HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:43 PM
Back in black............
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Build Log
Blue Agri Duck Sport Come on in duck fans

Had the Agri Duck Sport plans for way to long and I should have started the build by now. This is going to be a slower build then my last blue duck. I am going to be useing FFF and doing my best to keep things light. Most of my builds I tend to way over build. According to the Mud Duck Site the foam board version should be 8-11 pounds. I am going to try and keep the Blue Agri Duck Sport below 5 pounds. That means no hot glue and I may change out the wooden dowels with carbon fiber.

Pic to follow
Post away guys

Mike
cars4fun2001 is offline Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:00 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
First off I am not a big "plans" user. Most of the time I build a plane out of foam the plans get made up in my head as I go along. So my procedures my seam a bit funny but its the best I have come up with.

The Agri Duck Sport plan sheets fit perfectly on a sheet of FFF. I don't like to cut up plans so what I am doing is useing a pizza cuter to score the foam. I am just rolling it along the lines useing a straight edge. Works good for the ducks because they are straight. Now there are 3 plan's sheets so in order to build this all you need is 5 sheets of FFF because you will need 2 wings and fuse sides obviously.

Mike
Last edited by cars4fun2001; Jul 20, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:40 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
First sheet of foam cut out.working on the repeat of this. This will get me both fuse sides and a few extra parts.

Mike
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:12 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
In the theme of light E-Power Blue Duck I am not useing the wood in the nose. I also decided to use 3/4" blue foam for the bulkhead's instead of FFF. On my last blue duck which was way over built I added extra bulkheads and stiffeners. I fill pretty sure that using the 3/4" for the bulkheads will do away with the need of the extra bulkheads aiding in keeping things light.

Mike
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:35 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Before I went to bed last night I glued the other fuse side onto the bulk heads. I am using gorilla glue and trying to not over do it. If things keep going like they are it might come out lighter then I had planed.

My experience with my other duck tells me that do to the drag they need a lot of pitch speed and a bit more power then a normal slow flying plane of the same weight. I am planing on some where in the 125watts per pound rang. I will be using emoli cells.

I also want a big freaking prop hanging off the front for no other reason then looks. I would like to have something in the 20" range and as close to square as I can get for the pitch speed. I very well may end up using a out runner in a gear box to get it to where I want. The duck want fly fast I dont care what you have powering it but I swear the more pitch speed you have the better it flys. I started out with around 35mph pitch speed on my other one and wound up with close to 80.

Mike
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:26 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
The plans call for a 3/8" light ply engine mount. I know that this part adds a lot of strength to the nose but I dont need near as much as a glow powered model would. I opted to instead laminate a piece of FFF with two pieces of 1/16" balsa useing gorilla glue. I first took a fork and perforated the FFF to allow the gorilla glow to expand and form a tight bond to both side's. On this piece I did wet both pieces of wood to really kick off the glue.

Not glued yet just a test fit.

Mike
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:46 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
My intention is to us the bulk head that goes behind where the glow motor would mount as the mount for the out runner. I will use the section of the floor so to speak the is covered by the nose for a battery mounting point. I will work that out more once I decide for sure what I am going to use for power. If I can keep the weight down to 5 pounds or less I figure 700 or so watts will be plenty. The trick part is finding a motor with low enough kv rating to let me turn a 20 or so inch prop at 700 watts on 5s with out needing a gear boxed out runner.

Mike
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:46 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
What do you guys think about a 3 or 4 blade prop?

I cant find a square enough prop in the 20" range. I have run the number on the apc 15.5x12 4 blade and the 15.75x13 3 blade and useing a motor and gear box I have on hand they both give me good thrust and pitch speed on 5s pulling 33-35 amps both getting right at 78% Efficiency.

Mike
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:19 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Started putting the back end on

Mike
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:40 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
I am deviating from the plans just a bit I forgot to pick up any dow rodes for the tail and I wanted to leave the bottom of the tail off until I get some long control rods. I plane on putting the servo's up front instead of on the tail. This takes a couple of oz's off the tail.

So I wasn't just looking at it I started working on the cabin "greenhouse". Now this is not glued it is just taped into place for a test fit but it is getting glued up now.

On the tail do to the thinness of the FFF I decided to a strip of 3/4" foam at the joints. This was only to give the glue a bit more area to grab not because I thought the tail needed any added strength.

Mike
Old Jul 26, 2008, 07:48 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
I am a bit concerned about the area where the wing struts attach to the fuse. So with that in mind I added a bit of wood to stiffen things up a bit. I will also run a 1/2"x1/4" hard wood across this area before attaching the wood to the outside of the foam for the wing strut mount.

As it sets here it wieghs in at a whopping 15.65oz. Yeap less then a pound and the fuss is nearly complete. Defiantly a record for me.

Mike
Old Jul 27, 2008, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,553 Posts
Looking good man, I need to finish my Mini Duck, then I'm gonna work on my Mud Duck Sport. The parts have been sitting for far too long lol. Good luck with the build. Hmmmm there ought to be a Mud Duck funfly arranged.
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:41 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Thanks matthew.

I just glued the tail in place I will post some picks as soon as it dries enough to move it. I am trying to figure out a paint scheme and you know I have to have some goodies on it. Don't know what yet. The duster is cool but I have some other idea's. Before I glued the horizontal stabilizer in place I weighed it with it taped on. It was tipping the scales at 20.25oz I think that is pretty dang good for a plane of this size and extremely good for me.

Mike
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:52 AM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Well the tail is in place. now if i can get the wings finished up "haven't started yet" next week I might get to put it in the air next weekend.

any one have any ideas about a paint job?

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:24 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Well got a little more work done. My scale's stopped working for some reason. I would be willing to bet it is the battery. I lost the plug along time ago and I am bad about leaving them on. But here is a photo of it setting on the floor with the wings setting beside the fuss.

Mike