Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:07 PM
Adam
brier, wa
Joined Jul 2008
113 Posts
Question
Brushless Airplane motor in an rc car

ive noteced Brushless airplane motors and ESCs are alot cheaper then car ones

has any one heard of or put a Brushless airplane motor and esc in there car?
did it work?
which ones did you use?
adamak46 is offline Find More Posts by adamak46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:47 PM
I like boats
Brisbane Qld Australia
Joined Jun 2006
573 Posts
Depends on the type of brushless motor you speak of. If you are talking about outrunner style motors then yes they are cheaper however they probably wouldn't go very well in a car. 1 reason that I can think of right now....
The KV of car motors say a touring car for instance start at around 3600 for a nice mild system, to get an outrunner in a 540 size to do that many rpm would be very hard. Most of the larger outrunners turn a lot more slowly per volt, they are designed for torque and in an airplane application, allow you to swing a big prop off it. Unless you wanted to climb hills in your tourer than it probably isn't the motor for you.
Brushess aircraft escs have no reverse also.

Having said that though, you can use them in rock crawlers successfully because they are all about torque and don't need any speed hence a much slower turning motor.
Deestingray is offline Find More Posts by Deestingray
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:01 AM
Adam
brier, wa
Joined Jul 2008
113 Posts
thanks

i dont know much about airplane motors

thanks much
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:47 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,397 Posts
i put a ultrafly 29 kv ,with heli max 25 amp esc in my a&e rc18r,it went about 40 mph explosive acceleration,the only draw back was no reverse and i had to use my 4 ch plane radio to control the car,because plane esc's, your throttle stick has to be all the way back,so if you used your car radio you would have to hold your throttle stick in reverse before you turned the car on,also no brakes.
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
Old Jul 24, 2008, 01:02 AM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Car motors are typically 540 size inrunners. Alot of airplanes also use 540 size inrunners. Doesn't matter if its for a plane or a car. Alot of rc car guys don't know that they can get these motors for less than $20.

You can use plane speed controllers if you don't need reverse. You can use your normal transmitter if you program it right. They work great and you can get them for $15-$40 depending on the size of your car and how fast you want to go.
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Jul 24, 2008, 01:08 AM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
double post
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
Adam
brier, wa
Joined Jul 2008
113 Posts
well i was kind of thinking of buying a plane motor and car esc

would that work?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 03:41 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
check out EZ Run motors and esc's
smart_racer is offline Find More Posts by smart_racer
Old Jul 24, 2008, 05:03 PM
I like boats
Brisbane Qld Australia
Joined Jun 2006
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamak46
well i was kind of thinking of buying a plane motor and car esc

would that work?
If you are talking a garden variety car esc then no, it won't work. Brushless motors work differently to brushed. On a brushed motor you have 2 wires, on a brushless you have 3. You could go to www.r2hobbies.com they sell complete brushless systems for cars at a great price. They also sell reversable brushless escs at a pretty decent price also.
There are many inrunners that are available at a great price as TheTick has mentioned, you want a 540 size. For some pretty good speed, look for something around the 4000kv mark if you are going to run it on a stick pack. If you want to go to lipo however, you can run something like a 3S lipo, 11.1 volts. You will notice a huge increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotit
i put a ultrafly 29 kv ,with heli max 25 amp esc in my a&e rc18r,it went about 40 mph explosive acceleration,the only draw back was no reverse and i had to use my 4 ch plane radio to control the car,because plane esc's, your throttle stick has to be all the way back,so if you used your car radio you would have to hold your throttle stick in reverse before you turned the car on,also no brakes.
If you can put up with no reverse and still want to use your aircraft esc in a car with a pistol radio, there is a product available that tells the speed controller to arm with the throttle position on the pistol transmitter. It is called a pistix and the only place I know of it available is at www.offshoreelectrics.com
I use an aircraft esc with a pistol transmitter in my boat and it works a treat.
Deestingray is offline Find More Posts by Deestingray
Old Jul 24, 2008, 05:04 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
There is no difference between a plane motor and a car motor. A 540 inrunner is a 540 inrunner.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:50 PM
Adam
brier, wa
Joined Jul 2008
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deestingray
If you are talking a garden variety car esc then no, it won't work. Brushless motors work differently to brushed. On a brushed motor you have 2 wires, on a brushless you have 3. You could go to www.r2hobbies.com they sell complete brushless systems for cars at a great price. They also sell reversable brushless escs at a pretty decent price also.
There are many inrunners that are available at a great price as TheTick has mentioned, you want a 540 size. For some pretty good speed, look for something around the 4000kv mark if you are going to run it on a stick pack. If you want to go to lipo however, you can run something like a 3S lipo, 11.1 volts. You will notice a huge increase.

If you can put up with no reverse and still want to use your aircraft esc in a car with a pistol radio, there is a product available that tells the speed controller to arm with the throttle position on the pistol transmitter. It is called a pistix and the only place I know of it available is at www.offshoreelectrics.com
I use an aircraft esc with a pistol transmitter in my boat and it works a treat.
ok thanks
Old Oct 27, 2009, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2006
108 Posts
Sorry to bump such an extremely old thread, but I have a question related to this-

How do you determine how many amps the motor will draw when put in a car? I have a 3500kv inrunner I was using in an old plane, and a 40 amp esc. Would I be able to move this over to one of my cars?
7ender is offline Find More Posts by 7ender
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:05 AM
Joined Sep 2007
55 Posts
i worked to reprog airplane esc for working in car

i can reprog many atmega8 esc like mystery hobbyking towerpro 40 to 200A 2 to 6 cell

i'm testing it in racing 1/10 4wd B44 and working fine

i have lipo auto cutoff and throtle ajust

work very good with ezrun mamba feigao motor inruner
dgaumond is offline Find More Posts by dgaumond
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:15 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,263 Posts
The only problem I can see with using a plane motor is that they are not sealed up at all. They are designed to let air into them and in a car this means dirt too.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
hi guys, i have tried this stuff(connecting a heli motor to rc cars) few days ago, this is the cheaper way of getting a car motor. i think that it should work but only if u r using a rc car esc. the mistake that i made was, i used a heli esc which only allowed me to run my brushless only in 1 direction. this will give u full throttle but no change in direction.

hope u'll succeed in ur project.....my wishes to u.......
gannusingh is offline Find More Posts by gannusingh