HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:31 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Mini-Review
Twister Skylift Tandem Review !!!!!

I have received a Twister Skylift Tandem Helicopter from Hobby-Lobby and wanted to describe my thoughts on it.

This is truly an entry level RC helicopter that even people that have never flown before can get into the air quite easily.

2 neat innovations are the "MOPS" (motor overload protection system) that will stop the motors when an interference is detected. and the "LBW" low battery warning light. When it's time to land the super bright blue LED will start flashing and definitely get your attention. This feature should allow the battery packs to get more cycle life.

It did come with an instructional DVD as well.

Included a USB cable so you can download the free FMS flight simulator and practice flying. nice touch

Once I opened the box I saw how complete this kit really is. Even the batteries for the transmitter were included.

Also included is a switching power supply for the included lithium polymer battery charger. one thing that I really liked was that it is a "balance charger" it charges at 1C so it will take about an hour to fully charge the battery.

There is a single 3S 800mah lithium battery in the box as well and an extra set of top and bottom rotor blades for both rotor assemblies.

I really like the look and design of the fuselage. it looks great on the table and looks even cooler in the air.

Personally I have always been intrigued by tandem helicopter designs and this is my first RC tandem helicopter.

it is a little longer then a single mast coaxial.

after the battery was charged I installed it. plugged it in and let the heli sit for a couple seconds to let the Gyro initialize.

I checked the cyclic actions and saw no binding with the body work and was quite happy about that.

put it in the middle of my living room floor, sat back and gave it some throttle.

now since this is a bigger heli than the US Coast Guard Twister I felt that it needed a little more room to fly. I am pretty good at flying these RC helis and decided to just fly it in my living room again.

The controls are exactly the same as a non tandem. the on board electronics take care of all the special mixing that needs to happen and allows the familiar controls to also work on this.

there seems to be a lot of thrust because of all the blades :-)

bringing it to a hover instantly brought a smile to my face

I did not have to add any trim to keep it in a nice hover position. it is very stable indoors and also has a nice and docile (scale looking) Yaw rate.

it is pretty impressive to watch it yaw in a slow pirouette

I got about 5 minutes of slow controlled hovering and figure 8 circuit flying before the LBW L.E.D started flashing indicating it was time to land. I landed immediately and inspected the motors and battery temps.

1. The motors were very hot ( I did not have a temp gauge) and I could not leave my finger on the motor for even 1 second. very hot. I would not imagine that it would be good to fly multiple batteries through this without a cool down period between flights.

2. The battery was extremely hot !!I Again I did not have a temp gauge but common sense tells me that a lipo battery should never reach those temps. the pack was too hot to remove, I could not touch it for longer than 1 second.

I personally feel that the power system is under rated for this machine. this weekend I will try it out with a TP 3S 1320 pack and see how it goes, I suspect the pack will not be as warm but the extra weight might just end up frying the motors.

I would suggest that this Heli gets a cool down period before flying again.

at these temps experience in the Twister coaxial product line I personally wonder how long the electronic components will last.

just my honest opinion

other then that it is a neat looking helicopter and the mechanical parts seemed to be good. and it is just an awesome feeling flying this tandem around. it attracts a lot of attention when people see it and it generates a lot of questions from people. I really like it and will be thinking of ways to help optimize the power components.

I also must admit that after flying this Tandem I now feel the urge to look into getting a larger tandem

and the rolling wheels make it fun to taxi around on the kitchen floor
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:03 PM
Honey,just one more thing
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
OK, another thing I gotta buy now, just to have
spudandretti is offline Find More Posts by spudandretti
Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:50 PM
Broken Arrow, OK USA
Joined Feb 2008
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave420
I have received a Twister Skylift Tandem Helicopter from Hobby-Lobby and wanted to describe my thoughts on it.

This is truly an entry level RC helicopter that even people that have never flown before can get into the air quite easily.

2 neat innovations are the "MOPS" (motor overload protection system) that will stop the motors when an interference is detected. and the "LBW" low battery warning light. When it's time to land the super bright blue LED will start flashing and definitely get your attention. This feature should allow the battery packs to get more cycle life.

It did come with an instructional DVD as well.

Included a USB cable so you can download the free FMS flight simulator and practice flying. nice touch

Once I opened the box I saw how complete this kit really is. Even the batteries for the transmitter were included.

