SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2003, 06:12 PM
London, ON Canada
Joined Mar 2002
99 Posts
Do you leave all the electronics in your planes?

I'm curious... for you RC pilots with more than a few planes, do you leave all the servos, radios, ESC's etc in your planes? I have two electrics and am looking to buy a third (all inexpensive foamies so far) which are cheap enough, but it gets kind of expensive leaving the electronics in them!

You could probably transfer the radio and ESC easily enough, but moving the servos is more problematic. Am I just being too cheap?

Garfield
garfield is offline Find More Posts by garfield
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2003, 06:35 PM
glen innes australia
Joined May 2001
224 Posts
garfield, I leave the servos in all my planes these days. If I am putting one up in storage for some time I might recover them but generally they are best left in place. Most people I know do similar.
the power plant I do shift when I am building planes faster than I can afford the gear. Most of my planes fly on one or two types of power plant so they are easily interchangable.
regards
Bob
robertc is offline Find More Posts by robertc
Old Jan 31, 2003, 06:43 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,648 Posts
It's a personal choice I suppose. i tend to leave the gear in the model even when it isn't being actively flown, unless it's going into really deep storage. I might borrow a receiver or ESC and much more rarely a servo, to put into a new model mostly because it is a pain resetting up the linages if you move servoes about.

So it depends on convenience set against cost. I like the flexibility to be able to just pick up a model, give it a quick check and take it to the field rather than have to worry about moving gear around from one model to another.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jan 31, 2003, 06:49 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
My planes currently are either regular flying machines that get repaired as soon as they break, or are in bits awaiting repair, or have been stripped and binned.

I assume that every plane will have servos motor box ESC and rx as part of the cost. I hate unplugging and plugging things together. My latest model has servos glued inside the wing, the rx antenna glued inside the wing, and the motor and box glued to the firewall. . Neither will come out until the wing is smashed beyind repair

The kit is nowt. In my case the motors are all cans anyway and don't represent a huge investment. That might change if I go 'brushless'.

However I don't see the point in having a useable model that is not in use. Maybe I just haven't collected enough yet :-)

Hint: Watch the net and ebay for people selling off packs, motors and servos cheep.

Hint: Standardise on a few pack types, so you can switch packs - these ARE expensive, and standardise on servo types as well. 90% of mine are HS55's so I am always looking for them, or other 9g servos, on the cheap.

Hint: whenever you go into the model shop, look for parts you know you will need (motors boxes servos ESC's), and buy them a little at a time. Its less painful that way.

I reckon that when I put my Picojet in the air, the toal cost was three times the kit cost, for packs, servos ESC's props, glue, covering and so on. Thats what it cost, and thats that.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 31, 2003, 07:45 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
In time, you'll have enough gear to leave it all in the models. When it's time to fly, charge a pack and go to it! Equipment swapping is a pain, and the connectors are not designed for repeated insertions..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 31, 2003, 08:16 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
I just leave all the gear in each plane. Once I set them up and get the combination working the way I like it, a servo, ESC, motor, etc, only gets pulled out if it fails or gets damaged.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jan 31, 2003, 09:07 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
I sometimes swap receivers and speed controllers, but for the most part all my planes have their own set of gear. I like being able to pull one down on a whim and take it out to the field.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Feb 01, 2003, 03:06 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Garfield,

I Leave them in the plane.....
Advantages:
1) Most important.....it allows me to use my very limited hobby time on more important things such as building/flying.
2) It guarrantees that everything is in order as far as setup is concerned.
3) And also it is a convenience thing.

Disadvantages:
1) Costs more (ack!).

About the only thing I share is the same TX for ALL planes, and my packs.

There was a time when I only had one RX and a non-computer TX. I was even switching out servos between my 2nd and 3rd planes.

Once hooked, I went with dedicated equipment.

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Feb 01, 2003, 03:18 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,386 Posts
Every model I build has new gear and it stays with the plane. I like to recharge batteries in the plane, and thus always have a recharge jack. The few that I have worn out or destroyed have the parts removed and reused as I can. Currently have an active flying fleet of 21 aircraft.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Feb 01, 2003, 06:05 PM
London, ON Canada
Joined Mar 2002
99 Posts
THANKS! This gives me great insight into how others view this this great hobby. Obviously the question reduces down to a issue between convenience and cost, so I will have to decide what is best for me.

I brought home a GWS P-51D today, and am planning on purchasing all new electronics for it (in addition to my Tiger Moth and Rear Bear) so I guess I know what direction I'm heading!

vintage1:
Thanks for the great tips!

Garfield
garfield is offline Find More Posts by garfield
Old Feb 01, 2003, 06:29 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,399 Posts
When I started in this, I couldn't afford extra gear. I had to decide each day what I wanted to fly and move the servos, receiver and battery. So I tended to always fly whatever I last built.
Now I have 11 ESC's, 12 receivers and 41 servos. So most of the gear can stay in the plane. I still don't have enough servos for all the planes I want to keep flyable, though.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Feb 01, 2003, 09:26 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
Once I have a plane trimmed out and flying the way I like it the gear is there to stay until the inevitable happens or I sell the plane.

Unfortunatly it can get costly. Currently I have 15 E-powered and 2 slimers RTF and 3 in process.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 01, 2003, 10:15 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
Each new plane gets new gear which it keeps for its life.
Unless an old one is distroyed or "retired" - than it is stripped of all re-useable parts (even control horns, etc).
This makes life much simpler, if a little more costly.
I am now at the point were I am recycling Spd 400 type gear.
Been experimenting and not all experiments work out.
I do tend to buy planes in which I can use existing battery packs - packs, especially big ones, COST$$$.
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Old Feb 01, 2003, 10:37 PM
Flying the Unusual
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
323 Posts
When I got started in R/C planes about 10 years ago, I had only one non-computer radio, 1 receiver, and 4 servos. I also had about 4 planes (all slimers). I would fly one for a week, then transfer all the radio stuff to another plane and fly it for a week, and so on. What a pain it was to keep that up (but at the time, I didn't have the money for extra gear, and spent most of my extra money on new planes).

Now, I put a flight pack in each plane, and leave it there. Until the plane is no longer flyable.

I have also just ordered a new Hitec Eclipse 7 radio with the spectra module. I should now be able to fly whatever plane I want when I want. (as the eclipse is shift adjustable, has 7 model memory, and I can now dial whatever frequence the plane is on without transmitter crystals).

But when I pile-drive the next plane into oblivion, everything comes out, and the servos - if needed - will get a new gearset. - whala... I'll need a new plane!

If you're into this hobby (and it won't take much - beleive me) you'll use every excuse you can to get a new plane (even if the last one isn't even flying yet - lol)

It'll only take a couple flights before your hooked worse than a junkie on crack
kennypinkerton is offline Find More Posts by kennypinkerton
Old Feb 01, 2003, 10:56 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
for my early planes i bought evert thing used, servos, rxs, txs, battery packs. this stood me well iniyially because, i didm't want to spend money. I did the swapping thing for a bit, but after having a great flying plane crash because I missed a step during the retrimming, I gave that practice up.

Now I buy in bulk, for example. If something goes on sale, I will buy lots of them. HL has a sale on brushless esc's for $39, I bought 5 of them even though I had only 1 brushless motor. Same with servos and rx's, a guy was selling extra servos and rx's from his tx's, I bought 3 hs81's and an 555rx for $70. I bought 4 of these packages. Batteries, I buy in lots of 50 or 100 and make my own packs.

I have more equipment than I need because I buy in bulk.

So yes, every plane has it's own equipment.

j
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo