HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2003, 12:53 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
MS Composit SWIFT Building and flying thread!

Hi All,
I have recently received one of these kits and just absolutely love flying it. I am interested in seeing what others are doing. I have posted some pictures of my own MS COMPOSIT SWIFT on my web site. Currently it is all stock. This should give us a good starting point. Please post your pictures and any tips about this kit here. I will shoot a video of it flying soon.

-gerald

Click here to see my pictures.
gbagley is offline Find More Posts by gbagley
Last edited by gbagley; Feb 01, 2003 at 01:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2003, 12:55 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
My SWIFT Picture this is the OLD BIGGER KIT

This is the OLDER BIGGER Kit. I do not stock these any longer. However, I have many of the NEW SMALLER FASTER MS-11000 kits.

Last edited by gbagley; May 04, 2003 at 12:21 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2003, 11:38 AM
Toronto
Joined Oct 2002
13 Posts
Love Mine!

Once again, I can't stress enough how much I love my swift! Easy to Fly, lots of fun and I can fly in a small part without a tree jumping out in front of it!
helicoool is offline Find More Posts by helicoool
Old Feb 01, 2003, 12:28 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
Here is my Swift which I love to fly. I moved the servos to the top of the wing so they are out of the way on landing. I hand wore out one gearbox I have flown it so much.
It is amazing out this wing as stood up to all my crashes learning to fly the wing. My first plane was a TM hence I am still learning to fly.
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Old Feb 01, 2003, 01:38 PM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
So far I have stripped one Pico-STD servo. This was done on a landing. My next SWIFT will have servos up top.

-gerald

Quote:
Originally posted by bobf
Here is my Swift which I love to fly. I moved the servos to the top of the wing so they are out of the way on landing. I hand wore out one gearbox I have flown it so much.
It is amazing out this wing as stood up to all my crashes learning to fly the wing. My first plane was a TM hence I am still learning to fly.
Old Feb 01, 2003, 01:58 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gbagley
So far I have stripped one Pico-STD servo. This was done on a landing. My next SWIFT will have servos up top.

-gerald
It interesting that most people I have heard have a Swift say how much enjoyment they get from their Swift and that they are planing on a new Swift when the existing one retires.

Note I had to use longer control horns and heavier control wire when I moved the servos to the top.
Old Feb 01, 2003, 06:58 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,500 Posts
All,

After seeing a clubmate fly his a week or so ago, I just had to have one!

It arrived today, and I'm going to attempt a review article as I go along. I managed to convince my LHS to let me swop one wing panel with one from another kit, so now I have a yellow & red kit to make!

I've got the 'standard' 6x700NiMH pack, although my mate has been to the ASDA supermarket and bought some 550 NiMH cells and made a 7 cell pack. The performance is quite startling, although duration suffers.

I can also see the vulnerability of the servos beneath the wings; it's a pity they weren't designed to go on top. Is there a reason for that?

Someone suggested mounting the motor/gearbox the other way up too, but I'm guessing there'd be thrustline issues there.

I'll post more as construction progresses.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Feb 01, 2003, 07:19 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
I use 7 cell 700mah nimh packs and a spee 300 but they only provide about 5 amps. Using a 7 cell 500 nicad pack I get up to 8-10 amps. Much more power but of course they are to heavy for the Swift. I am hoping to try so li-poly cells to max the power output of the speed 300 without adding to much weight.
I have ordered a charger but there is a 6-8 week back log in order for it. By then I hope the new 8c Kokam cell are available.
IMHO I think the Swift could use more down thrust as mine will climb faster at 3/4 power then full power because I have to use to much elvator to keep it looping. One of these days I will try adding more down thrust.
Do be very careful about adding any weight and besure to check the cg. When the cg is wrong it can be vvvvvvvvvvvery hard to fly.
I had to add some lead to nose on mine to get the cg right. Now glides light a dream now.

Bob
Old Feb 02, 2003, 04:57 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,500 Posts
My clubmate Andy turned up at the field today, having installed a 1400 Mah L-ion pack in his Swift. The duration was amazing!

No, I didn't time it, but he had 2 loooong flights (at full power) from just the one charge. Very convincing.

tim
Old Feb 03, 2003, 01:11 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tim hooper
My clubmate Andy turned up at the field today, having installed a 1400 Mah L-ion pack in his Swift. The duration was amazing!

No, I didn't time it, but he had 2 loooong flights (at full power) from just the one charge. Very convincing.

tim
What number of cells? And where did he get 1400 mah cells?
Old Feb 03, 2003, 05:09 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,500 Posts
Bob,

Just 2 cells of 1400 Mah. I gather they're being distributed in the UK by Perkins.

Interestingly, my mate uses a standard Super nova charger set to 6 cells (7.2 volts). Seems to detect the delta peak just fine so far!

tim
Old May 04, 2003, 12:14 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
Out with the OLD and in with the New MS COMPOSIT COMBAT SWIFT KIT!!! MS-11000

I do have the new MS-11000 kits now. I was able to build the NEW MS COMPOSIT SWIFT about 5 hours. I just got back from my test flight...outside at night! WOW!!!! What a fun airplane. The power and response is amazing. It has unlimited vertical. Flies Great at all speeds...Bounces of roofs, sidewalks, and tree trunks! I Looked it over and flew it. Most other airplanes would have ended up in the trash can but NOT this one. It was flying as soon as I picked it up and threw it back into the air.
I am sooooo happy with this new kit and can't wait until tomorrow when I can really see it. 11:00pm is not the best time to fly but as soon as I built it I knew I had to fly it.

If you have the older bigger SWIFT just wait until you fly this newer smaller one I think it is twice as fast. Does anyone else think this or was it my night vision?
-gerald

Quote:
It interesting that most people I have heard have a Swift say how much enjoyment they get from their Swift and that they are planing on a new Swift when the existing one retires.

Note I had to use longer control horns and heavier control wire when I moved the servos to the top.
Old May 04, 2003, 12:23 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
I see you have the newer kit.

Hello,
I see you have the newer SWIFT kit. I just got mine finished tonight...and fly it. Would you say that it is about twice as fast as the older one? Woops! I just read that you only had two planes...WOW if you went from the Tiger Moth to the MS-11000 SWIFT you are one heck of a flyer!!! Congrats!

-gerald

Quote:
Old May 04, 2003, 02:26 AM
Toronto, ON Canada
Joined Jul 2002
877 Posts
GBAGLEY - Explain "Unlimited Vertical". I've got and old one and a new one. Don't get me wrong. I love the thing to death.

However, "Unlimited Vertical" is an overstatement in my opinion.

You're right about the Fun factor though - I love the old one (it's slow, and the first plane I ever flew a complete flight!) and the new one as well.
Helicool is offline Find More Posts by Helicool
Old May 04, 2003, 09:15 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
Lets say "Ample Vertical"

Helicool,
"Unlimited Vertical" may be a little strong. Especially with no rudder and a single conversion receiver. Lets say "Ample Vertical"

Quote:
Originally posted by Helicool
GBAGLEY - Explain "Unlimited Vertical". I've got and old one and a new one. Don't get me wrong. I love the thing to death.

However, "Unlimited Vertical" is an overstatement in my opinion.

You're right about the Fun factor though - I love the old one (it's slow, and the first plane I ever flew a complete flight!) and the new one as well.