Also included is a switching power supply for the included lithium polymer battery charger. one thing that I really liked was that it is a "balance charger" it charges at 1C so it will take about an hour to fully charge the battery.

There is a single 3S 800mah lithium battery in the box as well and an extra set of top and bottom rotor blades for both rotor assemblies.

I really like the look and design of the fuselage. it looks great on the table and looks even cooler in the air.

Personally I have always been intrigued by tandem helicopter designs and this is my first RC tandem helicopter.

it is a little longer then a single mast coaxial.

after the battery was charged I installed it. plugged it in and let the heli sit for a couple seconds to let the Gyro initialize.

I checked the cyclic actions and saw no binding with the body work and was quite happy about that.

put it in the middle of my living room floor, sat back and gave it some throttle.

now since this is a bigger heli than the US Coast Guard Twister I felt that it needed a little more room to fly. I am pretty good at flying these RC helis and decided to just fly it in my living room again.

The controls are exactly the same as a non tandem. the on board electronics take care of all the special mixing that needs to happen and allows the familiar controls to also work on this.

there seems to be a lot of thrust because of all the blades :-)

bringing it to a hover instantly brought a smile to my face

I did not have to add any trim to keep it in a nice hover position. it is very stable indoors and also has a nice and docile (scale looking) Yaw rate.

it is pretty impressive to watch it yaw in a slow pirouette

I got about 5 minutes of slow controlled hovering and figure 8 circuit flying before the LBW L.E.D started flashing indicating it was time to land. I landed immediately and inspected the motors and battery temps.

1. The motors were very hot ( I did not have a temp gauge) and I could not leave my finger on the motor for even 1 second. very hot. I would not imagine that it would be good to fly multiple batteries through this without a cool down period between flights.

2. The battery was extremely hot !!I Again I did not have a temp gauge but common sense tells me that a lipo battery should never reach those temps. the pack was too hot to remove, I could not touch it for longer than 1 second.

I personally feel that the power system is under rated for this machine. this weekend I will try it out with a TP 3S 1320 pack and see how it goes, I suspect the pack will not be as warm but the extra weight might just end up frying the motors.

I would suggest that this Heli gets a cool down period before flying again.

at these temps experience in the Twister coaxial product line I personally wonder how long the electronic components will last.

just my honest opinion

other then that it is a neat looking helicopter and the mechanical parts seemed to be good. and it is just an awesome feeling flying this tandem around. it attracts a lot of attention when people see it and it generates a lot of questions from people. I really like it and will be thinking of ways to help optimize the power components.

I also must admit that after flying this Tandem I now feel the urge to look into getting a larger tandem

and the rolling wheels make it fun to taxi around on the kitchen floor
Thanks for contributing the great review. I have a Walkera #38 on order, and also thinking about adding a Sky Lift to my arsenal!
airfox777 is offline Find More Posts by airfox777
Old Jul 22, 2008, 08:42 PM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I deleted some of your words, just did not want to read it for a third time
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:26 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
I just flew it again. Really fun and cool to have in the fleet. Letting everything cool now for another troop deployment :-)
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:28 AM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Can the battery holder move back and forth?
Old Aug 07, 2008, 10:19 PM
US ARMY retired
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jun 2008
349 Posts
Hey guys just got my twister skylift and have flown it twice, and I agree with superdave this things battery gets smoking hot, and the motors also, while it is impressive flying, after just a few minutes mine was in need of quite a few adjustments to keep straight, it does turn quite slow (nothing like my CX2) and i did hit the wall, lucky for me I didnt break anything, it'll probly be hard to get parts being as new as it is, I did bend the flybar and with the inner and outer shafts being so long, they dont take kindly to the imbalance of a bent flybar, I have already installed carbon fiber flybars and this has solved the vibration problem, my early impression is this thing will not have any bladestrike issues, so no need for my supershafts. I am hoping for a calm day to see what this thing will do in forward flight, it definately has alot more power than I expected it to have, run time is not the greatest, actually it suks, but like Superdave I would be afraid to fly it any longer for fear of burning up the motors, Iam going to start testing some mods for this beast this weekend, first up is slotting the stock motors to aid in cooling, than we'll take it from there..................
Ernie www.helitek-rc.com
decuzar is offline Find More Posts by decuzar
Old Aug 07, 2008, 11:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Very cool Superdave! Im glad to see people are finally getting the Twister that have been waiting so long for it. Ive had the big Walkera 38 for a couple weeks now and the "cool factor" in the air is quite impressive. The Walkera suffers from the same smoking hot battery and motor issues as well after a 5 min flight so I think its just the multi motor drain on the batts these tandems create. Mine comes stock with a 7.4 2200Mah and you get the higher voltage 11.1 800 mah so mine has much less "umph" in the air beacuse I weigh twice what you do with lower voltage unfortunately.
I put a 11.1v 800 mah in mine just to test the electronics with the extra voltage and after one minute of flying the low 800 mah batt had cooked itself in the heli. I now run a 11.1 1800Mah and all is fine so I think if you can find a higher Mah 3 cell without adding too much weight, your battery temps will come down a good bit.
Does it run four 180 sized motors? If so then It would interesting to see how changing out to the new Xtreme 180s would do. They run much cooler and make much more power than any stock or hopped up 180 I have used so far.
I wonder why they use a 1A charger on a 800Mah pack. Thats a higher charge rate than most would suggest The Walkera is the opposite. They put a crappy .8A charger for a 2200mah so 3 hours charge!!!! luckily I have other chargers to do it correctly

