SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2008, 09:28 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
You put the nacelle parts on upside down!

Looks nice though!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2008, 10:50 AM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Thanks SGTalon for the plans!
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Oct 02, 2008, 12:54 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
I am a little concerned about the problem i had with it rolling on it's back and staying that way.

I have not built it with the redesign yet but the way you have it, with the anhedral on the upper nacelle piece i looks like it might want to roll over.

The nice thing about the design is that if you do get in that position and can't get out just cut the power. It tends to fall flat and slow. Twice i took it all the way to the ground like that.

I forget where my CG ended up off the top of my head, I will have to measure it when i get home. But i know i put the battery almost at the nose. I have extended the nose on these plans too.

Also make sure you have the back control surfaces as Elevons. You NEED it

I like how it worked out with the Phlat Printer though. You going to share the codez with all the other Phlat-Bros?
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:25 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
I am a little concerned about the problem i had with it rolling on it's back and staying that way.

I have not built it with the redesign yet but the way you have it, with the anhedral on the upper nacelle piece i looks like it might want to roll over.

The nice thing about the design is that if you do get in that position and can't get out just cut the power. It tends to fall flat and slow. Twice i took it all the way to the ground like that.

I forget where my CG ended up off the top of my head, I will have to measure it when i get home. But i know i put the battery almost at the nose. I have extended the nose on these plans too.

Also make sure you have the back control surfaces as Elevons. You NEED it

I like how it worked out with the Phlat Printer though. You going to share the codez with all the other Phlat-Bros?
Thanks SGTalon!

My hope is that there is little interaction between the nacelles and the main lifting body so I hope that the anhedral will not come into play. If she doesn't play nice I'll Break the nacelles free and re-glue them with polyhedral or I'll just put a gyro on the roll channel.

I'll setup the tail as elevon as well. I was going to set it up as dual elevator servo and leave the other 4 control surfaces as ailerons and spoilerons. Now I've got to figure out all the mixing in the DX7....

I am getting a new motor to power this bad boy. Looking at a Hacker!

Yes I posted the code already.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 03:21 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
I had a hard time figuring out the mixing on my XP652.

Basically what i ended up doing is setting up the Elevons first with the standard Elevon/Delta mix in the radio. THen i added the Ailerons to another channel with a Y-Splitter that was slaved to the aileron channel with 100% mix.

Works great.

One of the problems with the Ailerons on the nacelles is at low speed they are not very effective. This is why i increased the size of the tail surfaces by about 75%. THey are right in the slip stream too so it should really help a lot.

I don't know when i will be having time to put together the new version. You may have yours flying before i get version 2 up.
Old Feb 08, 2009, 12:28 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Mine rolled on its back as well when I throttle down. With thrust it flies "OK". I've added more vertical surface to the tail and will try again as soon as the rain lets up.

My kids call it the turtle plane....does kinda look like a turtle in the air.