SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:46 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Question
RC Dogfighting with a SCM

ive seen threads on this, but they have not answered some of my questions.

1. does the speaker and microphone have to out side the plane, or can it all be inside? (glued to the fuse)

2. IF it can all be inside and glued to the fuse will the spakers sound waves travel through the fuse and set off the microphone (basicly will it shoot its self? )

3. if i use the interface from here: http://air-commander.com/index.php/a...erface_module/ will it shut down the engine (or rev it) if i get hit?

thanks YB
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:12 PM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
I think it would work alot better out-side the fuselage and I would imagine that they will have different "sound's" for opposing modules so you wont be able to shoot yourself down.

Simon
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:39 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
have you used a SCM equiped plane?

oops, for got a question: would the speaker loose all its directionality? (would the sound travel all through the fuse and out every which way)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 09:12 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
anyone?

or would one of these: http://www.rcmodels.org/csm/Airwars.htm work better?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:52 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,592 Posts
it must be out side the planes. the reciever would not hear the sound if inside your plane. and the speaker would not be able to penetrate out of the fuse to (kill) the other plane. I mounted one on the bottom of my fuse to look like a bomb!
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jul 23, 2008, 01:15 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
ok, thanks Turbonut.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:08 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron
anyone?

or would one of these: http://www.rcmodels.org/csm/Airwars.htm work better?
The Airwars system works, we tried it out when it first hit the market years ago, see this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=airwars

the snag is that we found it a lot easier to evade than to shoot your opponent down. With just two flyers and manouverable models we couldn't register a hit, since you need to get in pretty close and within a fairly confined arc. No head-on attacks with this system.

With slower models, flying closer in and, more importantly with multiple pilots, making it harder to evade, it was much easier to get a hit.

They're still in the cupboard BTW and haven't seen the light of day for about five years
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:26 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
could more infared led's hooked up in parallel (say 5, in a p-38) make it earier to hit, and maybe put more receving led's on the model too?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:45 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,626 Posts
Dunno - the pulses on the LED sender and receiver are different for each unit and identify that unit in the software, so I'm not sure whether a combination of the pulses from more than one sender, received at almost the same time, through several sensors, might confuse the receiver unit.

When you get a hit the unit is pre-programmed to give a wing rock or pitch up or down via one of the servo leads being connected through it, it also counts the hits for display on landing, via the flashing LED on the unit and in the software through the interface.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:20 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
i could always try and just put it back again (as long as i dont fry it) all though neither system seems to be perfect.
SCM: has to be out side the plane (ruins scale aircraft, in my opinion) ~$55
CSM Air Wars: tough to get a hit in one-on-one (just needs more skill, and maybe more LED's) ~$60 + optional interface

Hmm.