Happy flying
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Aug 07, 2008, 11:34 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decuzar
Hey guys just got my twister skylift and have flown it twice, and I agree with superdave this things battery gets smoking hot, and the motors also, while it is impressive flying, after just a few minutes mine was in need of quite a few adjustments to keep straight, it does turn quite slow (nothing like my CX2) and i did hit the wall, lucky for me I didnt break anything, it'll probly be hard to get parts being as new as it is, I did bend the flybar and with the inner and outer shafts being so long, they dont take kindly to the imbalance of a bent flybar, I have already installed carbon fiber flybars and this has solved the vibration problem, my early impression is this thing will not have any bladestrike issues, so no need for my supershafts. I am hoping for a calm day to see what this thing will do in forward flight, it definately has alot more power than I expected it to have, run time is not the greatest, actually it suks, but like Superdave I would be afraid to fly it any longer for fear of burning up the motors, Iam going to start testing some mods for this beast this weekend, first up is slotting the stock motors to aid in cooling, than we'll take it from there..................
Ernie www.helitek-rc.com

Yeah something needs to be done about the power system, I have been flying high end lithium powered aircraft for a while and it's a no-no to let lithiums get that hot, as well as motors because of loss of magnetic force from high temps..

it's neat and it is the best they can do at this price point. but I feel it is a good platform for modding.
Old Aug 07, 2008, 11:41 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Very cool Superdave! Im glad to see people are finally getting the Twister that have been waiting so long for it. Ive had the big Walkera 38 for a couple weeks now and the "cool factor" in the air is quite impressive. The Walkera suffers from the same smoking hot battery and motor issues as well after a 5 min flight so I think its just the multi motor drain on the batts these tandems create. Mine comes stock with a 7.4 2200Mah and you get the higher voltage 11.1 800 mah so mine has much less "umph" in the air beacuse I weigh twice what you do with lower voltage unfortunately.
I put a 11.1v 800 mah in mine just to test the electronics with the extra voltage and after one minute of flying the low 800 mah batt had cooked itself in the heli. I now run a 11.1 1800Mah and all is fine so I think if you can find a higher Mah 3 cell without adding too much weight, your battery temps will come down a good bit.
Does it run four 180 sized motors? If so then It would interesting to see how changing out to the new Xtreme 180s would do. They run much cooler and make much more power than any stock or hopped up 180 I have used so far.
I wonder why they use a 1A charger on a 800Mah pack. Thats a higher charge rate than most would suggest The Walkera is the opposite. They put a crappy .8A charger for a 2200mah so 3 hours charge!!!! luckily I have other chargers to do it correctly

Happy flying
The charger is 1C not 1A . 1C simply means the charge current is
(1 times x ) where (x)= the battery Mah rating. so it's a 800Mah rated battery which means it can put out .800 Amps or 800 milliamps for 1 hour.

so a 1C charger will take slightly under 1 hour to charge the 800mah battery and the charger is basically putting out .800 Amps to make that happen. it is slightly under 1 hour and not a full hour because lithium batts should never be discharged to zero and there is always some left in the pack .

plus the LWB system on these helis is designed to help prevent over discharge of the batteries.

Lets see how cool you guys can get these to run.

