SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2008, 06:55 PM
United States, KS, Coffeyville
Joined Aug 2005
799 Posts
Discussion
Any expericence with the Jetstream planes from Hot Bodies/HPI?

Any of you guys have any experience with the Jetstream planes by Hot Bodies/HPI? They can be seen at www.456mb.com . Cool looking planes but can't find much info on them or any flight reports. I'd like to know how durable they are, especially what kind of foam these are made of. Is it EPP or the cheap styrofoam like in the GWS planes? Do they fly well and will they ROG easily? They look to have quality electronics except the RX and TX are most likely in need of replacement. Any info you guys may have would be appreciated...

Thanks...
Snooptalian is offline Find More Posts by Snooptalian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:51 PM
Professional Lurker
RI (Up the street from St.Martin)
Joined Oct 2003
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptalian
Any of you guys have any experience with the Jetstream planes by Hot Bodies/HPI? They can be seen at www.456mb.com . Cool looking planes but can't find much info on them or any flight reports. I'd like to know how durable they are, especially what kind of foam these are made of. Is it EPP or the cheap styrofoam like in the GWS planes? Do they fly well and will they ROG easily? They look to have quality electronics except the RX and TX are most likely in need of replacement. Any info you guys may have would be appreciated...

Thanks...
I'd wait until you either handled one of these personally, or you run into someone who has personal knowledge. HPI has traditionally been quite strong with their offerings in the RC Car community. I get somewhat pensive about a new product like this marketed with "everything you need" Kind'a smacks of an entry level offering. Both the Gulfstream and the Boeing 737-800 look interesting otherwise.

P
PAdams is offline Find More Posts by PAdams
Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:56 AM
Joined Oct 2007
706 Posts
Hey Snoop,

I bought the 737 look-a-like from Hot Bodies a few months back. It's still in the box waiting to be built on a rainy day, and at the rate my summer is going, it might be collecting dust for a while.

It's made out of EPS/styrofoam which makes it very light weight. My major gripe with the design is that it's only 3ch - no ailerons. I've thought about doing my own aileron conversion, however the wing is fairly small and has a moderate amount of undercamber.

I have a few foamy EDFs, and this model certainly isn't for the beginner. It feels like it's going to fly fast because of the weight, and the small size will make flying high and/or far away a bit challenging. On top of that, it won't take much to damage the styrofoam (especially the wings). Now, having said all that I still haven't flown it yet. It might surprise me, but all signs point to a fast little bugger that needs to be handled gently.
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:26 PM
United States, KS, Coffeyville
Joined Aug 2005
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmpls
Hey Snoop,

I bought the 737 look-a-like from Hot Bodies a few months back. It's still in the box waiting to be built on a rainy day, and at the rate my summer is going, it might be collecting dust for a while.

It's made out of EPS/styrofoam which makes it very light weight. My major gripe with the design is that it's only 3ch - no ailerons. I've thought about doing my own aileron conversion, however the wing is fairly small and has a moderate amount of undercamber.

I have a few foamy EDFs, and this model certainly isn't for the beginner. It feels like it's going to fly fast because of the weight, and the small size will make flying high and/or far away a bit challenging. On top of that, it won't take much to damage the styrofoam (especially the wings). Now, having said all that I still haven't flown it yet. It might surprise me, but all signs point to a fast little bugger that needs to be handled gently.
I found a guy who has the gulfstream looking jet and he says it flys great. Easy to fly really and not as fast as you may think. I think I'm gonna get the gulfstream version as I would rip those pods off the boeing look alike on landing. They look awfully low to me. From the pics they look to hang nearly as low as the landing gear... Anyway I'll post how well it flies once I get it. I will most likely dump the radio and RX it comes with though...
Snooptalian is offline Find More Posts by Snooptalian
Old Sep 01, 2008, 10:11 AM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
is the learjet version with ailerons? it says it has 4 channels, i am planning to get this plane, but the 737 like one is only 160 rtf, but the learjet is 450!!!!!!! any1 know where else to buy the rtf versions?
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Sep 01, 2008, 06:04 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmpls
Hey Snoop,

I have flown an FSK Strega Reno racer. It has very undercambered wing but aileron works great. Under cambered wing creates lots of lift and drag so no worry about it flying too fast.

Now does it has steerable nose wheel or is the nose wheel fixed? Wing removable? Any battery hatch or you have to remove wing to get to the battery?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Sep 01, 2008, 06:06 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teha99
is the learjet version with ailerons? it says it has 4 channels, i am planning to get this plane, but the 737 like one is only 160 rtf, but the learjet is 450!!!!!!! any1 know where else to buy the rtf versions?
No. These are rudder elevator 3 ch planes.

Where do you see the price of 160 and 450? Tower hobby list RTF price $259.99 for both.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Sep 01, 2008, 07:21 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
on 456mb.com
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:13 AM
Sukumo, Japan
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
I also just bought the 737 look-alike. I covered the fuse with a thin layer of epoxy and sanded it smooth for protection and to try and enhance the looks a bit. There's an extra channel on the Rx for ailerons and plenty of space for another servo in the fuselage though its a small plane so I'm not going to try anything extra unless I get frustrated with only having rudder. Hoping to maiden it in the next few days. I'll keep you posted.
ubermarklar is offline Find More Posts by ubermarklar
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:53 AM
Sukumo, Japan
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
Reporting back half a year later... I crashed it on its maiden.. into someone's car. I hadn't set the rudder and elevator throws properly. Tricky with the all-flying tailplanes. The epoxy and paint left a nice white smear down the side of the guy's nice red car but luckily it cleaned off. I put it back together and flew it a couple weeks later with proper throws and it flew really nicely. It is fast but it handles gently and looks pretty scale in the air. Unfortunately, the battery died on the next flight... The one EDF cut out before the other and sent it into an unrecoverable flat spin. It hit the ground hard and was a write-off. I have since used the electronics and EDFs in my first scratch-build, a Cessna Citation V, but couldn't get the airframe weight nearly as low as the original plane, and it has yet to leave the ground.
ubermarklar is offline Find More Posts by ubermarklar