HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2008, 07:25 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
The minute that i have the successful video posted i will post the plans for it

Should be tomorrow!!! Got another couple pieces drying right now.

Did you buy a Phlat Printer? Seems like that thing is going crazy!

I was checking with some people I know and it seems to me that you can probably get a plane cut by a pro for pretty cheap. I am going to start looking into it. With all these planes i have to build, cutting seems like the hardest part.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2008, 07:45 PM
If it flys,I can crash it
USA, AL, Fairhope
Joined Jul 2007
783 Posts
Yea, I went ahead and bought one. I hate cutting foam simply as I never seem to make it come out right. This will solve that problem anyway.

Tony
cptdragn is offline Find More Posts by cptdragn
Old Sep 05, 2008, 10:52 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdragn
Yea, I went ahead and bought one. I hate cutting foam simply as I never seem to make it come out right. This will solve that problem anyway.

Tony
Are you sure you have enough foam??
nstaller is offline Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Sep 05, 2008, 11:44 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
When are we going to see a video of your SD flying Capt? All that nice paint and no video!
Old Sep 06, 2008, 02:11 AM
USA, AL, Fairhope
Joined Jul 2007
783 Posts
I'd like to say soon but even that is up in the air. Between overtime at work and been battling one illness after another for about a month. I haven't even walked into my shop in two weeks. I hope to have it done soon though. I want to see it fly as well as get that video of mine and Installers in formation.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 02:11 AM
USA, AL, Fairhope
Joined Jul 2007
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaller
Are you sure you have enough foam??
Yep... Two or three bundles anyway

Tony
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:32 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
Maiden Flight!!!

I got in some flying with the Defiant today! And it flew ok... well it flew but i need more control.

I am having a hard time with my computer radio. I can't seem to figure out how to mix all my controls together.

I need to mix the aileron and elevons somehow. I want my Elevators to be linked to the ailerons so they act like elevons. I have a seperate servo on each control surface but no matter how i played with it. I can't get the darn thing to mix right.

Anyone have experience programming a JR XP652?

Anyhow, here are the pics and a video!!!

Once i am sure that I can make it fly reliably I will post the plans.

RC Star Trek - Defiant Foamie Maiden Flight (2 min 8 sec)
Last edited by SGTalon; Sep 26, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:40 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Video?

I think it's just not processed in Utube yet,,,,,
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Last edited by thewz; Sep 06, 2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:48 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
So you have Each Aileron servo on a seperate channel (dual aileron setup). So you have each elevator on a seperate channel too or are you using a "Y" harness? I have to assume that you have everything on a seperate channel.

To get an extra elevator input on my DX6i I use the cannards on the rudder channel and mix Elevator to Rudder. This gives me Elevons and another channel for an additional pitch servo.

You would have to use 2 mixes...if it can do it. Elevator to L Aileron and Elevator to R Aileron
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:52 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
When i did the aileron to Left it only moved in one direction. Basically it only went up not down.

I am sure there is a way to do it. I am just not sure how to do it. If i have to i will pull my dedicated elevon mixer out of the Imperial Star Destroyer to get it going. I was just hoping not to.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:57 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
check your endpoint adjustments, I had the same problem on my SD
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:57 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
btw, looks good cant wait to build one
Old Sep 07, 2008, 01:16 AM
USA, AL, Fairhope
Joined Jul 2007
783 Posts
or two
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:33 AM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
OK guys, I added the plans now.

I figured out how to get the darn mixing to work.... i basically made the plane an elevon with the back then added the ailerons as a seperate channel and mixed it 100% with my Aileron channel. It works great now.

I had some trouble with the flight characteristics of this thing. Well 2 problems.

THe first problem is the Ailerons were not very responsive at slower speeds. Even with the Elevon setup on the back it was hard to get this thing to roll very well.

The second problem was it was not very stable in the upright position. It kept wanting to roll over on it's back!!! With the lack of aileron i couldn't get it to come back. It would just go into an inverted flat spin and head out to sea... kinda like Maverick and Goose!!! Luckily i never lost my RIO. hahahaha

SO i have re-designed it. Made the nose a bit longer, added a vertical stabilizer, and moved the nacelles up higher so they are centered on the main Horizontal instead of hanging down below.

It flies ok as it is now. So i am not too worried about it until it turns upside down. The vertical and the moving the nacelles up should help. I also made the back end a lot wider so there is more control surface on the elevons.

I will get the CG after i build it. I am guessing it will be about an inch ahead of the nacelles though.

Have fun Nstaller and Kwinters
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:28 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
PhlatPrinter GCode cutout Defiant!

I converted your PDF plans to Raster and then drew the Vector ontop then used the Sketchup Phlatboyz G-Code plugin to convert it to CNC files. Here is the result! I plan to install the electronics later in the week and fly this weekend.