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Feb 01, 2003, 04:07 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
Rob, I'll stick with the rubber bands for now just to keep this thing so versatile. The tri-motor idea was just way too insane. Even more insane was the VERY short lived thought of both Hackers on it. I'm thinking about setting up one of my 2400mah car packs on it. Pretty heavy but I'm sure it can handle it. I've been toying with the idea of trike gear with a steerable nose wheel. This plane is just too awesome. So many things you can do with it. Hard to believe it's only $35.00.
Old Feb 01, 2003, 04:18 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
I'm gonna make one too, already had all the parts except the sticks and connectors. I'm wondering about the props. A twin should have twice the pull of a single correct? So prop wise you would need less thrust so you could prop higher but you proped lower correct? 11/ 4.7 instead of 11/ 8 is less speed and more thrust correct? I'm confused.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Feb 01, 2003, 05:24 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
Dude. Don't be confused I used 1147's because that's what I had a good pair of. No other reason. I'm sure 1070's would work fine as well. Nothing and I mean NOTHING about this is scientific. It was just plain slapped together
Old Feb 01, 2003, 05:31 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Heck, I've got 12X6's on mine. Much more thrust than the 11X8 or 11X4.7's.

I have to use 1100 HeCells on it to handle the amp draw. My 800 5/4 AAA NiMH's would fly it, but the 1100's gave it much more power. I have flown it with both 8 and 10 cells.

Rob
Old Feb 01, 2003, 05:39 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
I didn't even consider 1260's. I didn't want to watch it shred the wing in flight. With those props it's probably more wicked than my Hacker setup
Old Feb 01, 2003, 05:45 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
I use 12X6's on all my slow sticks. Also on my DR.1 with the same gearbox. The 11X8's pitch is wasted on such a draggy airframe. The 12X6 is well matched to the SS. I got much better climb and no loss of speed.

On my DR.1, there is no speed difference between 1/2 and full power. Just more noise.

Here,s a picture of the Bipe

Rob
Old Feb 01, 2003, 05:54 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
The guys in the white coats are gonna come and lock us away....................
Old Feb 01, 2003, 06:17 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
They're coming to take me away!!!!!

How about this - 3 sets modified Pico Stick wings, blucore foam fuse and tail, and the power system out of the Slow Stick = Fokker DR.1

Rob
Old Feb 01, 2003, 09:48 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,332 Posts
Whoa, some of you guys are way out of hand!

Joe, we might be going down to Case Grande tomorrow to visit our grandfolks. So I'm not sure I'll be there. But it (the Stik) is pretty near finished. I really just need to check the CG and plug everything up. I never really liked foam (I'm a builder), but I'm liking how easy this thing was to fix up.

Nick