Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:19 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Discussion
Deans Ultra vs. Regular Deans vs. Knockoff Deans -- AND SOME QUESTIONS!

Yup,
A friend and I are thinking about transforming into deans
I was looking around, and noticed ultra deans, and deans.
Which one is better. I'm looking into Deans ultra, but if deans are just as good, I'll take deans. What's the difference?
Also, a few other questions.
How do we know which side is positive/negative (polarity)?

Also, should we get the knockoff deans? Deans? or Ultra Deans, and where do we find them!?

I saw some Deans on hobbycity for cheap!

Thanks,
Rawfuls
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:36 PM
Joined May 2008
436 Posts
Thanks for asking this. I haven't started my reasearch yet, but I'm also considering a full conversion to deans-type, not sure what to get though
jp2weloveyou is offline Find More Posts by jp2weloveyou
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:17 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Well, I'm currently talking to someone on live support from AMainHobbies, just because a friend recommended them, I've seen them, never bought anything.

About the difference of the Ultras, and Regular deans

And the Sales lady says she couldn't find anything different, or think, from seeing, or remebering.

Now, I'm talking to the tech support guy, and he's just not typing back :X

Are you still using Tamiyas?

I too am thinking about switching from TAmiya to Deans for a full conversion.. That means I'll have to buy a couple sets for my friend.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
Joined May 2008
436 Posts
Yeah, still on the Tamiya plugs, but I definitely want to switch to Deans. Sounds like they're highly superior.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:10 PM
Joined Jul 2007
219 Posts
i think there the same the knockoff and the name brand deans i use knockoff deans and they perform the same
justeen_08 is offline Find More Posts by justeen_08
Last edited by justeen_08; Jul 22, 2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:39 PM
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Apr 2005
810 Posts
I have used "knock off" brands and Deans and have found both perform as well as each other. The only problem is mixing them, they don't together very well and either give you a poor connection, or its nearly impossible to get them apart cause they are so tight.

The positive and negative pins are marked on the back (+ and -).

Tip: When soldering your wires to the plugs, make sure you have the opposite plug connected, it stops the pins from moving around as you apply the heat.
Nexzzt is offline Find More Posts by Nexzzt
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:27 PM
Joined May 2008
436 Posts
So where's the cheapest place to get them. I was thinking my batteries could be female (so I need two, for now) and my ESCs and charger could be male (so I need 3, for now), so what's the cheapest place to get them, including shipping?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:03 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
I ordered 3x10 pairs from hobbycity. and 3x1meter of heatshrink tubing from hobbycity.

All for $20, which is a GREAT deal imho.

Some comments say they get grooved (ribbed) sets, and some not. It's hti and miss, but you don't really need the ribs.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:25 AM
Joined Jul 2007
219 Posts
i bought 5 sets in ebay for $7 including shipping and heat shrink in homedepot for $2.50
justeen_08 is offline Find More Posts by justeen_08
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:27 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Yup. But I got 30 sets! Lol, if you search around, you can definitely find some great daels.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:33 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,404 Posts
I believe the original deans are pin based, kinda like the Deans "Micro" but larger.

Dean ultra are the flat blade type connector. These are the popular ones being cloned everywhere. They are capable of handling lots of watts. Have ran them close to 2000 watts in my helis with no sign of problem.

I have tried 3 different clones from various sources. The problem with the cloned plugs are:
1. low melting point on the plastic housing. You must be quick with the soldering iron, or else the plastic will melt making the plug deformed and unusable.
2. Inconsistency. Some plugs will fit nicely, while some are either too tight or too lose.

I have not measured the resistance of these clones, but I suspect they may have higher resistance the the genuine Deans.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:38 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
The lower the resistance, the worse it is right?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:55 PM
I like boats
Brisbane Qld Australia
Joined Jun 2006
573 Posts
The higher the resistance the worse it is. The claim to fame for deans a few years back is that they had some of the lowest resistance in all plugs sold which is what made them quite popular.

Resistance causes heat. Heat causes melting. That is bad.
Think of resistance as having 2 pieces of stormwater pipe say 200mm and joining them with a piece of 50mm pipe. Run a heap of water through the big end and you will find that where it goes into the smaller pipe, the water slows down to more of a trickle. Electricity has many parallels with water plumbing.
Deestingray is offline Find More Posts by Deestingray
Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:21 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Ooh, I meant to say the lower, the better. Alright thanks for the info!