SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Mini-Review
Twister US Coast Guard Review !!!!!!

I have received a Twister US Coast Guard from Hobby-Lobby and wanted to describe my thoughts on it.

This is truly an entry level RC helicopter that even people that have never flown before can get into the air quite easily.

2 neat innovations are the "MOPS" (motor overload protection system) that will stop the motors when an interference is detected. and the "LBW" low battery warning light. When it's time to land the super brite blue LED will start flashing and definitely get your attention. This feature should allow the battery packs to get more cycle life.

It did come with an instructional DVD as well.

Included a USB cable so you can download the free FMS flight simulator and practice flying. nice touch

Once I opened the box I saw how complete this kit really is. Even the batteries for the transmitter were included.

Also included is a switching power supply for the included lithium polymer battery charger. one thing that I really liked was that it is a "balance charger" it charges at 1C so it will take about an hour to fully charge the battery.

There is a single 2S 800mah lithium battery in the box as well and an extra set of top and bottom rotor blades.

I really like the look and design of the fuselage. it looks great on the table and looks even cooler in the air. The scale looking LG is a nice touch, as well as the canted tail rotor.

after the battery was charged I installed it. plugged it in and let the heli sit for a couple seconds to let the Gyro initialize.

I checked the cyclic actions and saw no binding with the body work and was quite happy about that.

put it in the middle of my living room floor, sat back and gave it some throttle.

It lifted off and needed some slight forward elevator trim to keep it in a hover.

I did notice that the yaw rate at max stick is very docile, this should help it not get out of control in the hands of a new pilot and gave it a nice scale flight attitude.

Flight time is around 10 minutes before the LBW started to blink.

now there were some things that also need to be mentioned.

1. the tail rotor fell off 2 minutes into the flight. this was easily remedied by using the small Philips head screw driver that is also included in the box. 10 seconds later the rotor was back on and I was back in the air.

2. The motors were very hot ( I did not have a temp gauge) and I could not leave my finger on the motor for even 1 second. very hot. I would not imagine that it would be good to fly multiple batteries through this without a cool down period between flights.

3. The battery seemed warmer than I have seen with other coaxial helis. Again I did not have a temp gauge so I cannot really tell if the temps were out of line or not.

other then that it is a neat looking helicopter and the mechanical parts seemed to be good.

The Fuselage is really a nice touch.
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
to remove ads between posts