HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2009, 11:18 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Micro towing with the Vapor...that sounds pretty darn fun. Please do post it up if/when you go for the project.
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2009, 01:46 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Nick,
Nice video of your HLG. Looks like it flys very well. Congrats on such a successful plane.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old May 14, 2009, 01:08 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Thanks, Gordon, just wait for round 2 with flaps and airbrakes

Nick
Old May 16, 2009, 10:47 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
How much dihedral on the wing? I think I will start building one of these tonight.... never built or flown a glider but this thread really caught my eye, Thanks
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old May 17, 2009, 11:34 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Thanks! I've got a little over an inch of dihedral on mine and it seems to be enough, though a little more might help stability. Please do post it if you build one, I'd love to see it.

Nick
Old May 17, 2009, 02:27 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
Well the wing is basically done. It sits at 6.5g without tissue. Now I just need to figure out the boom (or whatever its called). My LHS doesnt really stock carbon, only some "pushrod" sizes. Any alternatives? I was thinking of trying to roll some fiberglass over a waxed dowel, but that might be tough to get off in one piece.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:18 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
If I had some spare CF tube, I'd send it your way, our LHS carries a pretty decent selection of that sort of stuff. For an alternative though, perhaps balsa or basswood, with a CF strip running down the length of the entire thing. I've found the CF strip hold up against loads better than the tubing does in one direction, but it needs to be reinforced with something like balsa so it doesnt flex in the other direction...if that makes sense

Your fiberglass over a waxed dowel just might work, check out the hand launch forum, there's several threads on building your own booms. Even though they're for 60" gliders, the techinques work the same for our size, just gotta keep an eye on the weight.

Any pics?

Nick
Old May 18, 2009, 06:01 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
well heres my wing, finished weight 10 grams, too much? I didnt exactly have the thinnest tissue ever, and it wasnt really shrinking either.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:27 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
The wing looks good, nice work. I've got a few solid balsa wings and they weigh 10 grams or more each, so yours should be ok. The wing has enough wing area to handle the weight, so the weight will help wind penetration and launch heights.

Nick
Old May 18, 2009, 11:47 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
Well Nick, more progress! I did some boom rolling research and used some ideas along with some of my own to make a fiberglass boom. I dont know how stiff or strong it is in comparison to anything else, but I will try it out.

What we have here (minus the elastic which is just for the pics) is up to 14 grams. Still need a pod and radio gear... Now I'm starting to get worried about weight!
Old May 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Nice work on the boom. If you find its too flexible, another option would be a bamboo skewer or a wood dowel of some sort. I'll dig around in my box-o-stuff and see if I can find any leftover chunks of the CF rod I've been using. If I have a peice big enough, I can send it your way.

I cant remember what mine weighed empty, but if you're at 14 grams now, you still might be OK. I know I've flown mine at over 25 grams, usually when the winds are heavy, but you've got over 40 square inches of wing area, so you've got some wiggle room before the wingloading gets too high.

If I had enough kevlar left over, I could send you some of that along with the pod molds, but a balsa pod should work ok too. Going to go with the ParkZone RX?

Nick
Old May 19, 2009, 01:47 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
Maybe I will try and make a fiberglass pod... hmm.

As for the radio I havent decided. Either the parkzone like you or maybe a cheap reciever from bidproduct with some lightened 2.5 gram servos. But that depends on how light i can get it. Im waiting for it in the mail.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:30 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,678 Posts
Have you guys been over to the Indoor and Micro forums? Those guys are building scale (power) planes out of wet tissue soaked with white glue. I don't know how durable they are, but maybe there's something to it. Wonder if it would be as light (or strong) as fiberglass?
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old May 19, 2009, 11:28 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider
Maybe I will try and make a fiberglass pod... hmm.

As for the radio I havent decided. Either the parkzone like you or maybe a cheap reciever from bidproduct with some lightened 2.5 gram servos. But that depends on how light i can get it. Im waiting for it in the mail.
A fiberglass pod should work pleanty well. I didnt spare the epoxy when making my pod halves and they came in at around .8 grams a peice.

I've personally sworn off the blue arrow or generic 2.5-4 grams serovs as the failure rate is ridiculously high...out of at least 10 I've bought, I dont have a single one left that works! The Toki BioServos may be an option, about a gram a peice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72
Have you guys been over to the Indoor and Micro forums? Those guys are building scale (power) planes out of wet tissue soaked with white glue. I don't know how durable they are, but maybe there's something to it. Wonder if it would be as light (or strong) as fiberglass?
You mean the Indoor and Micro forum we're in right now?

Nick
Old May 20, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,678 Posts
Quote:
You mean the Indoor and Micro forum we're in right now?

Did you ever have one of those days when you'd forget your head if it wasn't screwed on? I'm having that life! DOH!!

I saw an article a couple of years ago about a guy that had used a "bio" servo like that one. First generation experimantal I'm sure. But he built a 1/72 scale P-47 using two of them. Seems like he was at MIT. Shoot, It was probably Dr Drela or the MIT KID wasn't it? I'll have to dig thru my magazines to find it again.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72