HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:21 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Help!
Quick Q: How do I mount this Park480 on my GWS-40? or: $20 shine on $3 pair of boots!

The guy at the hobby shop told me "good luck" when I said that I wanted to stick-mount an Eflite Park480 outrunner...

So are there other options that would place the motor far enough out to clear the cowl on the GWS-40? Has anyone done it?

The motor should be a blast in the GWS Warhawk if only I can get it mounted! It doesn't bother me that this is a $40 chunk of foam with a $70 motor. I like the way these GWS 'Birds go together.

Also, I am planning on making a balsa backing plate that would go behind the prop to glue the spinner cone on to...has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks for any insight.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:28 AM
geordie land,uk
Joined Nov 2005
893 Posts
I've tried the balsa backing plate and it worked fine, I just used UHU-POR so I could easily remove it if need be.

Simon.
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:16 AM
I work to Fly
Lethbridge Alberta Canada
Joined Sep 2005
130 Posts
I would try to make a light ply fire wall as the park 480 has a ton of torque I'm sure it would rip the stick mount right out of the plane. do a quick search on the ultrafly p-40 thats t is in theirs and it's plenty strong enough.
savageone is offline Find More Posts by savageone
Old Jul 24, 2008, 09:44 AM
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
The guy at the hobby shop told me "good luck" when I said that I wanted to stick-mount an Eflite Park480 outrunner...

So are there other options that would place the motor far enough out to clear the cowl on the GWS-40? Has anyone done it?

The motor should be a blast in the GWS Warhawk if only I can get it mounted! It doesn't bother me that this is a $40 chunk of foam with a $70 motor. I like the way these GWS 'Birds go together.

Also, I am planning on making a balsa backing plate that would go behind the prop to glue the spinner cone on to...has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks for any insight.

The GWS40 has 2 stick mount holes. The bottom hole is aligned for the GWS motors using their mount, the top hole is aligned for the outrunners. I have the 480 in my gws40 and just glued the stick inplace, cut it down to the appropriate length, and mounted the motor as usual. Not a big issue at all.
jismail is offline Find More Posts by jismail
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:56 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Why would he say good luck? I use a stick mount on my E-flight P47 with a Park 480 and have never had any problems.
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:49 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
savageone, thanks... I was looking into how the Ultrafly kit went together... until I saw jismail's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail
The GWS40 has 2 stick mount holes. The bottom hole is aligned for the GWS motors using their mount, the top hole is aligned for the outrunners. I have the 480 in my gws40 and just glued the stick inplace, cut it down to the appropriate length, and mounted the motor as usual. Not a big issue at all.
Nice! I love simple solutions.

And it doesn't torque out of place? Excellent... I have a GWS mount sitting around. I will try this when I get home.

Simonslim, glad to hear the back plate works! Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:50 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot glue
Why would he say good luck? I use a stick mount on my E-flight P47 with a Park 480 and have never had any problems.

I guess he thought it wouldn't fit in the mount or that it would torque the stick out of the fuse.

Either way, he didn't think it would work. Per usual, it was too busy to get more than a couple word answer.. those guys are swamped... but they do the best they can.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:53 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Jismail,

How does the GWS-40 fly with the Park 480? Which prop did you go with?

I will probably run the stock 3 blade at first but I want to eventually move up to a 10x8 for some more speed...
Old Jul 24, 2008, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Jismail,

How does the GWS-40 fly with the Park 480? Which prop did you go with?

I will probably run the stock 3 blade at first but I want to eventually move up to a 10x8 for some more speed...
My first attempt was with a 11x7 cause I thought the spinner size limited the thrust to much. I burned up the ESC doing that (to much amp draw I guess) The second attempt was with a cheap LHS 10x8 and I hade issues with prop balance losening the stick. My last attempt was with a higher quality 10" Master prop (I can't recall if it is 10x6 or 10x8 and I can't verify without pulling the spinner) and it did the trick. Just be easy on the throttle and ramp it up to full RPM soothly.

here is a picture with the Master prop and Du-Bro spinner.
Last edited by jismail; Jul 24, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:43 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
That spinner looks like a perfect fit. You don't happen to have the DuBro part number do you?
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:10 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail
My first attempt was with a 11x7 cause I thought the spinner size limited the thrust to much. I burned up the ESC doing that (to much amp draw I guess) The second attempt was with a cheap LHS 10x8 and I hade issues with prop balance losening the stick. My last attempt was with a higher quality 10" Master prop (I can't recall if it is 10x6 or 10x8 and I can't verify without pulling the spinner) and it did the trick. Just be easy on the throttle and ramp it up to full RPM soothly.

here is a picture with the Master prop and Du-Bro spinner.
Whoa.. what was the rating on the ESC you burned up?

Scary though. I will stick with the 10x6 until I can check with a watt meter.

The 3" DuBro spinner does look good... but IIRC its really heavy, no? I saw one at the LHS (only had black and white) and it seemed better suited to nitro planes... unless you have a different model there?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:19 AM
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Whoa.. what was the rating on the ESC you burned up?

Scary though. I will stick with the 10x6 until I can check with a watt meter.

The 3" DuBro spinner does look good... but IIRC its really heavy, no? I saw one at the LHS (only had black and white) and it seemed better suited to nitro planes... unless you have a different model there?
It is heavy. I had to add weight to the tail to offset it. But the 480 has more than enough power to pull it up with the added weight.