SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2008, 09:54 PM
West Texas
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Discussion
Building the Electrostick with tricycle gear

I'm thinking about this plane but I would like to have it not be a tail dragger.

Do you all think it would be hard to take the ARF and build it with steerable nose gear?

Besides setting the main gear back some and arranging weight to keep the CG in check, what else am I not thinking of that would be potential problems?
Mancos is offline Find More Posts by Mancos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:31 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Joined Dec 2004
115 Posts
Funny thing about that particular plane, is a few years back, its 45 sized bigger nitro brother only came with nose gear. Hopefully someone here can provide you with better info, but I'd look to see if you can find a nose gear peace for a 25sized trainer.

I'm not quite certain how you would get it to work, with an electic motor mount, but normally this is what is used for the stearable nose gear:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK170&P=ML

Jason
jaywebguy is offline Find More Posts by jaywebguy
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:01 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancos
I'm thinking about this plane but I would like to have it not be a tail dragger.

Do you all think it would be hard to take the ARF and build it with steerable nose gear?

Besides setting the main gear back some and arranging weight to keep the CG in check, what else am I not thinking of that would be potential problems?
After extensive research when I first got into hefty electrics - you'd be amazed at the effects of a 42oz nicad battery on weenie UC mounts, so it's real easy with LiPos - I can tell you that ending a landing rollout with model and UC in different places is not fun.

Trike pros - you get to spend more, on three wheels and a nosegear. Plus you get to add weight to a model. Adding weight is one of the more costly ways to ruin performance too. On rough grass, they are great for ripping the nose gear off and destroying the firewall on UglyStik types - especially BARFs with Liteply fuselages...

Trike cons - let me think a little... Maybe that's why I've had three in fast approaching thirty years of RC.

Okay, you still can't stop yourself. You need to locate your main gear just aft of the CG - too close to the CG, it'll tip onto tail as you hit power or bumps on take off. Too far aft, the nose will whack down hard on landing and you'll have to pull hard on the up ele to raise the nose on take-off to rotate.

You'll also need to ensure that it stays put My favourite is two or three inches of 3/4" alloy "L" section, from a hardware store. These are epoxied into the join before fus sides and bottom, the gear bolted into them. For that, I use "T" nuts, upside down and epoxied into place.

Nosegear - sounds like a PITA. I'd go scrat around the internet, look for a screenshot of a real UglyStik plan. Usually, with slimers, a commercial steerable is bolted to the firewall below the engine mount. I suspect you may not have room for this on the E-Stik. How are you at wire bending? I personally rate it somewhere under root canals and climbing mountains on my road bike, but it comes in handy. I'd live without steerable, bend up something that bolts under the fuselage at the front to put the UC leg under the firewall. Or you might be able to fudge around the nose and bolt a small commercial unit on the backside of the firewall.

Destroying the BARF (Bought Almost Ready to Fix) image further, I'd either replace the firewall with 1/8" Birch Ply or double up the existing one with Birch Ply. Liteply basically ain't up to UC stresses and strains like this.

Steering - yet another advantage of trikes. My taildraggers, I fly off grass so they get a skid. You get to run a flexible snake off your rudder servo, forwards and downwards, around the battery and tray, out the bottom and to the nosewheel steering arm.

Better put a strain relief device in the nosewheel drive too, unless you really like buying rudder servos every time you whack a lump, runway crack or whatever

Be prepared to shuffle your servo tray around, maybe a lot more of the internals.

Have fun, at least you'll know which is yours in the pits when its time to go home

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck