HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:40 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Discussion
Funbuild 2. 1/5 Scale Sig J3 Cub kit build

After doing somework on a Kadet Senior I really decided I don't want another non-scale sport model right now. After some contemplating and looking at what I have available for batteries and browsing around the LHS yesterday I decided to go for the 1/5 scale Cub kit from Sig. I had a Goldberg Cub that was glow powered years ago and it was my second favorite plane of all time next to my 4*40 so the Cub idea really got to me last night. So tonight on the way home from work I picked up the kit at the LHS.

A link to the kit description is here.
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...le_20Models_01

I've gotten as far as reading the instructions and having a look through the box. This is a really excellent kit. It's all laser cut, has a fiberglass cowl, moldings for the dummy engine for both sides of the cowl (On the Goldberg Cub they assume your glow engine will stick out one side and only give you one molding), fairly scale landing gear, operating cabin door and a lot of other goodies. The construction basically is interlocking like a giant size Mountain Models style kit. I think most could be built off the plans. This should go together fairly quick and be finished about the time I am finished with my Martin Maryland plans and am ready to get going on that.

I am going to use a balsa products outrunner and esc I used for the short lived Albatros and a 4S2P A123 battery. The plane is 82 inch wingspan but calls for a .40 to .46 2stroke. It looks to be built really light as is without much change needed.

After going through the box I am really excited to get started on this one. I will start building tomorrow evening and post some pictures then.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Last edited by RyanPSU21; Sep 25, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:12 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Will be watching with interest. I have one of these on the shelf. It should make a nice "e" conversion.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:50 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I got started tonight on it. I finished up all the small fuselage sub-assemblies before you start assembling the main fuselage structure. There are a few. I am sure that I spent most of my time tonight flipping through the sheets trying to find the part as there are about 27 or 28 laser cut sheets in there. Towards the end I had been through them so many times I was getting to where I knew which was and could find it quick. Tomorrow if I get time will be putting the basic structure up together.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:35 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,362 Posts
Wow!

Ryan,

I am trying to decide between the 1/5 and 1/6 kits. Of course the 1/5 is the "modern" one with laser cut parts and better detail, including the all important dummy engine. One main concern is the power requirements. I want to go electric, but will the 1/5 need a much larger motor and battery? I suppose both will require that I get a seperate BEC and a new charger.

My biggest plane so far is the Mountain Models J-3 at 48". I fly that on a 2S 1320 for real scale flight chararistics. BTW, I cannot say enough about the MM kit! What a great kit.
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Jul 24, 2008, 09:14 AM
Brimfield, MA
Joined Jul 2002
194 Posts
Me too!

My wife got me one of these for my birthday. Well actually she bought the 1/6 scale version but I 'traded up' for the bigger one. A very nice looking kit that I hope to start on sometime next month.

I've looked through most of the 1/5 scale threads for suggested motor/battery combos but it seems there aren't any definitive ones out there. I don't have any motors big enough right now so whatever I decide on will have to be purchased. I've been using 3S1P 2100 LiPo for all my electric fleet so far. The A123's look interesting as well.

I'll be watching this thread with interest, thanks for taking the time to keep us all informed of your progress

Jim, KK1W
Jim-KK1W is offline Find More Posts by Jim-KK1W
Old Jul 24, 2008, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
The stated weight is around 7 lbs. So worse case you might come out around 8 lbs. Even at that, this is a Cub and to fly like a Cub you only need 50 watts a pound. So you will fly on 400 watts even if you come out heavy and 500 watts will make it a bit more spirited. This plane was designed around a .40 to .46 even though the wingspan is large at 82 inches.

I am going to use a 4S2P A123 for it. It has potential for 800 watts. I'm only tossing a motor in that runs at 500 watts and it will be fine for it and at only drawing a current that a 4S1P could handle.

For the 1/6 scale one I'd just go for 400 watts with the 4S1P pack and use it. I think the actual expense difference for the 1/5 verse 1/6 isn't a lot. They are both larger planes.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 08:47 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I got another hour or so of work done on it. The fuselage is going together quick now. The parts sheets are dissappearing fast. The cabin top is a major jigsaw puzzle of trying to fit everything together at once before gluing. The last 2 center ribs are a bit of fun to get squeezed in there.

The kit is pretty nice so far. One complaint so far though. A lot of the slots especially in the fuselage sides are not large enough for the tabs in the formers and take some real working to get in place. A little more hole tolerance was needed there.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:21 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I got some more done tonight. The fuselage doublers are on and I got most of the top hatch finished. Just need to add the crossbraces and then the 2 mounting bolt parts. I also picked up a GreatPlanes motor mount to try on this thing at the LHS tonight. Haven't gotten around to seeing if the motor I have will actually fit it or not yet. Hopefully I am for once lucky and the hole pattern on it matches the motor.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I haven't posted for a while. But progress is occurring. The base structure is basically finished now with the struts and landing gear to come next. There isn't much to show in the last bit. It was built exactly per instructions and plans which have very good pictures and directions.

I am debating trying to turn this into an L4 instead of J3. I'm not quite sure how to go about the rear greenhouse. The greenhouse goes over the top of the wing center section so the wing tube and rib structures there will be visible and can't really be hidden.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:49 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Just editing the title to throw my hat in the ring for this year's fun build. No new progress on the plane lately.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 03:06 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Ryan ,

Thanks for participating again this year . Good luck with your big J3 ( someday I'll get to mine )

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 25, 2008, 06:37 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I finally got some more work done today on this. After seeing Mark's C232 almost finished I decided I better start catching up.

I made and put the strut fittings onto the fuselage. This is wear screwup #1 on the plane showed up. You aren't supposed to put the tri-stock on in front of the rear block until after you put this fittings on. I did it before and put it from fuse side to fuse side so I had to cut out the chunks where the blind nuts needed to go.

I started making the first wing strut. You attach the inboard end and then attach the outboard ends on with the wing mounted to the fuse to get the positions correct.

I am starting to look for some alternate color schemes for this other then the traditional Cub yellow look.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
FYI

I have a 1/6 Sig Cub on floats , AUW is 5.5 lbs.

It has 400 watts and a 12x6 prop , it will ROW on less than full throttle and fly fine on 1/4 throttle.
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:40 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Ryan ,

I too was motivated somewhat by the quick Cap232 build . Managed to build the other half of my Albatros fuse ...then started to really scratch my head trying to figure what will be next

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:27 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Lake, that's a good looking Cub. I've thought of floats for a long time but have never gotten around to making a plane with them. One of these days I'm going to build a Northstar just to mess around with.

With Mark's Cap now having a really exellent covering job on it, I'm going to really have to go to work on the finishing job for this. More so then I've done on any plane before I think.

I've got some finalists for the color scheme choices. The Swiss have a lot of yellow and red varaiations that are still J3 window configurations. The RAF has an interesting greyish white scheme. The US Navy has a yellow J3 but I've only been able to fine 1 picture of it so far. If I decided to go and try to turn this into an L4 configuration I really like the Marines dark blue scheme.