David
Old Aug 07, 2008, 11:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
The charger is 1C not 1A . 1C simply means the charge current is
(1 times x ) where (x)= the battery Mah rating. so it's a 800Mah rated battery which means it can put out .800 Amps or 800 milliamps for 1 hour.

so a 1C charger will take slightly under 1 hour to charge the 800mah battery and the charger is basically putting out .800 Amps to make that happen. it is slightly under 1 hour and not a full hour because lithium batts should never be discharged to zero and there is always some left in the pack .

plus the LWB system on these helis is designed to help prevent over discharge of the batteries.

Lets see how cool you guys can get these to run.

David
Sorry man, I wasnt paying attention and didnt notice the "C" in your post and was thinking "A"........makes sense then. I think Walkera just threw in a charger from one of their smaller helis with my tandem.....I mean, common its for a 800Mah pack! Thank God I have 8 other helis and all sorts of other chargers laying around to use, because I dont know of anyone that would be willing to get 5 mins flight and then wait 3 hours to charge.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 12:55 AM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Sorry man, I wasnt paying attention and didnt notice the "C" in your post and was thinking "A"........makes sense then. I think Walkera just threw in a charger from one of their smaller helis with my tandem.....I mean, common its for a 800Mah pack! Thank God I have 8 other helis and all sorts of other chargers laying around to use, because I dont know of anyone that would be willing to get 5 mins flight and then wait 3 hours to charge.

no worries I mostly went into detail for other "beginners" that might be reading as well.

yeah we all know how Walkera does things have to take the bad with the good and throw in some common sense hehe.

"I dont know of anyone that would be willing to get 5 mins flight and then wait 3 hours to charge"

hehe yeah remember the good old tyco toys lol 8 hour charge 10-15 minutes of run time...

I do have a TP 3S 1320 pack that I am going to try on mine to see how it goes, My bet is that the motors will just over heat and die though.

it might be worth while to use the mechanics and BL motor adapters, BL motors with heatsinks, and a good battery like a 1320 pro-lite or similar
Old Aug 08, 2008, 01:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
no worries I mostly went into detail for other "beginners" that might be reading as well.

yeah we all know how Walkera does things have to take the bad with the good and throw in some common sense hehe.

"I dont know of anyone that would be willing to get 5 mins flight and then wait 3 hours to charge"

hehe yeah remember the good old tyco toys lol 8 hour charge 10-15 minutes of run time...

I do have a TP 3S 1320 pack that I am going to try on mine to see how it goes, My bet is that the motors will just over heat and die though.

it might be worth while to use the mechanics and BL motor adapters, BL motors with heatsinks, and a good battery like a 1320 pro-lite or similar
Defintely remember the old Tyco stuff I had several of their slot track race sets as well as a kid. That 1320 should run cooler but then the motors hotter like you said. Im just going to see if I can get a more efficient set of 370's for mine and call it day. I dont plan on flying my tandem near as much as my others anyway, but it is really cool and scale looking in the air. It definitely is a different feeling flying these things compared to regular helis. The gyro changing the rotors RPM during flight to stay straight causes the heli to sort of "lift and descend" during hover making me work the throttle a little more to keep her level. I assume this is just the way a tandem feels with 4 rotors changing all the time, but maybe yours isnt this way? Its seems mine is very sensitive to the rotor change and will lose or gain lift because of it. Ive tried all sorts of gyro sens and proportional and have it set about as good as it gets. Its not so noticeable when actually flying it around, but more when just trying to hover in one place.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 03:07 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,107 Posts
twister

I just got my twister too, fun heli, and my battery got hot too, 130 degrees.....
I have not done an amp draw but am curious.
I tried a tp 1320 battery but the green lite did not come on, it stayed red.
I thought that was strange,, you think it knows the mah too and will only run with their battery??
motors were not too bad, around 110 degrees.
5 flights so far,
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Aug 08, 2008, 04:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55
I just got my twister too, fun heli, and my battery got hot too, 130 degrees.....
I have not done an amp draw but am curious.
I tried a tp 1320 battery but the green lite did not come on, it stayed red.
I thought that was strange,, you think it knows the mah too and will only run with their battery??
motors were not too bad, around 110 degrees.
5 flights so far,
Thats strange on the battery???? Ive never met a heli that knew the difference. I can always use any Mah batt I want on any of my helis. The only limiting factor has always been the voltage the electronics could handle and the battery weight the heli could handle